2019 Draft Talk

swede700

9 hours ago, RpMc said:

For Funsies. 

The Vikings trade Xavier Rhodes to the Kansas City Chiefs for DeMarcus Robinson and pick 1.29. 

The Vikings trade Laquan Treadwell to whomever will take him for a 2020 7th round pick. 

1.18 - Dalton Risner [RG] Kansas State

1.29 - TJ Hockensen [TE] Iowa

Vikings trade their 2nd and 4th round picks to Tampa Bay (might have to give more) to get up in front of Buffalo.

2.39 - Garrett Bradbury [C] NC State

3.81 - Khalen Saunders [DT] Western Illinois

———

Doesn’t matter what happens after that.

LT - Riley Reiff

LG - Pat Elflein

C - Garrett Bradbury

RG - Dalton Risner

RT - Brian O’Neill

Ride and die with the yutes.

I like how you are thinking.  The only concern I would have with this is the Bradbury pick.  I just don't know how he would fit with Elflein. 

8 minutes ago, Snake Plissken said:

I like how you are thinking.  The only concern I would have with this is the Bradbury pick.  I just don't know how he would fit with Elflein. 

I'm not sure I understand the concern.  Bradbury is an ideal fit at center, while Elflein was actually far more experienced at G in college than center.  

1 hour ago, swede700 said:

I'm not sure I understand the concern.  Bradbury is an ideal fit at center, while Elflein was actually far more experienced at G in college than center.  

Plus Elflein was a third round pick. I don't think there needs to be a commitment to him because of it. Elflein was part of the problem last year, no matter the excuses made.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, swede700 said:

I am not automatically assuming Elflein can play guard (although it is a possibility).  If he can't, the team may have upgraded one position, but will still have a big hole at another.  I am also considering that taking a Guard like Lindstrom and leaving Elfleiin at Center is more effective that Bradbury and Elflein.

Edited by Snake Plissken

15 hours ago, RpMc said:

For Funsies. 

The Vikings trade Xavier Rhodes to the Kansas City Chiefs for DeMarcus Robinson and pick 1.29. 

The Vikings trade Laquan Treadwell to whomever will take him for a 2020 7th round pick. 

1.18 - Dalton Risner [RG] Kansas State

1.29 - TJ Hockensen [TE] Iowa

Vikings trade their 2nd and 4th round picks to Tampa Bay (might have to give more) to get up in front of Buffalo.

2.39 - Garrett Bradbury [C] NC State

3.81 - Khalen Saunders [DT] Western Illinois

———

Doesn’t matter what happens after that.

LT - Riley Reiff

LG - Pat Elflein

C - Garrett Bradbury

RG - Dalton Risner

RT - Brian O’Neill

Ride and die with the yutes.

Not bad but I do not see us trading Rhodes, maybe Waynes I could see not Rhodes.   But if one is going to play trade game, how about we trade Riley Reiff to the Patriots and use the Remmers cut money and Reiff money to sign Trenton Brown long term.  Will never happen but can dream, Bobby Massie just signed for around $8 Million a year so sure Brown will get more than that no doubt and Reiff pathetically makes more than that also and one could argue I would take Massie over Reiff maybe.  Not totally sold on Elflein moving to gaurd either.

OT Trenton Brown
OG Pat Elflein
C Erick McCoy 
OG Dalton Risner
OT Brian O'Neill

Even better would be this...

OT Trenton Brown
OG Nick Easton
C Pat Elflein
OG Dalton Risner
OT Brian O'Neill

Sure ideally draft Risner but that is not really an option most likely, will see with him playing so well he will probably be gone.  I am just not sold on O'Neill and Reiff as the two tackles.  But neither one could be a guard where Risner could be or Ford could be also.

Could also go like this, keep Elflein at center but draft some guard help, Ford if he is the only one there in the 1st left and McGovern later on as another guard who could also play center.  

OT Riley Reiff
OG Connor McGovern 
C Pat Elflein
OG Cody Ford 
OT Brian O'Neill

There are so many guard options out there in the 2nd or 4th round and yeah that Vikings OL is pretty terrible inside.  Really depends on what they do with Easton, that would fill a guard spot easy, and would be great if Isidora turns out but will see, and I like Collins but not sure there is much long term potential with him either as a starter. Nate Herbig I would not mind potentially but he might struggle in pass pro at times.  Having two rookie guards is a gamble also but could easily happen unless Easton is signed again.

Also with the buzz Khalen Saunders got recently at DT he could easily be gone in the 2nd round and no way would be there in the 3rd.

1 hour ago, RpMc said:

With the depth in this class at DT, there’s absolutely “no way” to say a player like Saunders has “no way” of being there in the third. 

The class has great DL talent not just DT talent.  And yeah if you see a guy perform like he did and do backflips, if he works out well at the combine he will be long gone in the 2nd and not make the second half of the 3rd round.  Teams want big athletic dudes like that who can get pressure up the middle.

