2019 Draft Talk

swede700

On 2/6/2019 at 4:18 AM, SemperFeist said:

This team will never learn. 

Do I think it’s the right move? Not exactly, but I also believe we knew him coming in here he was never the greatest offensive lineman we could have, but currently he is about the greatest veteran we have on the roster. If we had a suitable replacement already on the roster I would be fine with the move

24 minutes ago, VikeManDan said:

If we can't find a way to land Hockenson, color me intrigued with this guy Dawson Knox. Extend Rudy for 1 year and have this kid learn the ropes.

https://thedraftnetwork.com/2019/01/30/2019-nfl-draft-player-profile-dawson-knox/

In what hell did the people come from on the internet to say on websites discuss this TE as some potential star in the NFL?  The guy has never scored a college TD in his entire career, and arguably his best play has been in the Ole Miss spring games.  He is at best some little HB type sneak him out and get some cheap yards in a pass happy system, in terms of being a in line blocking and complete TE who can be physical in the NFL, no.  Talk about a tweener he is it.

Sure he has some value in the 7th round, maybe higher if he works out well at the combine.  But again the kid can from a pass happy system at Ole Miss and still was not productive.  Give me a big physical TE who is strong and can block, not some sneak him out and maybe if no one pays attention to him he could get a big play down field type guy.  Vance McDonald was an impressive physical athlete who was a great athletic TE prospect in college and had a fine season this past year, did take some time though to develop since beind rafted.  But he split out wide a lot at Rice and was moved around sure but he actually produced in the games and scored.  Ran a 4.69 40 and benched 225 31 times, doubt Dawson Knox does that, maybe he runs well but no way is he that strong. 

Everyone is trying to find the next George Kittle, underused TE in college that blows up in the NFL.  But he did run a 4.53 40 but there are a good number of TEs who have ran around a 4.5 40 and sucked as well.  Oh and yeah Kittle scored a TD at least in college.  

Dawson Knox has a good football name, but that's about it.  He has good traits, but there's nothing to suggest that he's going to be able to develop, as he'd be a huge project.  He's not a guy that will be starting anytime soon.  Based upon what I've read about him, he should have stayed in school for his senior year.

Edited by swede700

I can hardly wait for the Combine, and with my work right now, I shouldn't even be thinking about it.   BUUUUTTT, a guy's gotta do what a guy's gotta do:D.  I've read quite a few of the stories and posts about thoughts on how the Vikes should roll this off-season.  Some of the Experts' mocks are almost hilarious . . . like "Hey, I hate the Vikes and need to rile someone up."  lol.

To me, I'd like to see the Vikes keep Everson Griffen and Kyle Rudolph, even if they don't restructure their contracts.  In all likelihood, the players are already anticipating that and may be looking at all options. With Rudolph's involvement in the community, I expect they'll work out an amenable extension to allow him to retire a Viking; however, that does not mean they should pass on a BPA situation in the 2nd or 3rd round.  I believe Barr is gone, and that means Sheldon Richardson gets an opportunity to stay if he wants it and accepts average + 7-10% DT salary.  If they cut Griffen, DE screws up this whole draft for me because, we know Hunter is the alpha . . . who'd be his fear-inducing, edge-setting monster partner?

The positions I hope they focus on are OL, OL, OL, DL, WR, TE and CB.  Now, Safety could be a wild-card position if they don't bring Sendejo back.  The curious thing is learning Zimmer's system, as it took Smith and Sendejo about 2 - 3 seasons to really start clicking.  Iloka, one would've thought, would slide right in . . . sounds like he got disgruntled because he didn't get the red-carpet automatic starter treatment., who knows?  

Regarding O-Line, I don't buy the fog of Reiff moving into OG.  I hope that's all it is . . . a diversion to keep others from trading up for a Cody Ford, Dalton Risner, maybe even a Ben Powers, or someone else the Vikes are high on.  It could also be that they look to draft a LT like Dillard or Williams and really want one of them as rookie insurance and long-term future starter, ala O'Neill who needs to stay at RT.  Ultimately, I feel like Rds 1 and 3 or 4 are going to O-Line, and with all the guys coming back from injury, that'd give the Vikes a full cupboard to evaluate.  

At DL, it really depends on what happens with Griffen and Richardson.  I have to say, they've done well drafting moldable guys, and it's definitely a deep rotation as long as guys stay healthy.  Would we want to add a Christian Wilkins in Rd 1 or Jerry Tillery in Rd 2?  After watching that National Championship game, how could you not want one of the Clemson guys or Quinnen Williams?  If Ed Oliver blows up the combine, he'll be tabbed earlier than 18 . . . but if he's there, it gets interesting.  On last DT to consider, Kahlen Saunders had a monster Senior Bowl week and if he continues at the Combine, he'd be a great 2nd Rd pick.   I think he lasts that long, maybe into the 3rd Rd.  

