Does anybody else think Deshaun Watson is being crowned prematurely?

Bolts223

11 minutes ago, jrry32 said:

Hard to say. Depends on what we're crowning him.

This.

If were saying guaranteed top five QB? Top ten? Hell yes.

But a Franchise QB? Who knows. That's a broad term. You don't have to be one of the best to lead a franchise for a decade plus.

This place is known for its epic knee jerking. A few good games is apparently enough for some people to put a player in the top five, and a few bad games is enough to say a proven great player is, "done".

And this isn't knocking on Watson at all. I think he has a chance to be very good. However no one should be crowning him as anything other than a promising young player at this point. He could still go either way.... Especially given his health issues.

5 hours ago, Classic said:

Neither Brees or Brady were elite 1st year they started. I'm not sure how you can rule that out until at least a few seasons into his career. In Brees case it was finding the perfect coach in payton that turned his career into a HOF one. Brady wasn't putting up the numbers he does until at least 2007.

No but year 2 Brady led the league in TD's and year 3 Brady was 3rd in MVP voting, and year 4 he was largely regarded as the closest comparison to Manning who was having a historic season.

1 hour ago, FourThreeMafia said:

This place is known for its epic knee jerking. A few good games is apparently enough for some people to put a player in the top five, and a few bad games is enough to say a proven great player is, "done".

And this isn't knocking on Watson at all. I think he has a chance to be very good. However no one should be crowning him as anything other than a promising young player at this point. He could still go either way.... Especially given his health issues.

So.  Boring.   Boooooooooooooooooooooooo.   Please turn in your FF membership - you know you're only allowed to veer to "GOAT is a lock"  or "he'll be out of the league, doing infomercials in 3 years, right next to Vince Young and RGIII".  Pick a side, dammit.

The most reasonable answers aren't what we're looking for in FFGen.   Come on, you know better.

He could be a good one, but i think it's hard to crown any of these QBs who incorporate running as a central element of their success as any kind of surefire long-term top QB.  Same as it's hard to suggest any particular "elite" RB is going to remain at the top of the heap long-term anymore.  The more a guy runs, the more risk i think you introduce that the guy will start to break down physically.  And for a QB whose success is heavily predicated on the run threat...physical decline/breaking down over time can be an insurmountable obstacle if they don't develop into a high level passer from the pocket.

Whether Watson will develop into a quality passer independent of his running/scrambling ability remains to be seen.  So in that sense...yeah, i think it's absolutely premature.  Especially with the guy coming off a significant injury that we've seen rob other "athletic running QB rookie phenoms" of their shine.

1 minute ago, Tugboat said:

He could be a good one, but i think it's hard to crown any of these QBs who incorporate running as a central element of their success as any kind of surefire long-term top QB.  Same as it's hard to suggest any particular "elite" RB is going to remain at the top of the heap long-term anymore.  The more a guy runs, the more risk i think you introduce that the guy will start to break down physically.  And for a QB whose success is heavily predicated on the run threat...physical decline/breaking down over time can be an insurmountable obstacle if they don't develop into a high level passer from the pocket.

Whether Watson will develop into a quality passer independent of his running/scrambling ability remains to be seen.  So in that sense...yeah, i think it's absolutely premature.  Especially with the guy coming off a significant injury that we've seen rob other "athletic running QB rookie phenoms" of their shine.

My only counter to your concern is that Watson isn't a run-first QB.    People saw that CIN TD run and think that's his game.  It's not - he actually mostly just ran for his life when that terrible OL broke down.    He's a QB that extends plays with his legs, but still looks to pass first.  That's crucial for him, because he's actually only average to just above-average in his physical mobility skills.  He just has near-elite level pocket awareness and great anticipation skills that make those very average physical skills play up.

Still, you are absolutely spot-on that Watson can't keep running as much as he did in those 6 games and expect to stay healthy (ironic that the injury happened in practice and non-contact, but the risk of running 100x a season is too high in today's NFL for a guy his size and not protected by the NFL rules once out of the pocket).   It's why beefing up the OL remains a priority (and why HOU absolutely lucked into Martinas Rankin at 3.80, even if they couldn't land a pure LT, he may fit the bill there, and if not, he upgrades a key spot somewhere there.  No doubt it will be a 2019 priority to re-upgrade as well.

