Bears Decline Kevin White's Option

WindyCity

48 minutes ago, Heinz D. said:

Is he pouncing on a tweet of White's, or something? o.O

No, he just likes to make fun of the Kevin White truthers and hopers as much as I do.

We do have 2 top 10 picks this season. That sort of stuff.

Not surprising at all.

We should now expect White to go out and have a monster season in 2018 and force the Bears to make a hard decision next off season, because that's just how it goes right? :D

7 hours ago, topwop1 said:

Not surprising at all.

We should now expect White to go out and have a monster season in 2018 and force the Bears to make a hard decision next off season, because that's just how it goes right? :D

That’d be a great problem to have. Say he does though - we’ve got $20M invested in Robinson and Gabriel next year and a 2nd round pick in Miller, and $8M more in Burton. How much can we realistically give him? 

3 hours ago, AZBearsFan said:

That’d be a great problem to have. Say he does though - we’ve got $20M invested in Robinson and Gabriel next year and a 2nd round pick in Miller, and $8M more in Burton. How much can we realistically give him? 

Idc what we have invested,  Tru is on his rookie deal so we need to find 2-3 core guts for us to rely on when it is time to re-sign the WR/TEs. 

14 minutes ago, Sugashane said:

Idc what we have invested,  Tru is on his rookie deal so we need to find 2-3 core guts for us to rely on when it is time to re-sign the WR/TEs. 

Ok, I agree wholeheartedly regardless of who those 2-3 are, so if White stays healthy and is good this year are you willing to commit to him for more than one year in guarantees given his history just because he was healthy in 2018? Assume he’d get a Paul Richardson-esque 5/40 with 16 guaranteed with what will have been a similar injury history. You good with that? I have no dog in this fight at this point - just playing out the hypothetical a bit further. I’m a big Kevin White supporter, but I’m not sure how I’d feel about that. 

1 minute ago, AZBearsFan said:

Ok, I agree wholeheartedly regardless of who those 2-3 are, so if White stays healthy and is good this year are you willing to commit to him for more than one year in guarantees given his history just because he was healthy in 2018? Assume he’d get a Paul Richardson-esque 5/40 with 16 guaranteed with what will have been a similar injury history. You good with that? I have no dog in this fight at this point - just playing out the hypothetical a bit further. I’m a big Kevin White supporter, but I’m not sure how I’d feel about that. 

Absolutely, I have no dog in the fight either, I am just being realistic. Burton is an unproven mismatch TE with 60 receptions the last 2 years, and Gabriel was a deep threat who had great moments, but couldn't really take over a game even though he had Julio and Sanu taking the brunt of the DC's attention. Gabriel has never posted a 100 yard game. Even Hester did that, Knox and Berrian and even Earl Bennett did that. I love that he fills a role, and might be able to do more with more opportunities, but he is not someone I am betting the farm on. If healthy, Meredith is a far superior talent to Gabriel, and it isn't even close IMO. For Burton, it seems like the best TEs have been paid before they really earned it, but they were paid early, then produced big-time, and now they look like they are steals. Others were guys like Fleener... lol

But back to your question. That big of a commitment, no. But if he balls out and plays like the Bears had hoped when drafting him I would be fine with giving him a one year deal, something like the $13 mil he would have had for his 5th year option had he been offered it. Should he ball out again, I franchise him and give him one more shot. If he dominates, then he and either Burton/Gabriel will be kept (I don't believe both live up to their contracts, but I'd LOVE to be wrong).  So he gets big money if he can stay healthy and play great for the next 3 years (this year rookie deal - "5th year option" - franchise). If at any of those 3 years he flounders or gets a major injury, wish him the best of luck as he looks for a new team. The kid hasn't done anything wrong, he just has had horrible luck with health.

A pick up that slipped way under the radar has been Shaq Roland...I remember him as South Carolina and he has a real shot of getting at least in invite to camp to put even more pressure on our WRs...wouldn't shock me if he ended up beating out Wims who I also like...bottom of the WR depth chart looks so much more competitive now.

On 2018-05-11 at 7:01 AM, Madmike90 said:

A pick up that slipped way under the radar has been Shaq Roland...I remember him as South Carolina and he has a real shot of getting at least in invite to camp to put even more pressure on our WRs...wouldn't shock me if he ended up beating out Wims who I also like...bottom of the WR depth chart looks so much more competitive now.

I think White May be in trouble. Especially if some of these guys show up on special teams.

He would have to grab the WR 4 positon, otherwise he could be cut. He can’t be 5-6 those guys need to be special teams staples.

3 hours ago, WindyCity said:

I think White May be in trouble. Especially if some of these guys show up on special teams.

He would have to grab the WR 4 positon, otherwise he could be cut. He can’t be 5-6 those guys need to be special teams staples.

If he is WR5-6 he may still be on the team but not active too. 

Archived