2019 Draft Talk

swede700

5 hours ago, Purplexing said:

Moot point.  Rick the Pickumulator will trade down once or more, and position himself to draft another Clemmings or Beavers.  So, in a word, no.

O'Neill was a 2nd round pick. Elflein a 3rd round pick. Kalil was a first round pick (and he sucked). They invest draft capital high. The results have been middling. 

And accumulating picks has helped us hit on guys like Diggs, Hunter, Griffen, Weatherly, and Morgan. 

4 minutes ago, vikingsrule said:

I agree that Reiff isn't going anywhere in 2019. But let's not forget, how many games did our starting pair of Tackles to start the year, Reiff and Hill, miss due to injury? Injuries do happen, depth isn't a bad problem to have. The Vikes have certainly not shied away from taking players in round one and sitting them.

I'm only advocating a Tackle if there is a clear value advantage. Guard and Center clearly are bigger weaknesses for 2019. But early drafts picks aren't always used for immediate payoff. 

And I don't believe we should shy away from trying Reiff at LG just because Remmers failed at moving inside.

Nor should Reiff go anywhere. It would be great of the Vikings were able to draft a LT of the future in the first round, have him sit behind Reiff for a year, and then start him the following year. It would be even better if that plan ends up getting changed because the draft pick takes Reiff's spot even earlier via great showings.

The team should move on from Reiff if and only if they get a replacement and that replacement proves to be a better option. Until then there is no reason at all to move on from Reiff.

I would absolutely love it if the Vikings found a LT of the future in the first round of the draft this year. LT is almost the ideal position for the Vikings to be drafting in the first round this coming year IMO. You don't want to depend on the draft to fill an immediate need like OG. That is what free agency is for.

4 hours ago, vikingsrule said:

What if Tackle is best OL available? So need over value then?

Best O-Lineman available or best player available at a position of need?

There is a ton of talented pass rushers and DT’s I probably wouldn’t pass up if we would have to draft a 2nd round talent as a lineman, just to say we drafted a lineman. 

3 minutes ago, gopherwrestler said:

Best O-Lineman available or best player available at a position of need?

There is a ton of talented pass rushers and DT’s I probably wouldn’t pass up if we would have to draft a 2nd round talent as a lineman, just to say we drafted a lineman. 

I will always advocate for adding more pass rushers too so I've got no argument there. But if we're zeroed in at OL, I'd hope we're looking at the best fit and best available, regardless of where they play. 

2 hours ago, Cearbhall said:

Nor should Reiff go anywhere. It would be great of the Vikings were able to draft a LT of the future in the first round, have him sit behind Reiff for a year, and then start him the following year. It would be even better if that plan ends up getting changed because the draft pick takes Reiff's spot even earlier via great showings.

The team should move on from Reiff if and only if they get a replacement and that replacement proves to be a better option. Until then there is no reason at all to move on from Reiff.

I would absolutely love it if the Vikings found a LT of the future in the first round of the draft this year. LT is almost the ideal position for the Vikings to be drafting in the first round this coming year IMO. You don't want to depend on the draft to fill an immediate need like OG. That is what free agency is for.

Ideally, I would like to see O'Neil slide to LT (if possible) in a year or two.  It would be even better if a franchise LT was already on roster.  Less draft capital would need to be spent on finding a RT. 

Edited by Snake Plissken

30 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

The idea that the LT is more important than the RT is a severely outdated concept. 

I agree.  LT and RT are almost the same difficulty to play now days since pass rushers can easily come off of either side.  I’d prefer o leave O’Neill at RT since he has already shown good footwork and the ability to be a good player on that side.  Moving guys around too much can sometimes cause more problems than it’s worth.

32 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

The idea that the LT is more important than the RT is a severely outdated concept. 

I think Reiff is a good player. He gets beat sometimes but overall he does a good job keeping Cousins clean. The interior guards are where I see the biggest need for improvement.

• Like 1

Even if we resign Richardson in the offseason is still love to see us draft a DT in the first round.  Linval isn’t getting younger and will definitely be on the decline near the end of our new DTs rookie contract.  If a guy like Dexter Lawrence is there at our pick then we should absolutely draft him.  He would go top 10 most years, but DT is extremely deep this year.

11 hours ago, wcblack34 said:

O'Neill was a 2nd round pick. Elflein a 3rd round pick. Kalil was a first round pick (and he sucked). They invest draft capital high. The results have been middling. 

And accumulating picks has helped us hit on guys like Diggs, Hunter, Griffen, Weatherly, and Morgan. 

All of which has led to maybe making the playoffs.... So maybe that strategy isn't working.

3 hours ago, PrplChilPill said:

So maybe that strategy isn't working.

Which strategy is that?

Investing high draft capital like they did with Kalil, Elflein, and O’Neill?

Going the bulk approach with late round picks like that have with Baca, Bond, Yankey, Clemmings, Thompson, Shepherd, Beavers, Isidora, and Gossett? 

Or spending top dollar on free agent upgrades like they have with Boone, Rieff, and Remmers?

The issue isn’t the team’s strategy in acquiring talent. The issue is in their talent evaluation, and/or with their coaching/development. And personally, I’m more inclined to lean towards it being an issue with the latter. 

• Like 1

If the Vikings draft defense in the first I will sorely be disappointed.  If there isn't an IOL that is worth the first how about a Tight End who can block AND be a threat in the Red Zone?

11 minutes ago, Virginia Viking said:

If the Vikings draft defense in the first I will sorely be disappointed.  If there isn't an IOL that is worth the first how about a Tight End who can block AND be a threat in the Red Zone?

TE is a big need, Rudolph isn't looked at regularly. Cousins often relied on Jordan Reed, who I think that is the type of TE we need to pair with Morgan and Conklin. Rudolph, Remmers and Sendejo are all prime candidates to be released as soon as free agency kicks off. 

12 hours ago, Kparty15 said:

I agree.  LT and RT are almost the same difficulty to play now days since pass rushers can easily come off of either side.  I’d prefer o leave O’Neill at RT since he has already shown good footwork and the ability to be a good player on that side.  Moving guys around too much can sometimes cause more problems than it’s worth.

It's more about the QB than the pass rushers.  There still is a "blind" side.  And for most QBs, he can still see the pass rusher coming from the RT side more than the pass rusher coming from the LT side.

• Like 1