Bears Decline Kevin White's Option

WindyCity

7 hours ago, WindyCity said:

But you still run out of roster spots. I think every team in the league has a WR or 2 that are primary special teams guys.

It is hard to keep 5 WRs and a 4th TE and a 5th ILB because of roster numbers.

I think Fowler or Bellamy, please let it be Fowler, are battling for the 5th WR and the special teams role.

That leaves White vs the Field for the 4th role,

Yes, roster spots are finite. But, whether your ST ONLY guy is a CB or WR makes no difference whatsoever. 5 WR and 6 CB, or 6 WR and 5 CB. Both add to 11. It’s all about game day depth. If the Bears are going to have 4 TE active, and both Sims and Daniel Brown play ST then having a 5th or 6th active WR who can play ST but also WR only in a pinch is less important, and even more so with Cohen’s versatility to line up as a WR. There should be plenty of depth without needing Bellamy around as an emergency only WR on Sunday. I’m that case just put the best ST player out there.

Frankly if teams were able to have all 53 active then I suspect very few WR would play on coverage teams. 

On 5/3/2018 at 12:30 PM, WindyCity said:

My guess is that he will be the backup to Allen Robinson, which means we should see some of him in camp as Robinson is geared up for week 1.

Nagy has talked about the importance of route running. That does not really jive with Kevin White who, when he is actually on the field, has not shown to be a sharp or good route runner.

If healthy I think he will be rotated in from time to time to run intermediate to deep routes.

Injuries aside THAT has also been White's biggest weakness because he really wasn't required to know that route tree in college either.  He always lined up in one position on one side of the field and ran the same handful of routes from there.  He was expected to win with his speed and his size.  Great physical traits but way too raw for a top ten pick.  Edmunds was this years White and I'm glad we didn't bite.

His confidence is at a low ebb by now so if Nagy wants to get much out of him I'd forget the route tree for now as well and simply have him run those same deep routes and crossing routes he ran in college and call it a day.  If he can stay on the field for 16 games and produce a bit we can decide what to do with him next spring.  Maybe a one year deal to see whether he can stay healthy and keep improving.....or we let him walk.

17 hours ago, soulman said:

Injuries aside THAT has also been White's biggest weakness because he really wasn't required to know that route tree in college either.  He always lined up in one position on one side of the field and ran the same handful of routes from there.  He was expected to win with his speed and his size.  Great physical traits but way too raw for a top ten pick.  Edmunds was this years White and I'm glad we didn't bite.

His confidence is at a low ebb by now so if Nagy wants to get much out of him I'd forget the route tree for now as well and simply have him run those same deep routes and crossing routes he ran in college and call it a day.  If he can stay on the field for 16 games and produce a bit we can decide what to do with him next spring.  Maybe a one year deal to see whether he can stay healthy and keep improving.....or we let him walk.

White has been an NFL player for over 3 years now. The idea that he doesn’t know the route tree at this point just because we haven’t seen him on the field much is a gigantic assumption, and probably an invalid one. He’s participated fully in each of the past 3 offseason programs (including this one) which is when the most learning happens, and even this past season during the year his injury was not one that prevented him working on running routes even when he was on the shelf. He may never be a great route runner, but the idea that there has been essentially zero progress in that regard since draft day 2014 is a bit absurd IMO. 

5 hours ago, AZBearsFan said:

White has been an NFL player for over 3 years now. The idea that he doesn’t know the route tree at this point just because we haven’t seen him on the field much is a gigantic assumption, and probably an invalid one. He’s participated fully in each of the past 3 offseason programs (including this one) which is when the most learning happens, and even this past season during the year his injury was not one that prevented him working on running routes even when he was on the shelf. He may never be a great route runner, but the idea that there has been essentially zero progress in that regard since draft day 2014 is a bit absurd IMO. 

I'm basing my assumption on having watched him and knowing that he arrived without that ability.  It was obvious in year two that even though he had an entire offseason to learn it he had not.  We know that he had never been required to know it in college and I'll stick by my "assumption" until I see otherwise.  He's a nice kid and he's worked hard but he is not the sharpest knife in the drawer either.   Let's just say he has a lot to prove.  JMHO

2 hours ago, soulman said:

I'm basing my assumption on having watched him and knowing that he arrived without that ability.  It was obvious in year two that even though he had an entire offseason to learn it he had not.  We know that he had never been required to know it in college and I'll stick by my "assumption" until I see otherwise.  He's a nice kid and he's worked hard but he is not the sharpest knife in the drawer either.   Let's just say he has a lot to prove.  JMHO

Nobody will debate that White has a lot to prove on the field - that’s a given - but upon what, specifically, are you basing the statement that “he is not the sharpest knife in the drawer”? I ask because never at any point in the last 3 years since the Bears drafted him have I once heard anyone in position to know any better question his intelligence. 

8 hours ago, AZBearsFan said:

Nobody will debate that White has a lot to prove on the field - that’s a given - but upon what, specifically, are you basing the statement that “he is not the sharpest knife in the drawer”? I ask because never at any point in the last 3 years since the Bears drafted him have I once heard anyone in position to know any better question his intelligence. 

I think it is based on his struggles with route running and in his 2nd year he ran a bunch of wrong routes and had Jay yell at him. The one that stands out was against Houston that led to a pick.

I am not sure it is a fair critique, but my guess is that is where it comes from.

10 hours ago, AZBearsFan said:

AZ I've discussed this at length in two other forums and I'll be happy to do so here as well if you'll give me time.  I'm away from my main base today as I have been all weekend but once I get home I'll add more detail.

The short version of it is White's football IQ won't top anyone's charts.  He was not known as a fast learner even at WVU which is why his use in their offensive scheme was quite limited.  His speed and physical traits allowed him to dominate at that level not his clever routes and precision.

Added to this if you recall is that he only attended WVU for one year.  He played JUCO ball prior to that.  Is it an indication that despite size and speed he simply couldn't meet the academic requirements to attend WVU without first having attended a JUCO to get his grades up?  At least one person I know of who was familiar with KW's background wrote on that topic back at the time we drafted him and IMHO it's proven to be at least somewhat true.

I can add more later if you like.  Look, I'm not so down on the guy that I hope he fails.  He's worked hard to succeed but has been snake bit by injuries.  But I could also add that working hard may also be taken as an indication of lacking instincts and a football intellect.  I would not call him quick on the uptake but you'll never hear anyone in the Bears organization ever come out and say that.  Some reading between the lines is necessary.

Archived