2019 Draft Talk

swede700

2 minutes ago, swede700 said:

It's just an observation.  I have no opinion on him as a player, other than the fact that a 5'9" player is still going to have a tremendous challenge to succeed in the NFL.  

Absolutely, but just like every young QB if he gets matched up with the right coach/OC he will have a chance to succeed. 

2 hours ago, vikingsrule said:

I feel like the sweet spot for Guards is that 50-120 range in the draft. Mid second to mid fourth. 

I am generally against taking a Guard early, unless you're getting a true standout. But looking at the current state of the team, Guard makes the most sense, unless we lose Richardson. Then I'm supporting a DT at 18 in a strong class (might get a top 10 talent at 18).

I imagine that their might be more quality at DT in free agency than Guards.  I also imagine that the DT's in the draft are deeper than OL.  I would move up in round 1, if possible, to try and get one of the better graded OLinemen...because one thing is a guaranteed...there will be an early run on OLinemen in the first round that otherwise WOULD/SHOULD be considered in the 2nd or 3rd rounds.  I would then save what mid/late round picks for defensive line.

But, I'm not the GM, nor do I want to be!  They just might stick at #18 and pick a corner!!

1 minute ago, SemperFeist said:

Most OL runs start right around where the Vikings are slated to pick. There shouldn’t be a need to trade up. 

Maybe...but when I think of the 17 teams picking before us, I would say at least 12 of them have need for talent on the offensive line.  Many of them have multiple needs, of course.  But let's say 4 or 5 offensive linemen go in the first 17 picks (most of them reaches by desperate teams...but not inconceivable) what kind of choices will be available by 18?  Probably someone who will struggle being an immediate starter.  Probably someone (because of lack of OL depth) who would've been a late 4th or 5th round player just a year earlier.  I'm not saying that a 4th or 5th round graded player couldn't be a good player in time...but, the Vikings don't have a whole lot of time to fix the line before we start to see veteran members of the team decline, move along in free agency, or retire.  I honestly believe 2019 might see our championship window beginning to close if the talent on the offensive line cannot be upgraded significantly.  I think through free agency, draft and possible trade we need two new starting guards...at a minimum.  I also think the Vikings need to be thinking about bringing in someone to compete with Elflein if he can't improve in the off season.  And, maybe not this year, but in 2020 it will be time to be thinking about a replacement for Riley Reiff.  I am realistic enough to know that all this isn't going to happen this off season.  I just don't want to waste the prime years of Thielen, Diggs and Cook on another .500 or worse season.

2 hours ago, Virginia Viking said:

But let's say 4 or 5 offensive linemen go in the first 17 picks (most of them reaches by desperate teams...but not inconceivable) what kind of choices will be available by 18?

So, your solution is for the Vikings to use additional resources and trade up for the same reach? 

• Like 1

Frankly, I don't think it's a "reach" to trade up for a guy if you believe he is going to be a starter at a position of need, rather than waiting for "value" where you pick. I think that "value" kind of goes out the window once the draft is over. Let's say the Vikings would have traded up 5 spots to get Hernandez last year. Would that have been a "reach"? Yes. Would we be crying about that now? Not likely. 

Sure, a lot depends on what you have to give up to get the guy. But if you believe he fills a need, and will be a plug and play guy for 7-12 years. Do it. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

So, your solution is for the Vikings to use additional resources and trade up for the same reach? 

If they don't add two starting guards, the season is not going to end in a super bowl. Free agency, trades, draft, whatever it takes it needs to happen. 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, JDBrocks said:

Yeah, I mean Will Hernandez really put the Giants’ offense over the top this year...

The Giants weren't 13-3 the year before, and supposedly still a great team.... Is that a real argument? Like, you think the Vikings are comparable? Or, that they can win the super bowl without fixing the line? I'm willing to have a discussion, if you want. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, wcblack34 said:

Frankly, I don't think it's a "reach" to trade up for a guy if you believe he is going to be a starter at a position of need, rather than waiting for "value" where you pick. I think that "value" kind of goes out the window once the draft is over. Let's say the Vikings would have traded up 5 spots to get Hernandez last year. Would that have been a "reach"? Yes. Would we be crying about that now? Not likely. 

