2019 Draft Talk

swede700

1 hour ago, vikingsrule said:

TE is a big need, Rudolph isn't looked at regularly. Cousins often relied on Jordan Reed, who I think that is the type of TE we need to pair with Morgan and Conklin. Rudolph, Remmers and Sendejo are all prime candidates to be released as soon as free agency kicks off. 

They aren't going to release Rudolph...they will likely ask him to take a paycut or he'll work on a 2-3 yr extension to lower his cap number and take him to 31-32 yrs old.  But, the other 2, yes...they're probably gone.   

2 hours ago, Virginia Viking said:

If the Vikings draft defense in the first I will sorely be disappointed.  If there isn't an IOL that is worth the first how about a Tight End who can block AND be a threat in the Red Zone?

Those kinds of TEs are hard to find in today's college football.  Fant is the top TE (Iowa) and he ain't a blocking machine, as he's the same as they've been putting out, guys like George Kittle, CJ Fied (I'm not even going to attempt to spell it), and Dallas Clark. He's the only 1st round talent at TE.  This is going to be a heavy defensive first round among all teams.  The list of top shelf offensive players (at all positions) isn't very long.

24 minutes ago, swede700 said:

Those kinds of TEs are hard to find in today's college football.  Fant is the top TE (Iowa) and he ain't a blocking machine, as he's the same as they've been putting out, guys like George Kittle, CJ Fied (I'm not even going to attempt to spell it), and Dallas Clark. He's the only 1st round talent at TE.  This is going to be a heavy defensive first round among all teams.  The list of top shelf offensive players (at all positions) isn't very long.

Okwuegbunan out of Missouri could honestly end up being that guy tho. He’s every bit of athletic, was used far to much as a blocker, and is a red zone threat. I’m still not typically going going to spend a 1st on a TE. 

Would I be furious if we would? No, I just don’t think it’s the best strategy. 

Obviously Kirk used Reed a lot, but basically he was just a big WR for them and was the best WR on the team.

Going thru the depth chart, I really wouldn’t be surprised to see us use a 3rd round pick on another WR..... maybe even a 2nd. 

Expensive QB, we have really 3 weapons.... another cheap WR that could actually be a weapon would be huge for this team. 

Especially if we do go after an interior lineman early. 

Reiff, Easton/FA, Elfien, Rookie, O’Niell

If a WR slips because of the defensive talent, jumping on that is a possibility

13 hours ago, Kparty15 said:

I agree.  LT and RT are almost the same difficulty to play now days since pass rushers can easily come off of either side.  I’d prefer o leave O’Neill at RT since he has already shown good footwork and the ability to be a good player on that side.  Moving guys around too much can sometimes cause more problems than it’s worth.

I also agree that I would keep O'Neill at RT. Set it and forget for the next 6-8 years hopefully.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, gopherwrestler said:

Okwuegbunan out of Missouri could honestly end up being that guy tho. He’s every bit of athletic, was used far to much as a blocker, and is a red zone threat. I’m still not typically going going to spend a 1st on a TE. 

Would I be furious if we would? No, I just don’t think it’s the best strategy. 

Obviously Kirk used Reed a lot, but basically he was just a big WR for them and was the best WR on the team.

Love me some Mizzou prospects.

But yeah if we go TE it will be a 4th/5th round development guy like Spielman has done the last 2-3 years.

Just now, twslhs20 said:

Love me some Mizzou prospects.

But yeah if we go TE it will be a 4th/5th round development guy like Spielman has done the last 2-3 years.

I actually wouldn’t be shocked to see them stick with Conklin and Morgan. Conklin is being used more of late, maybe there is something there they like. Guy is plenty athletic.

1 minute ago, gopherwrestler said:

I actually wouldn’t be shocked to see them stick with Conklin and Morgan. Conklin is being used more of late, maybe there is something there they like. Guy is plenty athletic.

I see that for sure. His hands are pretty suspect but he finds a way to get open in zone coverage.

1 hour ago, swede700 said:

They aren't going to release Rudolph...they will likely ask him to take a paycut or he'll work on a 2-3 yr extension to lower his cap number and take him to 31-32 yrs old.  But, the other 2, yes...they're probably gone.   

I don't see what value Rudolph adds to the team. He's not a good #2 TE, Morgan is because of his blocking ability. I don't think he offers much as a receiver anymore inside the 20s, he's slow, doesn't get separation and doesn't offer any YAC ability. Hell, Rudolph is barely used as a redzone TE. I want a TE who can be a true threat down the seam, not just a 5 yard  checkdown kind of guy. The Vikes need to keep the Safet's honest and a big time TE will do that.

3 minutes ago, vikingsrule said:

I don't see what value Rudolph adds to the team. He's not a good #2 TE, Morgan is because of his blocking ability. I don't think he offers much as a receiver anymore inside the 20s, he's slow, doesn't get separation and doesn't offer any YAC ability. Hell, Rudolph is barely used as a redzone TE. I want a TE who can be a true threat down the seam, not just a 5 yard  checkdown kind of guy. The Vikes need to keep the Safet's honest and a big time TE will do that.

Yeah his ca hit is 7.6 which is really high for his production. Also Wayens is making just over 9 so I wouldn't rule out corner early if hes cut.

Hardest part with keeping Rudolph is the 7.25M contract next year with no dead cap. 

Thats top 10 TE salary. 

Only FA likely to get paid higher than him is Jared Cook.

but looking at TE’s in the NFL.... their just really aren’t anything special outside of Kittle, Ertz, and Kelce anymore. 

To me, I would probably just give him the Latavius Murray treatment. Basically just tell him to take a pay cut to a middle of the road TE value. 

The NFL is a business, and PR is part of the business. He’s done a ton for the the state of Minnesota youth, I know it’s hard to look away from that. Just cutting Kyle would take some bad PR and would be looked down upon from the standard Vikings fans. 

To me cutting him is probably the best decision, but I personally don’t see it happening.