swede700

2019 Draft Talk

6 hours ago, gopherwrestler said:

This is a WR on the left. He was big before, now he is really big 

Who was that WR a while back that just kept getting bigger and bigger?  David Boston?

7 hours ago, PrplChilPill said:

If they take one, it will be because they think he's a long term starter, not just to take one. Such a tired phrase. 

I agree, any intermediate to long term starter is worth a first as it will solidify the line going forward.   Unless a truly elite talent falls you take an OL at 18 and probably another with a chance to start later.  I'd be happy with any of Ford, Lindstrom,  or Risner if it meant we didn't have to worry about one OG spot for 10 years

1 hour ago, NoDakViking said:

Who was that WR a while back that just kept getting bigger and bigger?  David Boston?

Yeah that would be David Boston, and there is a limit to it how big you want a WR.  At some point as a WR that does not exactly help, look at Randy, he was skinny as can be and still does not matter.  Being that big matters but only for a LB, DL, OL and maybe RB not really a run position like WR.  Rather have a type 1 muscle fiber guy at WR who has better endurance over the game than a big strong dude but fatigues quickly and does not have the stamina.  Even with Terrell Owens the more muscular he got he did not exactly get better I felt, with DK will see how he does but his teammate AJ Brown is a big thick kid also but is a lot more smooth of a route runner, has better hands and is arguably more versatile as a WR.  And Calvin Johnson, he was big and strong but he was also smooth on the football field and was not this muscle bound dude only, he displayed hands and a catch radius DK has never show at Ole Miss, Calvin had wonderful body control and length.  

9 hours ago, PrplChilPill said:

If they take one, it will be because they think he's a long term starter, not just to take one. Such a tired phrase. 

I mean teams panic and reach for prospects to fill needs all the time. If we have a perceived "reach" for an OL, but we reach because we are high on the guy and believe he is a long term starter, I'm fine with that. If the team isn't actually sold that a guy is worth the pick that we use on him but we take him because it's a need, I'm not fine with that. 

We took Christian Ponder because we needed a quarterback. That was a panic move. However, the Cowboys took Travis Fredrick who was perceived as a reach at the time, but they took him because they thought he could anchor their line and that was a great pick.

I definitely think teams do make picks "just to take one" when they have a huge need.

If you're high on the guy, it's not really a reach to begin with.

4 minutes ago, RpMc said:

It is if their name is Mike Mamula.  Just being high on a guy doesn't make it not a reach.  Brad Childress was high on Tarvaris Jackson, but he never should have been drafted in the 2nd round. 

Edited by swede700

33 minutes ago, swede700 said:

It is if their name is Mike Mamula.  Just being high on a guy doesn't make it not a reach.  Brad Childress was high on Tarvaris Jackson, but he never should have been drafted in the 2nd round. 

If that's how your board stacks up (assuming that's what meant by "high on") it's not a reach.  A bad pick =/= a reach; it can just be a bad pick due to poor scouting/ranking.

How far will he fall? I feel like if he's there in round two and the Vikings went OL in round one, I would hope that they'd draft him.

29 minutes ago, The Gnat said:

How far will he fall? I feel like if he's there in round two and the Vikings went OL in round one, I would hope that they'd draft him.

Doesn't help us for this year though. The Vikes are a cap strapped team and don't have many picks to play around with. 

Edited by vikingsrule

6 minutes ago, vikingsrule said:

Doesn't help us for this year though. The Vikes are a cap strapped team and don't have many picks to play around with. 

Yeah, but the value is extremely high, and passing on drafting someone because they are injured when they are top 15 pick otherwise, that is how you end up with a team that drops off a cliff at times.

35 minutes ago, The Gnat said:

Wouldn’t be shocked to see him fall farther tbh, off the field issues, multiplied by this is hard to justify spending draft capital on him early. 

But on the other hand, he’s extremely talented. Will be interesting to follow.

1 hour ago, RpMc said:

That's why I said perceived reach. As in the perception around the league or amongst draft pundits is that it's a reach.

If I'm not mistaken, the off the field stuff was prior to college or very early in college? I know there's some prospect (think it's him) who has seemed to turn it around and stayed out of trouble the past few years.

16 minutes ago, The Gnat said:

Yeah, but the value is extremely high, and passing on drafting someone because they are injured when they are top 15 pick otherwise, that is how you end up with a team that drops off a cliff at times.

The Vikes could drop off a cliff this year if starting needs along the OL and DL aren't resolved. If Zimmer and Spielman are playing for their jobs, hard to see them using a top 50 pick on a player who may not be available until the next regime takes over.