All gone in the 1st

Ed Oliver Houston JR
Quinnen Williams Alabama RS SOPH
Dexter Lawrence Clemson JR
Christian Wilkins Clemson
Jeffery Simmons Miss State JR

Possibly 1 or 2 of these guys could be picked in the 1st as well.  And the others will be a 2nd rounder possibly or 3rd so already starting to lack in DTs available.

Dre'Mont Jones Ohio State JR
Jerry Tillery Notre Dame
Gerald Willis III Miami FL RS

Then takes a drop after these three arguably who are 3rd or 4th rounders.  And Saunders I would say is above these three potentially especially with his play of late and that puts him in the 2nd round.

Anthony Rush UAB
Daylon Mack Texas A&M
Terry Beckner Jr Missouri

3 hours ago, VikeManDan said:

I don't want to count on Easton returning 100% healthy. 2 new guards are needed IMO.

True but having two rookie guards is not exactly a great thing.  One in free agency would be great but not sure who that would be.  Could be one of these guys but I doubt we get a shot at Saffold, Glowinski or even Fluker.  

Rodger Saffold - would be shocked to see the Rams let him go
JR Sweezy - athletic OG, would be hard to get
Mark Glowinski - tough guy and has had a great year, doubt the Colts let him go though but he is very interesting
DJ Fluker - would like getting him, big mauler but probably will not happen
Nick Easton - Is a free agent for the Vikings, do we bring him back I have no idea.
John Miller - could be cheap and is a decent player at times
AJ Cann - strong guard, might be reasonable cost.
Jeff Allen - versatile OL but probably will stay
BJ Finney - could be of good value and might be cheap, strong player

There are plenty of guards to pick from sure in the draft, but two to start and play well could be asking a little much but will see.

Should probably send that resume in to Rick; seems like you've got everything figured out!

Sure, teams value big athletic dudes up the middle (as they do everywhere), but there are so many other factors to consider. He's going to be limited to even front teams, because he's too short to be a 5-tech end. He's got decent production, but it's at a lower level of competition, and, as we've both mentioned, the draft is stocked at defensive line talent.  I'm not saying with certainty that he WILL be a third round pick, or any pick in any particular round, because all it takes is one team to fall in love (see Oakland with PJ Hall).  However, to say that he's a sure fire lock as a second round pick is naive.

There's far too many unknowns between team needs, scheme fits, and how the board falls to say that right now.

Edited by RpMc

12 hours ago, Ozzy said:

True but having two rookie guards is not exactly a great thing.  One in free agency would be great but not sure who that would be.  Could be one of these guys but I doubt we get a shot at Saffold, Glowinski or even Fluker.  

There are plenty of guards to pick from sure in the draft, but two to start and play well could be asking a little much but will see.

Not a great thing for sure, but it seemed to work out for the Colts. I know they got a great one in Nelson. I was surprised they double-dipped and took Smith, a strategy I think the Vikings should look at in 2019.

In a dream world it would be great to sign a veteran from your list (2-3 year deal) and draft two guards. Start one rookie and the winner of the vet/rookie battle at the other spot.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, VikeManDan said:

Not a great thing for sure, but it seemed to work out for the Colts. I know they got a great one in Nelson. I was surprised they double-dipped and took Smith, a strategy I think the Vikings should look at in 2019.

In a dream world it would be great to sign a veteran from your list (2-3 year deal) and draft two guards. Start one rookie and the winner of the vet/rookie battle at the other spot.

Very true, but Nelson was an All Pro guard, doubt any guard in this up coming draft becomes that good, and even with that he did not look so hot in the playoff game and got beat a few times.  Smith played RT I thought for them?  Sure could be a guard but was a tackle for that team, and then they had Ryan Kelly a center they drafted a few years back out of Alabama and in free agency got Glowinski from Seattle to fill the other OG spot, and I see now they signed him in Free agency so he is out in terms of being a FA pickup.

But yeah I agree, it could happen for sure and in many ways needs to happen but would be nice to get a free agent OG with a draft pick at guard.  

20 minutes ago, PrplChilPill said:

If my option is bad veteran, or rookie they think might be good.......I'll go with two rookies.

I think the general consensus is becoming take a 1st round G to be a "surefire" starter, and then take another G in the 3rd-4th and sign a Compton-esque cheap veteran to compete with them. Which I think is a good plan. If the cheap vet wins the job over the mid round rookie, so be it.

• Like 3

The 2019 NFL Draft offers many things: high end talent and depth at defensive tackle, a slate of dynamic edge defenders, game-breaking wide receivers of every shape and size and one of the deepest tight end classes we’ve ever seen.

What it won’t offer is a star quarterback. Not now, and probably not ever. No amount of wishing or hoping or pumping up a flawed signal caller for ratings is going to change that. This quarterback class sucks. It’s time everyone, including QB-needy NFL teams, embraced it.

https://thedraftnetwork.com/2019/01/31/hey-there-the-2019-qb-class-is-bad/