Bears Decline Kevin White's Option

WindyCity

The Bears won't pick up WR Kevin White's option for 2019, source says. Would've been for $13.9 million. So he's officially in his contract year. Bears CB Kyle Fuller was in a similar position last year and cashed in when he suddenly balled out.

39 minutes ago, RunningVaccs said:

Anyone else been waiting for this?  Just like when KW probably gets cut next year, I'll be checking in furiously to see the Windy reaction.

Windy, I hope this brings some small measure of peace 

There was like 10% of me that was worried that Pace would not be able to let go of the sunk cost.

Glad the right decision was made.

I honestly don't know how this dude sees the field if everyone is healthy... Robinson should lead us in targets, Gabriel is going to be very active taking the top off the defense, Miller is going to own the slot if/when Gabriel isn't in there.

2 hours ago, G08 said:

I honestly don't know how this dude sees the field if everyone is healthy... Robinson should lead us in targets, Gabriel is going to be very active taking the top off the defense, Miller is going to own the slot if/when Gabriel isn't in there.

They also have a 2nd round TE from last year and Burton is going to be used a LOT as a flex TE. White may be healthy for all 16 games, while being on the sideline. 

33 minutes ago, Pool said:

I don't get the hate. It's not like this kid has acted like some primadonna dbag. He just keeps getting hurt. 

Not hate. Guy's body just too fragile or unlucky for the NFL.

Even many or most of us that HATED the pick don't hate the kid. Just the idea of drafting a raw one year of college production WR to a Bear's team coming off of two historically bad defense seasons was seen as a luxury pick to a team short several NFL level starters. When you've got a bottle of ketchup and two stale carrots in the fridge you don't go out and buy Grey Poupon mustard.

7 hours ago, WindyCity said:

There was like 10% of me that was worried that Pace would not be able to let go of the sunk cost.

Glad the right decision was made.

This is the first chance Pace has had to make any move showing us his position on White’s future without outright eating a fully guaranteed contract at a position at which we were already lacking in upside players. He has literally spent the past 2 months doing everything he can by signing Robinson, Gabriel and Burton and drafting Miller and Wims to make it clear that Kevin White will only be a part of the plan if he can dictate it on the field.

I don’t understand why you feel the need to spike the ball on the kid here - he’s worked his *** off trying to be everything Pace envisioned when he took him in the top 10 in spite of several major injuries when a lesser player or person might have thrown in the towel, taken their $16.5M in guarantees and moved on to the next phase of their life. I have a ton of respect for Kevin White personally. We would be incredibly fortunate if every one of our players was as committed to maxing out their NFL potential as White. It’s said that true character shows itself in the face of adversity, and to me Kevin White has shown, repeatedly, to be a role model for others in how to carry themselves. I don’t know that he’s ever going to amount to anything in the NFL here or anywhere else, but I’m for damn sure going to be pulling for him. That’s a guy I want around the other guys on my team. 

2 hours ago, AZBearsFan said:

he’s worked his *** off trying to be everything Pace envisioned when he took him in the top 10 

Imagine if he combined that work ethic with a modicum of health; he might have developed into a dominant receiver and justified his draft position. Like you, AZ, I'm pulling for him. 

3 hours ago, yomyyo said:

Imagine if he combined that work ethic with a modicum of health; he might have developed into a dominant receiver and justified his draft position. Like you, AZ, I'm pulling for him. 

Same.  Ive already talked about the Kevin White lottery ticket.  I hope the kid has a great year and gets a nice deal after showing he still has the skills that got him drafted.  Ik for damn sure that Nagy's offense is the best fit hes seen in his entire career so far.

Archived