45 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

My only counter to your concern is that Watson isn't a run-first QB.    People saw that CIN TD run and think that's his game.  It's not - he actually mostly just ran for his life when that terrible OL broke down.    He's a QB that extends plays with his legs, but still looks to pass first.  That's crucial for him, because he's actually only average to just above-average in his physical mobility skills.  He just has near-elite level pocket awareness and great anticipation skills that make those very average physical skills play up.

Still, you are absolutely spot-on that Watson can't keep running as much as he did in those 6 games and expect to stay healthy (ironic that the injury happened in practice and non-contact, but the risk of running 100x a season is too high in today's NFL for a guy his size and not protected by the NFL rules once out of the pocket).   It's why beefing up the OL remains a priority (and why HOU absolutely lucked into Martinas Rankin at 3.80, even if they couldn't land a pure LT, he may fit the bill there, and if not, he upgrades a key spot somewhere there.  No doubt it will be a 2019 priority to re-upgrade as well.

I don't think Watson is some "run first" QB, but it is a pretty central component of what makes his game work as a passer.  Accounting for that run threat was pretty clearly a big element of his success in the short sample we saw.  And even just in scrambling to buy time to make those explosive plays downfield as a passer, that help offset what was a goodly number of turnovers and mistakes.

I think Watson more than a lot of "dual threat" QBs showed the potential to develop into a reliable pocket passer, even in college.  But it's still very much up in the air imo, and will be what ultimately determines if he can stick around as a top-end NFL QB...or fades away like others as the physical traits and running ability inevitably diminish and/or are decimated by injury as has happened to others.

did every single football message board on the planet make this exact same thread at the same time? this is literally the same thread someone made on reddit the other day

2 hours ago, Broncofan said:

So.  Boring.   Boooooooooooooooooooooooo.   Please turn in your FF membership - you know you're only allowed to veer to "GOAT is a lock"  or "he'll be out of the league, doing infomercials in 3 years, right next to Vince Young and RGIII".  Pick a side, dammit.

The most reasonable answers aren't what we're looking for in FFGen.   Come on, you know better.

I know, but I cant help it.  

I dont mind speculation about who may be top 5 in a few years....but I mean, a few years ago there was a thread asking if Brady was done?   Mid way through last season, alot of people were claiming Ben and Rivers were done.    And there have been a bunch of QBs who were vastly overrated based on one good year.

I said it a thousand times before.....the difference between guys like Brady, Brees, Rodgers, Ben, Rivers ,etc.....is CONSISTENCY.   Not many QBs can maintain a high level of play year after year for 10+ years.   Thats why Peyton, Brady, Brees, Rodgers, Ben, Rivers and Romo were locks in the top 8 for about 10 years and then a bunch of others QBs that kind of poked in an out of the top 10, but never maintained a high enough level to stay there.

On 5/3/2018 at 1:54 AM, DingoLadd said:

Every QB who has 5 or fewer seasons in the league isn't a top QB, they have the potential to be one if they can stay healthy and consistently play at a high level. So yes literally every QB that has had one good season isn't a top QB (Wentz, Foles, Goff, Dak, Watson etc.) I'd also argue some never get the hype train derailed such as Andrew Luck who despite not throwing for a football for over a year is still seen by some as a top 10 QB based purely on potential and some very good but not great seasons.

Very few QBs have done that for 3 or more seasons in a row at this point.

I never got the Luck Hype , he was crowned the GOAT / Next coming of Christ before he ever threw a pass in the NFL. He had talent sure , but so does everyone that is drafted . You just never know how that will in the NFL compared to college level.  At same time you can start to see what a QB will become or how good he can be within 2 -3 years with some. You have to also factor in the team they play for and the talent around them.  

On ‎5‎/‎3‎/‎2018 at 11:09 PM, tab said:

did every single football message board on the planet make this exact same thread at the same time? this is literally the same thread someone made on reddit the other day

no, just 2.

Archived