2019 Draft Talk

swede700

3 minutes ago, swede700 said:

Who in the world is this idiot?  Sure there is not Peyton Manning type in this draft but it has players and one or two of them will be a hit in the NFL.  Top 5 QB in the league probably not but for all of these guys to fail that would be surprising.  

Hell one could argue it would be damn hard to find more decent QBs on a Senior bowl roster than this, that is a lot of depth I find for a freaking Senior bowl.  And Thorson would have been in it as well but was injured I guess.

Will Grier West Virginia
Daniel Jones Duke RS JR
Jarrett Stidham Auburn RS JR
Drew Lock Missouri
Ryan Finley NC State
Tyree Jackson Buffalo JR
Gardner Minshew Washington State

Then you obviously have Haskins and Murray.  Sure I do not totally love these guys but they have promise and potential no doubt about it.  There has been far worse QB groups than this I feel.  Are they Trevor Lawrence no, but there are plenty of things to like about the QBs in this class and the Vikings would be smart to steal one if they fall into the 3rd or 4th round.

2013 QB Class: EJ Manuel (Round 1, Bills), Geno Smith (Round 2, Jets), Mike Glennon (Round 3, Buccaneers), Matt Barkley (Round 4, Eagles), Ryan Nassib (Round 4, Giants), Landry Jones (Round 4, Steelers)

2007 QB Class JaMarcus Russell (Round 1, Raiders), Brady Quinn (Round 1, Browns), Kevin Kolb (Round 2, Eagles), John Beck (Round 2, Dolphins), Drew Stanton (Round 2, Lions), Trent Edwards (Round 3, Bills), Troy Smith (Round 5, Ravens), Tyler Thigpen (Round 7, Vikings), Matt Moore (undrafted, Panthers)

Those classes almost all the players did not turn out, I would be shocked if no a one of these QBs in the up coming draft become a decent pro.  Again sure not star potential but a lot of them have a ton of tools to be a good pro QB.  People forget Derek Carr and Jimmy Garoppolo were 2nd round picks, just because a QB is not instantly regarded as a high 1st round pick does not mean he will be a bad pro.  I bet some of these guys especially Finley, Stidham, Lock or Grier etc could develop into a decent player even if they drop in the draft.

2013 is probably the worst QB draft class I've ever seen, although 1997 comes close with Jim Drunkenmiller as the top QB prospect.  While I don't think this class is as bad as those, I don't think it's much better either.  The best I think they can hope for is that the class is closer to the 2000 class (which had the GOAT in it as a 6th rd pick, but only Pennington and Bulger to show for it otherwise), because there isn't a QB in this class that jumps out to me at all as anyone really worth banking on as a starter long-term.  

Hell, maybe the Vikings can get lucky, draft Pat Shurmur's kid or Mark Rypien's nephew and they turn out to be a HOFer, but it's highly unlikely.  I was hoping Trace McSorley was related to Marty McSorley, so maybe he could punch pass rushers in the face or just throw them off to the side and still fling the ball to a wide-open receiver, but alas, it doesn't appear that's the case.  

Edited by swede700
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, swede700 said:

2013 is probably the worst QB draft class I've ever seen, although 1997 comes close with Jim Drunkenmiller as the top QB prospect.  While I don't think this class is as bad as those, I don't think it's much better either.  The best I think they can hope for is that the class is closer to the 2000 class (which had the GOAT in it as a 6th rd pick, but only Pennington and Bulger to show for it otherwise), because there isn't a QB in this class that jumps out to me at all as anyone really worth banking on as a starter long-term.  

Hell, maybe the Vikings can get lucky, draft Pat Shurmur's kid or Mark Rypien's nephew and they turn out to be a HOFer, but it's highly unlikely.  I was hoping Trace McSorley was related to Marty McSorley, so maybe he could punch pass rushers in the face or just throw them off to the side and still fling the ball to a wide-open receiver, but alas, it doesn't appear that's the case.  

Honestly one could argue at times Grier, Lock, Stidham, Finley all had 1st round grades at points in their career and some might still be 1st round picks this year.  Sure Lock and Stidham did not have great senior seasons and same could be said for Finley but all have the tools to succeed in the NFL, and Grier should have played that final bowl game but whatever.  Sure compared to last years class of elite top level talent it is a sup par group but I would take a few of these guys over freaking Josh Rosen any day of the week.  Sure Jones is a project and Murray is a gamble as is Haskins but one or more of them will be a hit.

In terms of the Vikings I would not mind Shurmur, that kid can play and could be a good 6th or 7th round draft pick.  But not sure if we do that with Solter being the teams project backup so that might take Tyree Jackson out as well.  And really in terms of team needs QB is not huge unless we get rid of Siemian which could happen, we have bigger needs we have to address.  Sure I would love to not really have Cousins be the man for such a long time but we are kind of stuck with him for awhile sadly.  Still I cannot get over the fact we are paying Cousins as the 3rd highest paid QB in the NFL when on the field he is maybe in the 15 or so range of best QBs in the NFL and I would take 15 or more over him still, freaking A.

If we just want a solid backup who could develop to get in the later rounds Shurmur again for sure is an option, Rypien I do not feel will be drafted but he could be a 7th round option.  If one wants potential arm talent Jordan Ta'amu is a nice prospect as well and I would not mind Easton Stick to be honest as a 3rd QB if Solter is the 2nd option.  Guys like Browning and McSorley are decent as well if one wants competitive tough leaders but McSorley has more upside for sure Browing has a pretty limited arm.

But now I’m starting to realize: the next strongest class — and even potentially a stronger class — is that of the offensive tackles.

Now, if you follow the Draft closely, that should really stand out to you. Offensive tackle classes are generally a weaker class, especially at the top. 