WR is the one position I expect a lot of change in for the Vikes.  Maybe there's a cheap alternative FA out there to fill the slot position?  I was hoping Hakeem Butler would go completely unnoticed, after watching him in the bowl game against WA State this year.  He's a beast, and another guy that might last a bit longer is Lil Jordan Humphries.   I have to say his play was pretty solid overall.  When this position group hits the field at the Combine, I'll be watching.  Maybe Hunter Renfrow runs a 4.47?   In any event, the Vikes really need trustworthy depth behind Diggs and Thielen.

For CBs, it'll be nice to see the small school prospects compete.  Find a guy that's got good size, has sub-4.5 speed and is coachable.  For one of my two homer picks, Jordan Brown from SDSU Jackrabbits would be a candidate for 5th round, unless his combine and pro-day go better than expected.  Then, maybe Rd 4?  

Finally, my other homer pick is Gardner Minshew, QB WA St.  That guy leads!!!  He may not have quite the arm of Russel Wilson, but he's every bit Drew Brees and Russel Wilson that they were going into their respective drafts.  It feels like he's going to be a 4th Rd guy right now.  I truly don't expect him to last that long.  Granted the Vikes have a couple pretty good back-ups, and they have to play Cousins -- for now.  However, if Minshew were drafted by the Vikes, my bold prediction would be he'd be #2 by end of camp and if Cousins got hurt, Minshew would make fans forget about the guaranteed money.

• Like 1

I keep trying to work something for us on how I want the off-season to play out, this is the first year I’m struggling putting something together I truely want and believe could happen. 

I keep getting trapped with lineman, putting together full team mocks, the value of lineman is still just better for us in rounds two and theee and that is going to end up making a lot of people mad if that happens.

i just really hope we don’t take an offensive lineman just to take one and leave some great prospects available on the board. 

We got a long way to go but my crush Hockenson has no way to make it to us I don’t believe, and the only way I see one of the lineman being of value would be taking a tackle which would lost likely lead to Reiff moving inside.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, gopherwrestler said:

the value of lineman is still just better for us in rounds two and theee and that is going to end up making a lot of people mad if that happens.

But it’s what should happen. 

At this point, I see three offensive linemen worthy of the 18th pick. But their appear to be a lot more linemen set to be in that 50th range and later. 

Edited by SemperFeist

8 minutes ago, gopherwrestler said:

I keep trying to work something for us on how I want the off-season to play out, this is the first year I’m struggling putting something together I truely want and believe could happen. 

I keep getting trapped with lineman, putting together full team mocks, the value of lineman is still just better for us in rounds two and theee and that is going to end up making a lot of people mad if that happens.

i just really hope we don’t take an offensive lineman just to take one and leave some great prospects available on the board. 

We got a long way to go but my crush Hockenson has no way to make it to us I don’t believe, and the only way I see one of the lineman being of value would be taking a tackle which would lost likely lead to Reiff moving inside.

If you are talking pick 18, I see most of the likely candidates as guys who could play both G and T--Taylor, Ford, Risner, and even Little.

9 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

But it’s what should happen. 

At this point, I see three offensive linemen worthy of the 18th pick. But their appear to be a lot more linemen set to be in that 50th range and later. 

I see pretty close to the same, but like I said with the ones I see, I prefer them to stay at tackle and not switch inside.

1 minute ago, Snake Plissken said:

If you are talking pick 18, I see most of the likely candidates as guys who could play both G and T--Taylor, Ford, Risner, and even Little.

I’m absolutely not moving Taylor or Little inside, if we would take either I’d rather see Reiff inside then move either of them inside. 

4 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

I don’t even have Taylor or Little as worthy of the 18th pick. 

I have Taylor as a low 1st yet. Worthy of the pick, probably not, but he is about the only one I have justifiable for the reach, but to reach for a tackle to me just isn’t that wise, we will see the ton of talent there. 

I know everyone is high on Risner here but I still am not nearly as high on him as others. I just guess I don’t see it, I get the numbers he had this past year, but they don’t really tell the full story I don’t believe. 

Also have him with a low 1st round grade. 

Only lineman I have valued top 20 are Ford,  Williams, Dillard who I am higher on than most I believe. Ford is about the only one I am willing to move inside, but I still see value with him at tackle.

4 hours ago, gopherwrestler said:

If they take one, it will be because they think he's a long term starter, not just to take one. Such a tired phrase. 

• Like 2