BDL Discussion Thread *OWNERS MEETING STARTS 1/31/18*

Jlash

5 minutes ago, DingoLadd said:

I guess by that logic I should start Dalton too. 

This is starting to get ridiculous with you guys saying, "I should start X guy over Y guy then, right?" Passer rating is a very good indicator of how a QB is playing. Give me a break with this crap where Dalton has a 90.6 and Rivers has an 87.8. No, I wouldn't start Dalton over Rivers because of a 2.8 difference in passer rating. Do I really have to explain this?

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, DraftHobbyist said:

This is starting to get ridiculous with you guys saying, "I should start X guy over Y guy then, right?" Passer rating is a very good indicator of how a QB is playing. Give me a break with this crap where Dalton has a 90.6 and Rivers has an 87.8. No, I wouldn't start Dalton over Rivers because of a 2.8 difference in passer rating. Do I really have to explain this?

Nah mate I'm just messing with ya, I get the point you're making I just like to have a go at people. 

tenor.gif

• Like 2

I think Ryan fits Ted's offense a bit better so i'd persist with Ryan, but all else equal Smith has been better and frankly he's been the best QB in the league this year not named Brady, Brees or Rodgers. 

On historical performance I'd trust Ryan over the course of a season because generally he's been the better QB throughout his career, but on a week to week basis at the moment in the BDL format I'd be going with Smith assuming an equal fit to the rest of the offense. 

On a side note I'm glad Smith's playing so well and finally getting the recognition he deserves. I've long thought he was underrated and the whole game manager thing was a bit silly. Throwing deep =/= being a good QB. I think he's comfortably been in that top 15 discussion for some time now, most of his KC years for sure. Realistically he operates the offense very similar to the way Brady does, without getting the same plaudits. Obviously he's no Brady, but he hasn't had near 20 years of continuity behind him either. Further to that point I don't think a "limited" offense is necessarily a bad one either. Give me consistent 6-7 yard gains and sustained drives over the big plays. I don't think it's too much of a surprise that as the OL has improved from year to year in KC and the offensive weapons are better and more diverse, we're seeing him really kick on. Obviously not my favourite thing in the world as a Broncos fan but credit where credit is due, Smith's balling out.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, WFLukic said:

I think Ryan fits Ted's offense a bit better so i'd persist with Ryan, but all else equal Smith has been better and frankly he's been the best QB in the league this year not named Brady, Brees or Rodgers. 

On historical performance I'd trust Ryan over the course of a season because generally he's been the better QB throughout his career, but on a week to week basis at the moment in the BDL format I'd be going with Smith assuming an equal fit to the rest of the offense. 

On a side note I'm glad Smith's playing so well and finally getting the recognition he deserves. I've long thought he was underrated and the whole game manager thing was a bit silly. Throwing deep =/= being a good QB. I think he's comfortably been in that top 15 discussion for some time now, most of his KC years for sure. Realistically he operates the offense very similar to the way Brady does, without getting the same plaudits. Obviously he's no Brady, but he hasn't had near 20 years of continuity behind him either. Further to that point I don't think a "limited" offense is necessarily a bad one either. Give me consistent 6-7 yard gains and sustained drives over the big plays. I don't think it's too much of a surprise that as the OL has improved from year to year in KC and the offensive weapons are better and more diverse, we're seeing him really kick on. Obviously not my favourite thing in the world as a Broncos fan but credit where credit is due, Smith's balling out.

I don't think you can fault Ted for starting either guy. But Ryan is the bigger name and reigning MVP so he's probably better off. 

And the criticism of Smith being a game manager was fair, to me. So many analysts broke down tape of him seeing a WR open down field and electing to check down to the safer option. That limited the offense for a while. This year it seems like he's letting it fly a bit more. 

edit: And no one said he was a bad QB when he was happy to check down all game, it just said it limited the versatility of the offense because he refused to threaten down field.

Edited by Jlash

25 minutes ago, Jlash said:

I don't think you can fault Ted for starting either guy. But Ryan is the bigger name and reigning MVP so he's probably better off. 

And the criticism of Smith being a game manager was fair, to me. So many analysts broke down tape of him seeing a WR open down field and electing to check down to the safer option. That limited the offense for a while. This year it seems like he's letting it fly a bit more. 

edit: And no one said he was a bad QB when he was happy to check down all game, it just said it limited the versatility of the offense because he refused to threaten down field.

Arguably, a large part of that was likely due to the weapons he had on hand and not trusting them to make the necessary play.  The growth of Hill, addition of Hunt, and constant over the past couple years in Kelce has given him more reason to take those shots.  

Just now, Ragnarok said:

Arguably, a large part of that was likely due to the weapons he had on hand and not trusting them to make the necessary play.  The growth of Hill, addition of Hunt, and constant over the past couple years in Kelce has given him more reason to take those shots.  

Don't blame the players that he's not throwing the ball too. 

2 minutes ago, Counselor said:

Does London get to use Bortles this week? I need to know for my write up

They can yes.

You can always mention the issues a QB would have coming in and learning a system with 3 days prep though.  

3 minutes ago, Ragnarok said:

They can yes.

You can always mention the issues a QB would have coming in and learning a system with 3 days prep though.  

Oh these games are played on Sunday since everyone wants to use sunday performances in their evaluations. So a one day prep is more like it