Bears Decline Kevin White's Option

WindyCity

13 hours ago, WindyCity said:

I think White May be in trouble. Especially if some of these guys show up on special teams.

He would have to grab the WR 4 positon, otherwise he could be cut. He can’t be 5-6 those guys need to be special teams staples.

I think given that it looks like they will give Miller a chance at kick returning duty you only really need one our receiver to play teams and that would be the 6th guy...I think White will be the clear cut #4 on this team in terms of WR.

12 minutes ago, howru8888 said:

At this point considering the current roster maybe the Bears are better off seeing if there is team that would be willing to take a chance on White for a 5th round pick and just be done with him.

Hard to say if there'd be any takers. I've long been a proponent that the $2 mil owed him is worth a slot, just to get some other guy up to speed. Bears seem determined to give White a shot, though. 

1 hour ago, howru8888 said:

At this point considering the current roster maybe the Bears are better off seeing if there is team that would be willing to take a chance on White for a 5th round pick and just be done with him.

There is no chance a team trades a 5th round pick for a guy who has played 5 games in 3 years due to injury. Had White been Antonio Brown before an injury stretch like that then MAYBE there’d be a shot, but that’s not the case. If we could get a conditional 7th rounder in 2020 at this juncture I’d be pretty shocked tbh, and for that return we may as well keep him anyway. 

22 hours ago, Madmike90 said:

I think given that it looks like they will give Miller a chance at kick returning duty you only really need one our receiver to play teams and that would be the 6th guy...I think White will be the clear cut #4 on this team in terms of WR.

Clear cut seems way too strong.

Traditionally the Bears have had at least 2 WRs that have been heavily involved in special teams. If they keep 6 they will 100% need 2 to play special teams as they will probably trim at WR or RB.

At this point is the best pro comparison for Kevin White Cordarelle Patterson? Big, physical freaks, who have suspect hands and cannot run routes. Patterson is a core special teamer and return man and has salvaged some NFL value.

7 hours ago, WindyCity said:

Clear cut seems way too strong.

Traditionally the Bears have had at least 2 WRs that have been heavily involved in special teams. If they keep 6 they will 100% need 2 to play special teams as they will probably trim at WR or RB.

At this point is the best pro comparison for Kevin White Cordarelle Patterson? Big, physical freaks, who have suspect hands and cannot run routes. Patterson is a core special teamer and return man and has salvaged some NFL value.

I wouldn't agree that White has looked less natural than Patterson when healthy.

2 hours ago, Madmike90 said:

I wouldn't agree that White has looked less natural than Patterson when healthy.

We really haven’t seen him. But I think he is closer to Patterson that a contributing WR. Especially if you put weight into how bad he looked in camp and the preseason last year.

I do not think that it is out of the question to expect some special teams contributions from him. He is clearly not going to be in the top 3 WRs, so he should get some run on teams. I am not really interested in a starting WR like Miller returning kicks.

Otherwise he has to be the 4th guy. The 5th guy May make  the team solely because of teams and not offense at all.

5 hours ago, WindyCity said:

We really haven’t seen him. But I think he is closer to Patterson that a contributing WR. Especially if you put weight into how bad he looked in camp and the preseason last year.

I do not think that it is out of the question to expect some special teams contributions from him. He is clearly not going to be in the top 3 WRs, so he should get some run on teams. I am not really interested in a starting WR like Miller returning kicks.

Otherwise he has to be the 4th guy. The 5th guy May make  the team solely because of teams and not offense at all.

Every regime runs the bottom of the roster differently. Nagy & Pace could just as easily elect to keep an extra DB to fill that ST only role (Toliver?) in lieu of using his WR5 in that role. Or possibly a LB. Or a TE. Plenty of options. 

On 5/13/2018 at 10:34 PM, AZBearsFan said:

There is no chance a team trades a 5th round pick for a guy who has played 5 games in 3 years due to injury. Had White been Antonio Brown before an injury stretch like that then MAYBE there’d be a shot, but that’s not the case. If we could get a conditional 7th rounder in 2020 at this juncture I’d be pretty shocked tbh, and for that return we may as well keep him anyway. 

Honestly I would be shocked too. I think the only way he isn't a Bear this season is to be outright cut or if we traded another team one of our picks to take his contract off our hands. If we were going after Hankins or Breeland and just want to free up the cap space. We have over $10 mil though so IDK. I think it is cut or play they year out.

8 hours ago, AZBearsFan said:

Every regime runs the bottom of the roster differently. Nagy & Pace could just as easily elect to keep an extra DB to fill that ST only role (Toliver?) in lieu of using his WR5 in that role. Or possibly a LB. Or a TE. Plenty of options. 

But you still run out of roster spots. I think every team in the league has a WR or 2 that are primary special teams guys.

It is hard to keep 5 WRs and a 4th TE and a 5th ILB because of roster numbers.

I think Fowler or Bellamy, please let it be Fowler, are battling for the 5th WR and the special teams role.

That leaves White vs the Field for the 4th role,

If there is a single player in the league that should not be exposed to special teams play it's Kevin White.

The guy has been hurt preparing for the season, much the less just in games.

Having White literally severed in half covering a kickoff will at least take the attention away from the concussion issue for awhile.

10 minutes ago, 51to54 said:

If there is a single player in the league that should not be exposed to special teams play it's Kevin White.

The guy has been hurt preparing for the season, much the less just in games.

Having White literally severed in half covering a kickoff will at least take the attention away from the concussion issue for awhile.

If you cannot stay healthy on special teams then what makes you think he can stay healthy on offense.

Or should be bubble wrap him and keep him in the China hutch on the sideline so that we do not have to cut him or play him?

1 hour ago, WindyCity said:

If you cannot stay healthy on special teams then what makes you think he can stay healthy on offense.

Or should be bubble wrap him and keep him in the China hutch on the sideline so that we do not have to cut him or play him?

I don't think that he can stay healthy. It's rare for a guy to have so many season ending injuries, especially right out of college, and then suddenly become a robust player. Bad luck or bad genes, he just does not look like his frame can handle the NFL.

3 hours ago, 51to54 said:

I don't think that he can stay healthy. It's rare for a guy to have so many season ending injuries, especially right out of college, and then suddenly become a robust player. Bad luck or bad genes, he just does not look like his frame can handle the NFL.

I think it's his bones, not necessarily his frame. But overall, yeah, you're right. He shouldn't even be on the team, IMO. Hard to believe that whatever is wrong with him isn't quantifiable, really. 

Archived