2019 Draft Talk

swede700

1 minute ago, vikestyle said:

If he keeps this up for two more years, is Lawrence the best pro prospect ever? I know there's a long way to go, but this guy would be the number 1 pick this year if he could declare. And he doesn't turn 20 until next October.

Imo he will be right there on par with Andrew Luck as a prospect. People forget that Luck was an absolute elite prospect. 

I do agree, that he would be a #1 pick if he declared right now. Which is really impressive. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Eric dunn said:

Imo he will be right there on par with Andrew Luck as a prospect. People forget that Luck was an absolute elite prospect. 

I do agree, that he would be a #1 pick if he declared right now. Which is really impressive. 

Luck was the best prospect that I remember, but Lawrence could be that good and have national championships.

9 hours ago, vikestyle said:

Luck was the best prospect that I remember, but Lawrence could be that good and have national championships.

There are players like Peyton Manning and John Elway to consider, also as good as Lawrence looked yesterday, the draft process always seems to find  a few warts.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Worm Guts said:

There are players like Peyton Manning and John Elway to consider, also as good as Lawrence looked yesterday, the draft process always seems to find  a few warts.

I maybe could have worded it as "in my lifetime". I was 5 when Manning was a prospect and Elway was way before my time. 

As for Lawrence, I know he has kind of a larger nose, so if a team finds some warts are we concerned that he's....a witch?

39 minutes ago, Worm Guts said:

He’s as high as Elway, Manning, and Luck. Many scouts have said if he were to come out he would be the highest QB they’ve graded.... as a freshman.

20 hours ago, vikestyle said:

I just think we need to keep a strength a strength. I'd rather have one great unit and one slightly below average than have two very mediocre units. Of course we need to improve on the OL, I just don't want to weaken the defense to do it.

One playoff win with that strategy. In five years. If Zimmer is really a defensive genius, let's see it without a team full of high picks and free agents. Or, keep doing the same thing and hope.

1 hour ago, PrplChilPill said:

One playoff win with that strategy. In five years. If Zimmer is really a defensive genius, let's see it without a team full of high picks and free agents. Or, keep doing the same thing and hope.

You're not wrong, but for me personally I enjoy watching the defense. If we weaken that and marginally improve the offense then I won't particularly enjoy either unit. So it's for selfish reasons more than anything. 

I don't think building the team around Cousins is the thing to do. I think build the team as if we have a bad QB and try to win in spite of him. Keep the defense a strength, invest in the OL, but not at the expense of the defense. Run the ball, throw using play action, and play great defense. I think that's our only realistic recipe.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, vikestyle said:

invest in the OL, but not at the expense of the defense

That sounds nice but it is a zero-sum game. If not investing in OL at the expense of the defense, the investment comes at the expense of what? TE, WR3, and/or RB2 presumably?

1 minute ago, Heimdallr said:

So what are the best sites to research prospects and get an idea where people are ranked? I used to use CBS but that site is a hot mess now. 

I've been wondering the same thing...I've been looking at Walter Football lately.

8 minutes ago, vikestyle said:

Yes.

A problem I see with that is the potential savings at TE, WR3, and RB2 are fairly limited right now. The only big savings comes from Kyle Rudolph's contract. That is over $7M but they are going to need quite a bit more than that invested in the offensive line. If the team can find a sucka to take on Treadwell's contract they can save a little more but depth is pretty shaky behind the starting two WRs. Do we want to roll into the year with our depth being Beebe, Zylstra, and some other minimum salary player?

I think they team should be looking to invest at least an additional $15M into the offensive line next year. That will get them one blue chip free agent and an average starter.

Until we know what kind of offense the team will be running it is hard to speculate on the importance of a solid pass catching TE. In the modern NFL the team would be looking at using a WR3 quite a bit if the scheme isn't using the TE as a receiver very often. I don't know about going into the season without strengthening one of those two areas but I suppose I would rather fail for lack of receiving options than fail for lack of offensive line again.

I still lean towards taking a bite out of the defense to improve things on the offensive side of the ball but I understand your point of view. It can be better to be elite on one side of the ball and try to scrape by on the other than being just average on both sides of the ball. I really think the team needs to focus more on getting value wherever they can in order to try to be above average on both sides. The high flying offense with terrible defense model failed the Vikings when they had Randy Moss. It is really nice to not see the team still losing owing to abysmal defense and I don't wish to go back to those days. In the end, I still favor defense over aiming for outscoring the team via elite offense; maybe that is a sign that the NFL has passed me by. All things point to continued shift towards offense. Should the team look to move back towards the glory years of Denny Green?

20 minutes ago, Cearbhall said:

That sounds nice but it is a zero-sum game. If not investing in OL at the expense of the defense, the investment comes at the expense of what? TE, WR3, and/or RB2 presumably?

We can lose our starting LB and DT, possibly cut Everson, and then invest those resources into TE, WR3, RB2, and OL. That would be the building around Cousins route. I don't want to do that. I want to play a brand of football that minimizes what we ask of Cousins. I'd rather address our starting UT, starting LB, and possibly DE3 than TE, WR3, and RB2. Either way we need to use both free agency and some draft capital on OL, but let's not break up the defense.

• Like 1