Broncos decline Shane Ray's 5th year option

BullsandBroncos

Just now, Broncofan said:

BTW, here's the official NFL list right now as per Garofolo - Dante Fowler & Shane Ray aren't yet on the list - but no doubt, they will be by tomorrow (Fowler JAX just wants an extension that isn't as crazy as a top 10 EDGE/DE gets).   In Ray's case, the omission could mean Elway's making (or taking) last-minute phone calls.  We'll see by tomorrow.

Got to give the Patriots credit. They pick up other teams' young, cheap talent, put it on their roster, and then once the players become not-cheap, they let them walk and add more to the compensatory pipeline. Props for realizing how to further game the compensatory system (add more, cheap free agents -> keep the ones you want, dump the rest -> get draft picks)

2 minutes ago, SBLIII said:

Is the deadline tomorrow? Dante Fowler could command decent money in FA.

Yes it’s tomorrow.  JAX wants to get a LT deal done.  They are also in cap hell so they probably want a multi year deal that pushes the cap hit to later on.  

2 hours ago, Woz said:

Got to give the Patriots credit. They pick up other teams' young, cheap talent, put it on their roster, and then once the players become not-cheap, they let them walk and add more to the compensatory pipeline.

I’m convinced B.B. has a deal with the devil to give him the ability to get these deals done.  Along with his soul the deal came with 5 stipulations though:  

1.  He loses every deal with SF.  

2. He can’t win any playoff game at DEN.  

3.  He has to bench Malcolm Butler for at least 1 SB. 

4.  No WR he drafts before Day 3 ever works out (but he still needs to draft one every now and then).

5.  He had to draft Danny Etling this year as his 2018 QBOTF.  

Given all the SB rings it seems like a push.    

Thing is that Ray is only ever going to be our 3rd OLB behind Von and Chubb so no way we're setting the value at $9m per year. Depending on how his 2018 goes I could see us re-signing him for $5m-$6m a year if he proves to be a solid role player.

pretty good player, but with the chubb pick i get why they wouldnt want to pay 9 mil for him. Still remember when he was coimng into the draft a few guys said who would be a complete bust and didnt even deserve to be drafted.

9 hours ago, TheKillerNacho said:

Why would they not?

Because Shaq Barrett is a very similar player who is actually better in run support while also offering pass rush capability. Its either keep Barrett or Ray. They both play the same position and with paying Von+Chubb they cant afford both. Watch, the Broncos are going to let Ray walk and resign Barrett to a 4-5 year deal that would cost far less then whatever they would have to pay Ray. 

Its the Derek Wolfe/Malik Jackson situation all over again, they cant keep both so they keep the guy who they think will sign for less for similar production. That was Derek Wolfe and now its going to be Shaq Barrett.

Plus, Elway loves his undrafted home grown guys. He paid Chris Harris Jr, he paid CJ Anderson and now he will pay Shaq Barrett. All undrafted FAs lol

19 hours ago, Broncofan said:

KC is a team that's coming out of cap hell, but they're still around 20th-22nd in effective cap space, with Dee Ford & Mitch Morse needing extensions.   Don't see them as big players yet, and if Ray isn't great, then it's not an impact move anyways - it's if he's great, we lost a chance to get much better value than 2020 comp picks.  BTW, I have to revise what I said, we're still in terrible shape cap-wise, but now 5 teams are worse lol (so progress!  we're #27).

There are a lot of things that terrified me this past week - Elway drafting Josh Allen was my 2nd biggest fear.     Elway trading up for Josh Allen was my 1st.   Well, that's not true - clowns still are #1.    Ray leaving to KC doesn't really move the needle.      

If he goes off this year, which is POSSIBLE.  The needle will begin to wobble....His agent needs to turn in to Tony Robbins right about now....

13 hours ago, AkronsWitness said:

Because Shaq Barrett is a very similar player who is actually better in run support while also offering pass rush capability. Its either keep Barrett or Ray. They both play the same position and with paying Von+Chubb they cant afford both. Watch, the Broncos are going to let Ray walk and resign Barrett to a 4-5 year deal that would cost far less then whatever they would have to pay Ray. 

Its the Derek Wolfe/Malik Jackson situation all over again, they cant keep both so they keep the guy who they think will sign for less for similar production. That was Derek Wolfe and now its going to be Shaq Barrett.

Plus, Elway loves his undrafted home grown guys. He paid Chris Harris Jr, he paid CJ Anderson and now he will pay Shaq Barrett. All undrafted FAs lol

I've been liking him for a while now, I was actually hoping that a couple years ago if Ray Farmer was going to be dumb and trade Joe Thomas, they would have included him in the trade, dude is underrated. Joey Porter did a really good job with him while at Colorado State

On 2018-05-02 at 1:15 PM, Darth Pees said:

So far Ray seems to have an interesting career path. He got better each of his first two seasons, and then injuries kind of derailed last year and now they're not picking up his option because Chubb is here.

I think he'll be a solid FA acquisition for a team.

steelers because dupree  isn' the answer.  I wanted them to draft Ray but he was gone by then. Ray has 9had?) a good first step. Dupree is so slow off the snap, painful to watch AND ignorexD

• 2 weeks later...

Hmmm...would Ray make a decent LEO for the 9ers? I could be okay with giving up even a 3rd (4th or 5th would be easy to give up) if he could fill that role and do well at it. Not asking him to blow anyone away, just be a good outside pass rusher.

Doubt my 9ers trade for any pass rusher, but they certainly didn't think any in the draft could help them...

Archived