2019 Draft Talk

swede700

On 12/11/2018 at 11:01 AM, gopherwrestler said:

They also moved up a couple spots for a spot starter in Davenport who they are developing for the future. 

They moved up 13 spots. Now to be able to move up into the top 10 from any position to grab an offensive lineman you will be giving up more that 2 first and a 5th. 

You can be agressive but moving up that much to grab an offensive lineman it has to be worth it. Has to start as a rookie on this offensive line, and long term outlook better be worth 2 players that would be first round picks, at minimum. 

Are there any Steve Hutchinson types available in this year's draft at the OG position?

48 minutes ago, Uncle Buck said:

Are there any Steve Hutchinson types available in this year's draft at the OG position?

No. 

Not really an OL class with much top 25 talent. And, unfortunately for MN, the class is more top heavy at tackle than IOL. Although, a couple of those tackles may be able to move inside. 

Edited by SemperFeist

3 hours ago, Uncle Buck said:

Moot point.  Rick the Pickumulator will trade down once or more, and position himself to draft another Clemmings or Beavers.  So, in a word, no.

3 hours ago, SemperFeist said:

No. 

Not really an OL class with much top 25 talent. And, unfortunately for MN, the class is more top heavy at tackle than IOL. Although, a couple of those tackles may be able to move inside. 

I don't mind a tackle if they can start out at G. Reiff isn't cheap.

14 minutes ago, vikingsrule said:

I don't mind a tackle if they can start out at G. Reiff isn't cheap.

Not really what I would like to see. I don’t mind training average talent to move around the line and try and go from guard to tackle. But your high priority 1st round pick for the future LT is going to be a backup LT and only work at being a tackle with how raw some of these lineman are

I really have no interest in drafting a 1st round tackle who’s going to be on the bench for 2 years. Reiff has been a solid player. I would not actively look to replace him. Not when there are massive holes along the interior. 

If you’re drafting a college tackle to play guard, then it should be because that’s what you view as his long term position. 

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

I really have no interest in drafting a 1st round tackle who’s going to be on the bench for 2 years. Reiff has been a solid player. I would not actively look to replace him. Not when there are massive holes along the interior. 

If you’re drafting a college tackle to play guard, then it should be because that’s what you view as his long term position. 

What if Tackle is best OL available? So need over value then?

Reiff might be solid but he isn't cheap, maybe he could slide inside to LG and take a paycut. I hate the idea of reaching for need if there is better talent at Tackle. Grabbing an OT in round one and an OG in round two would go a long way towards improving the OL, especially if value suggests that might be the better approach.

Edited by vikingsrule

You don’t HAVE TO draft OL in the 1st. Reiff isn’t cheap, but you’re not likely going to get out of his contract for another two years. And this team needs to stop moving established vets into positions that they’ve never played before. It’s not working.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

You don’t HAVE TO draft OL in the 1st. Reiff isn’t cheap, but you’re not likely going to get out of his contract for another two years. And this team needs to stop moving established vets into positions that they’ve never played before. It’s not working.

Of course you don't have to draft an OL in the first but the lack of talent along the OL is impacted by this idea that we can find OL talent later. That approach is not working.

If you truly want to build a good OL for the future, I think it's absolutely necessary to start using those early picks on the position. Even double dipping if it's good value. And why wouldn't you want to potentially upgrade a tackle spot if the situation presented itself? Reiff is average at best, 30 years old and has a large cap hit. 

Based on how the OL has performed, I don't think anyone is safe nor should we ignore talent based on having an average starter at the moment.

Outside of TE and potentially LB or DT (depends on Barr/Richardson situation), there aren't many pressing needs.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

And they're probably not going to draft OL in the 1st, unless there is a high 2nd rd OL talent that they might want to reach for.  The much greater likelihood is that they are going to take a DL in the 1st rd, either as a potential 3-tech to replace Richardson or a future NT to replace Linval.  Where they'll likely end up picking isn't conducive to finding an OL with how thin it is at that position.  They will likely get one in the 2nd rd though...and might have to trade up to get one.  

But we’re not lacking talent at tackle, and while you could certainly upgrade from Reiff, the financial aspect of things gets in the way. 

This team is not going to bench an $11M player, who’s still performing at a good level, and they’re unlikely to take on the dead cap hit to cut him. 

2 hours ago, SemperFeist said:

But we’re not lacking talent at tackle, and while you could certainly upgrade from Reiff, the financial aspect of things gets in the way. 

This team is not going to bench an $11M player, who’s still performing at a good level, and they’re unlikely to take on the dead cap hit to cut him. 

I agree that Reiff isn't going anywhere in 2019. But let's not forget, how many games did our starting pair of Tackles to start the year, Reiff and Hill, miss due to injury? Injuries do happen, depth isn't a bad problem to have. The Vikes have certainly not shied away from taking players in round one and sitting them.

I'm only advocating a Tackle if there is a clear value advantage. Guard and Center clearly are bigger weaknesses for 2019. But early drafts picks aren't always used for immediate payoff. 

And I don't believe we should shy away from trying Reiff at LG just because Remmers failed at moving inside.

Edited by vikingsrule