Sure, a lot depends on what you have to give up to get the guy. But if you believe he fills a need, and will be a plug and play guy for 7-12 years. Do it. 

I would be upset because 1.... he wasn’t that good and played at about Tom Comptons level, and 2 because he wasn’t a fit to this team. He never proved to block well in space, and in any sort of a step back he was proven to be off balance..... go forward to the NFL level and it was the same thing. Will Hernedez would of helped our run game slightly, but going against any sort of athletic interior defensive lineman he was getting walked around on...

as for trading up 12 of 17 teams need lineman, it doesn’t happen like that. If they do that, I’m not even thinking about trading up and I would be drafting a player that should have been drafted in the top 5 but slipped to 18. Hell Id trade up to get one of them before I reach for an offensive lineman. 

So they would have won a super bowl with a rookie guard is what you are saying? Additionally, I highly doubt that O’Neill would be a Viking if they had selected Hernandez. I’m taking the tackle every time.

I’m not against drafting lineman or fixing the line. You know my stance on this. Improve the scouting, improve the scheme, improve the coaching. Then we can talk about misuse of draft capital.

An intern isn’t going to be an effective manager the first day on the job. He probably won’t ever become a very good manger without someone to show him how to do things the right way. 

The Vikings were 13-3 last year in large part because Sparano and Shurmer put the OL in a positions to succeed.

• Like 1

My quick dream offseason: 

Hire Joe Philbin or Wylie as OL coach.

Resign- Sheldon Richardson, Nick Easton, Anthony Harris 

Free agents- RB: Mark Ingram, LB: Thomas Davis , K: Robbie Gould

1st- Noah Fant, TE. 2nd-(small trade up) Cody Ford, T/G. 3rd- Marquise “Hollywood” Brown, WR. 4th- Javon Patterson, G. 

I would be very very happy with that. Imagine that offense.

Edited by Eric dunn
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, Eric dunn said:

My quick dream offseason: 

Hire Joe Philbin or Wylie as OL coach.

Resign- Sheldon Richardson, Nick Easton, Anthony Harris 

Free agents- RB: Mark Ingram, LB: Thomas Davis , K: Robbie Gould

1st- Noah Fant, TE. 2nd-(small trade up) Cody Ford, T/G. 3rd- Marquise “Hollywood” Brown, WR. 4th- Javon Patterson, G. 

I would be very very happy with that. Imagine that offense.

I like most of it.  At his age, I think Davis is a pretty big step down from Barr.  Also I don't think Ford falls that far.   I'm unfamiliar with Patterson 

35 minutes ago, NoDakViking said:

I like most of it.  At his age, I think Davis is a pretty big step down from Barr.  Also I don't think Ford falls that far.   I'm unfamiliar with Patterson 

Yeah there’s a drop off from Barr to Davis, but he would be a stop gap player until Gedeon or Wilson step up or if the Vikings draft someone else. Plus the leadership would be a nice bonus. For the most part we stay in the nickel anyways, I think one of Wilson, Gedeon or a vet like Davis would be fine filling that spot next to Kendrick’s for one year. I think Barr is 100% gone. 

Theres also guys like Downs & Brothers on the roster that could step up and come in as that thumper LB in 3LB packages. Although these two are more than likely special teams players at best. 

Imo the most likely trio of starting LBs next year will be Wilson - Kendrick’s - Gedeon. Although I think we need to add someone in FA or mid-late rounds. I haven’t dug too deep into the LBs in the draft much this year. But I don’t believe the Vikings are gonna take one early this year. There’s too many pressing needs to take one early, unless one they really like slips. Eric Wilson should do fine.