Denzel Ward

Ward Pick Yay or Nay   

56 members have voted

1. 1. Ward Pick Yay or Nay

On 9/5/2018 at 7:57 AM, jking948 said:

I was high on Ward after we drafted him, and he has looked like an impressive rookie this preseason, so here is my analysis.

Ward has played 34 snaps this preseason, with 21 in coverage. Out of those 21, he allowed five catches on six targets, but limited those catches to 36 total yards and only one first down.

What is more impressive is that, on all 34 snaps, Ward has covered the other team's primary corner. So out of 21 passing plays, the #1 opposing wide receiver has only caught five passes, and averaged a little over seven yards per catch.

Ward definitely looks like a rookie. He has struggled when he gets beat on short-yard pass attempts. Nonetheless, even on those attempts, he recovers well, and he has been elite at defending intermediate- and long-range passes.

excellent thought

On 9/5/2018 at 11:48 AM, buno67 said:

Also would you count getting beat on a short yard pass attempt as a failure? If a QB wants to throw a short pass let him. You trust the defense to pursuit to the ball. I wouldnā€™t want to get beat on any kind of pass but I would rather get beat on a short pass then a medium or long pass. Short pass still most likely makes them face a 2nd or 3rd. With Garrett a 2nd and short can easily turn into a 3rd and medium or 3rd and long in a heart beat!!!

Generally I agree with this with the exception being when you play 10-12 yards off to allow short passes which creates a lot of one on one opportunities for the offense in the open field. (See 2017 Browns defense).

Short *reasonably contested* completions I can live with.

15 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Generally I agree with this with the exception being when you play 10-12 yards off to allow short passes which creates a lot of one on one opportunities for the offense in the open field. (See 2017 Browns defense).

Short *reasonably contested* completions I can live with.

Yes.

"Zone tech" at 5-7 yards, allow a hitch completion, and a tackle at 3-6 yards is different than what we did all last year.

6 minutes ago, AkronsWitness said:

Anybody else find it weird that Ward was basically never even brought up on Hard Knocks despite being the #4 overall pick. No features, no cameras, no time, ect. Its almost like Ward even from the national media is flying farrrr under the radar.

He is a pretty boring dude so far. Hard working, heaps of talent. Potential to be top 5 in the nfl. Not funny.

I think we can over estimate what a 21 year old has to say. He is a kid that can run fast and ball out.

Just now, Kiwibrown said:

He is a pretty boring dude so far. Hard working, heaps of talent. Potential to be top 5 in the nfl. Not funny.

I think we can over estimate what a 21 year old has to say. He is a kid that can run fast and ball out.

I get that, but its just still weird that they never even bothered to give the #4 overall pick even 5 mins of highlight time. I even watch all of the nation NFL Network guys on shows and tey almost never bring up "the Browns have Denzel Ward in the secondary" discussion. Its weird. Like he doesnt exist.

8 hours ago, AkronsWitness said:

I get that, but its just still weird that they never even bothered to give the #4 overall pick even 5 mins of highlight time. I even watch all of the nation NFL Network guys on shows and tey almost never bring up "the Browns have Denzel Ward in the secondary" discussion. Its weird. Like he doesnt exist.

More shocked about Peppers considering the world wouldn't shut up about him 2 years ago.

16 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Eh, what he was doing at Michigan was a lot more exciting than just playing SS.

I completely agree. But he went from being a larger than life CFB star to a decent NFL player and it went suddenly quiet. Manziel and Tebow were bench scrubs and NFL trash and they couldn't escape the media. Peppers just sort of became ordinary. Its weird.

2 minutes ago, roger murdock said:

I completely agree. But he went from being a larger than life CFB star to a decent NFL player and it went suddenly quiet. Manziel and Tebow were bench scrubs and NFL trash and they couldn't escape the media. Peppers just sort of became ordinary. Its weird.

He failed a test at the combine, my speculation is that he may have been juicing.Ā 

He doesn't play like a 4.4 guy and he doesn't look as explosive as he did when he was across the lake. Ot where ever the hell Michigan is.Ā 

Your country is to big.Ā 

13 minutes ago, roger murdock said:

Peppers was highlighted because of his versatility and on-field accomplishments, which are much more traditional/normal now.

Tebow was a ā€œstarā€ in large part because of his personality and faith, JFF his attitude and production.

Tebow will always be a draw to the Christian fans, JFF comtinued to be a sideshow off the field and his epic flameout was noteworthy.

Peppers was always just a dude playing football, and still is, now heā€™s playing a more traditional role. Ā Also, Peppers wasnā€™t the star the other two were, you probably just got inundated with it because of your location and the local media.

Archived