Does anybody else think Deshaun Watson is being crowned prematurely?

Bolts223

I think part of the "crowing" process includes him throwing to a really strong 1/2 combo in DeAndre Hopkins and Will Fuller. Hopkins is firmly entrenched as a top 5 WR, and Fuller is the ideal compliment as a deep threat that can get under any deep ball, no matter how deep it's flung. 

Watson might regress - but even with a regression, his top two targets will keep his numbers up to a point to where he's mentioned as a top QB by those who box score scout.

11 hours ago, DingoLadd said:

Every QB who has 5 or fewer seasons in the league isn't a top QB, they have the potential to be one if they can stay healthy and consistently play at a high level. So yes literally every QB that has had one good season isn't a top QB (Wentz, Foles, Goff, Dak, Watson etc.) I'd also argue some never get the hype train derailed such as Andrew Luck who despite not throwing for a football for over a year is still seen by some as a top 10 QB based purely on potential and some very good but not great seasons.

Very few QBs have done that for 3 or more seasons in a row at this point.

Seems a bit arbitrary. So 4 seasons of elite production and playoff success wouldn’t be enough? 

13 minutes ago, Yin-Yang said:

Seems a bit arbitrary. So 4 seasons of elite production and playoff success wouldn’t be enough? 

I mean if a QB comes out of the gate like say Watson did and keeps that up for 4 seasons you'd earn it at that point. It varies from QB to QB, some I'd say need 3 seasons some would need 4.

22 hours ago, Bolts223 said:

This isn't to say that I don't think he can be a great QB, I absolutely think he can be.

I just think that people are pretty much saying he is a guaranteed pro-bowl/franchise QB which is a completely ludicrous claim considering he's started a total of 6 games. That isn't to mention the concern about him fully recovering from injury.

I'd say this is endemic for almost any player that has a good initial showing. Too quick to be crowned by the media, fans, social media types etc...

@FourThreeMafia put it better a few months ago, but I can't find the quote.

4 hours ago, lancerman said:
12 hours ago, Nabbs4u said:

There's a massive difference from crowning a player legit and comparing him to 3 future HOF/All time Greats!!!

Watson would also be considered Legit if he lives up to the standards of say Stafford, Ryan, Rivers and Wilson. That too is entirely possible. The 3 you listed is unlikely for the vast majority of every QB in the league. Just saying.

Ryan, Rivers, Wilson have played at their level for years. We’ve seen dozens of young QB’s have a hot first or 2nd year. Last year a lot of people in the media and here were saying Dak should be MVP. 

I don't disagree with the premise that it needs to be proven for more then a season or handful of games. However I did disagree with comparing him to the 3 HOF as the benchmark.

As for the rest of the QB listed I'm pretty sure we all saw with them as well how special they were. "Crowning" them in the process too. I'm not saying or suggesting that Watson is the next great......but he doesn't have to be the next GOAT to be on his way. That's all.

Time will tell. To be clear I'm in the boat of its way to friggen early based off 5-6 games. 

7 hours ago, Broncofan said:

There are 2 Q’s being asked in reality.   

Is Watson likely to be as good as his first 6 games?  Probably not, because his style is so different to defend (mobile QB who’s actually a pocket passer) and to expect initially.   D’s assume the guy is a run first untested guy and they can rattle him.  That approach clearly backfired.   D’s will adjust their plan.   Happens all the time.   

But Watson’s best skills are pocket awareness, rapid read progression and recognition of what the D is doing.   And anticipation combined with the above.  It’s what makes his average arm and good-but-nowhere near elite mobility play up.   Everyone who was wrong on Watson last year correctly assumed the latter physical skills were just average to above-average and not enough to succeed consistently.   The former skills are what were underestimated.   Given that those non-physical skills predict long-term NFL success it’s also a much higher likelihood Watson can adjust back to whatever D’s do now and remain successful.  

Given the above what’s the likely path now? Elite?   Unlikely.  If that’s the only Q...sure.   But the real Q should be - Legit franchise QB?  Barring injury, that’s very likely.  It’s not the success with 6 games that matters - it’s how he’s succeeding.   It isn’t a new scheme (Foles with Chip Kelly in PHI) or just m relying on physical tools (RG3).  We’ve seen it and it never lasts.   Watson’s reasons for success (barring injury of course) are more durable.  They also mean it really unlikely hes A-Rod level, either.   But legit franchise guy?   Yeah, I’m sold. 

Neither Brees or Brady were elite 1st year they started. I'm not sure how you can rule that out until at least a few seasons into his career. In Brees case it was finding the perfect coach in payton that turned his career into a HOF one. Brady wasn't putting up the numbers he does until at least 2007.

1 minute ago, Classic said:

Neither Brees or Brady were elite 1st year they started. I'm not sure how you can rule that out until at least a few seasons into his career. In Brees case it was finding the perfect coach in payton that turned his career into a HOF one. Brady wasn't putting up the numbers he does until at least 2007.

Rule it out?  Never.   Just you can't project that with any degree of confidence from 6 games.   We see it all the time where D's adjust - in Watson's case, teams thought his average physical talents could be overcome with pressure and forcing quick decisions - that's how you get most rookie QB's.   In his case, it backfired spectacularly.  Now we have to see how team D's will adjust.  They certainly will not be thinking that he won't be able to recognize, read and react with initial pressure.   The chess game starts for real in 2018.  

Could he be a top 3 guy?  Sure.   But these 6 games aren't giving me any confidence alone.   That's an important distinction. 

3 hours ago, DingoLadd said:

I mean if a QB comes out of the gate like say Watson did and keeps that up for 4 seasons you'd earn it at that point. It varies from QB to QB, some I'd say need 3 seasons some would need 4.

So we’re down to 3 or 4 now. I’m assuming 2 is not enough. 

I’m just saying, it’s pretty arbitrary.

I’m all for guys going out there and proving it - more often than not, for multiple seasons - but I also don’t have problems calling a spade a spade. Things can fluctuate, some positions more so than others (QB play moreso than OL, but less so than CB) but I don’t really have a problem calling most of the above players franchise quarterbacks.

21 hours ago, stl4life07 said:

No! I’ve liked Watson since at Clemson. Did you not see what he did to Bama defense twice? That’s when Saban had an historic Bama defense in those years with extra time to prepare for Watson. Like Watson could’ve beaten Saban twice but the first time he just ran out of time. The second time he won.

Kaep and Jimmy G never did those things in college. People crowned them too fast. I told people to pump the breaks on Kaep and I’m telling people to pump the breaks on Jimmy G. Watson is the real deal. He showed it in college and when got his shot in the NFL we saw it. 

College is irrelevant in the NFL.

Archived