As it stands, I’ll likely have four Top-20 tackles this season, which is more OTs than I had in the Top-50 of the past two seasons. 

And here’s the kicker: Kansas State’s Dalton Risner, a Top-30 player for me with a Round 2 grade…well, he just had a tremendous Senior Bowl week. At right tackle.

https://thedraftnetwork.com/2019/01/31/offensive-tackle-class-shaping-up-to-be-great/

1 hour ago, JDBrocks said:

Mmmmk. Josh Rosen would be the #1 pick in this draft if he would have just sat out his last year of eligibility. It’s not even close. 

Did you not watch Rosen play this year?  The guy sucked and was not very impressive at all.  Take him over Bosa or Q. Williams, no thank you.  

Now if you are talking about Darnold or Josh Allen yes they would be arguably taken #1 overall this year, Rosen um no thanks.  The kid had the worst QPR in the NFL by far, now he is not a awful prospect long term but I was not a fan of his leadership, communication style or his overall resistance to injury or footwork in college and those are still an issue for him in the pros.  Maybe he can work on it and will improve year two but Josh Rosen is kind of what I thought he would be in the NFL, will see if he stays that way.  Sure current QBs in the 2019 class are assumed not at the same level as a prospect compared to what some thought of Rosen coming out.  But long term I would not be surprised to see some of the guys in the 2019 class turn out to be better QBs than Rosen in the end.  Will see if that is the case.  

8 hours ago, Ozzy said:

Did you not watch Rosen play this year?  The guy sucked and was not very impressive at all.  Take him over Bosa or Q. Williams, no thank you.  

Now if you are talking about Darnold or Josh Allen yes they would be arguably taken #1 overall this year, Rosen um no thanks.  The kid had the worst QPR in the NFL by far, now he is not a awful prospect long term but I was not a fan of his leadership, communication style or his overall resistance to injury or footwork in college and those are still an issue for him in the pros.  Maybe he can work on it and will improve year two but Josh Rosen is kind of what I thought he would be in the NFL, will see if he stays that way.  Sure current QBs in the 2019 class are assumed not at the same level as a prospect compared to what some thought of Rosen coming out.  But long term I would not be surprised to see some of the guys in the 2019 class turn out to be better QBs than Rosen in the end.  Will see if that is the case.  

I think youre missing the point.  He said if Rosen sat out meaning he didn't play. Which in turn means all you know is what we did last year & last year the hype was there & with that hype he would have been the #1 pick.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, SemperFeist said:

Right now TJ Hockenson, Ed Oliver, and Christian Wilkins are atop my favorite prospects list. 

Those 3 would be solid, for non-OL I'd also throw in Devin White. I like what I've read about him.

Hockenson might be the biggest non-OL offensive impact player we could draft at 18.

8 hours ago, SemperFeist said:

Offensive line will obviously be the prominent subject as we get ready for the draft. 

But, who are the non offensive linemen that interest you at 18?

Right now TJ Hockenson, Ed Oliver, and Christian Wilkins are atop my favorite prospects list. 

To me Ed Oliver is not an option because he will not fall to the 18th spot.  So liking him, yeah sure I would not mind Nick Bosa opposite Hunter for example but simply that will not happen so why think that it might.  Hockenson and Wilkins could happen though and I would not mind either one.  Zach Allen I would not mind at 18 but again no way I take him over a decent OL prospect for this Vikings team.  Taylor Rapp would be a sweet pickup as well, nice combo with Harrison Smith had he can play a little in the slot if asked to as well and is very good in the box or deep in coverage.  Doubt we do it with Kearse and Sendejo under contract but could be possible if they let Harris go and Iloka.  

Really though unless a big time player falls which I doubt, there is no way the Vikings do not go OL with this 1st round pick.  Hockenson would most likely be there but take him over Risner, Taylor, Williams, Little or Ford that would simply not make much sense.  

5 hours ago, VikeManDan said:

Those 3 would be solid, for non-OL I'd also throw in Devin White. I like what I've read about him.

Hockenson might be the biggest non-OL offensive impact player we could draft at 18.

I haven't looked much at the QBs so won't mention any names but I hope the team is scouting the potential first round QBs and will pull the trigger if they think one of them has what they are looking for as their QB of the future. I saw a mock on nfl.com the other day that had four QBs going in front of the Vikings. If all of these other guys are getting picked in front of the Vikings it would seem likely that one of those QBs falls.

Of course, whether the QB that falls is what the Vikings would be looking for in their QB of the future is another thing; it isn't super likely. The team needs to keep their eyes open though just in case.

If the right QB isn't there, their is the offensive linemen. If we are eliminating them from the discussion though I have read there are some good defensive linemen in this draft. Plenty to choose from. In the end, I tilt heavy as BPA guy. All the biggest holes will have been filled before the draft if the GM is running things "right".

9 hours ago, SemperFeist said:

Offensive line will obviously be the prominent subject as we get ready for the draft. 

But, who are the non offensive linemen that interest you at 18?

Hockensen or even Fant, Wilkins, Devin White.  That's about it in that range.

I wouldn't mind non-OL in Rd 1 if they got a true difference maker, and then went back to back OL in rounds 2 and 3.  For example, if they were to let Richardson and Barr go, then draft 1. Wilkins, 2. Lindstrom, and 3. Dieter,  I'd be pretty happy.   It would depend on what we do in free agency prior really.

2 hours ago, SteelKing728 said:

Is Hockensen better than Fant?

I don't want us drafting a Tight End round 1 but I'm very curious.

It’s all dependent on what you’re looking for. Hockenson is a more complete tight end, some might call him an “old school” tight end. Whereas Fant fits the new age tight end, who’s more of a wide receiver in a tight end body. 

• Like 1