2019 Draft Talk

swede700

22 hours ago, vikingsrule said:

Doesn't help us for this year though. The Vikes are a cap strapped team and don't have many picks to play around with. 

While that is all true, we've had significant injuries to early picks before (Hughes, Greenway). We get Hughes back next year, so that's like adding a pick. I'd rather take a guy who is injured, knowing that he will be a stud, over a guy of lesser talent who may also get injured. And yes, I know that a season ending injury for a rookie is purely hypothetical and statistically not likely to happen, but talent is talent, and you can't have too much of it. I think of it as trading a 2nd round pick this year for a top 15 pick next year. 

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, wcblack34 said:

While that is all true, we've had significant injuries to early picks before (Hughes, Greenway). We get Hughes back next year, so that's like adding a pick. I'd rather take a guy who is injured, knowing that he will be a stud, over a guy of lesser talent who may also get injured. And yes, I know that a season ending injury for a rookie is purely hypothetical and statistically not likely to happen, but talent is talent, and you can't have too much of it. I think of it as trading a 2nd round pick this year for a top 15 pick next year. 

Plus ACL's are traditionally 9 month recoveries in today's day and age. That would put him back on the field at the end of November. And he could probably be getting some practice reps before that. Now we don't know how much a rookie could contribute late in the season without many reps, but even if you just used him on pass rush Downs and let him go we could have a fresh interior pass rusher for a late season push. 

1 hour ago, SemperFeist said:

Does Dallas regret using a top 35 pick on Jaylon Smith?

The answer you’re looking for is no. No they do not. 

Absolutely not, but also nobody was on the hot seat at that point.

I hope nobody is drafting for right now and would make a move on someone falling like that, but I also have a weird feeling they will be looking to be skipping over players that won’t be any sort of impact this year, even if it applies to special teams. 

How can you mess with you’re salary cap the best? Get a bunch of players on the active roster that are rookies.

28 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

The Cowboys just went 4-12 a year after going 12-4. People were on the hotseat. 

After Romo just broke his collar bone, 12-4 season before that. Garrett had no worries, also Jones wasn’t going anywhere obviously. They knew Romo’s time was near an ending and Garrett had every possibility to play and develop a rookie QB

It was already going to be a whirlwind of a draft process for Mississippi State interior defensive lineman Jeffery Simmons. After being one of the Top 10 draft-eligible players in all of college football in 2018, Simmons was poised to take on the draft process as one of the biggest names. But after not being invited to the NFL Scouting Combine due to a violent incident that happened between he and a woman many years ago, that talent of his became a question in public light with character concerns now on his resume.

Due to all that, Simmons was already going to be a polarizing prospect. But now, after the news came out that he recently tore his ACL while training, the outlook on Simmons is going to be all over the place.

https://thedraftnetwork.com/2019/02/13/the-precedent-set-for-jeffery-simmons-injury/

3 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

No. He was released before the comp pick deadline. 

See I heard that as well but it was also followed by nothing official so I wasnt really sure how that would work & if there was still a chance we could end up with the comp pick.

1 hour ago, Boda said:

See I heard that as well but it was also followed by nothing official so I wasnt really sure how that would work & if there was still a chance we could end up with the comp pick.

There wouldn't be any official release in terms of "potential" comp picks.  Nothing official on comp picks is released until the picks themselves are - technically, we aren't even told who the comp picks are for either.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, RpMc said:

There wouldn't be any official release in terms of "potential" comp picks.  Nothing official on comp picks is released until the picks themselves are - technically, we aren't even told who the comp picks are for either.

See thats what i'm saying though no one really knows because there is no actual formula or set criteria that we the public know, from what Ive seen everyone is just guessing but the whole reason Im asking is because I read somewhere the other day that there was still a possibility we could receive that comp pick.  Just basically wondering if they just didn't know what they were talking about or if there is just a small percentage we could still get it.  

For myself I don't get the whole he got cut so he shouldnt count, he still got signed & was there over half the season.  I see no reason why we shouldn't still get the pick but thats just my opinion & have no idea at all how it works.

Edited by Boda

Well we know that certain players don't qualify in the formula. Players cut before a certain point in the season, or before playing a certain number of games, or snaps, don't count.

Nick Korte and OverTheCap are two pretty reliable sources for comp pick calculations.

Edited by RpMc
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, RpMc said:

Well we know that certain players don't qualify in the formula. Players cut before a certain point in the season, or before playing a certain number of games, or snaps, don't count.

Nick Korte and OverTheCap are two pretty reliable sources for comp pick calculations.

Yep, there is nothing official at all. OTC won't be perfect but it gives a good idea. You can see their predictions for previous years and see that they have a pretty good idea. They started from the work of AdamJT; he did most of the work of figuring out the details. Every year there are a few surprises still and we look at them to determine the cause. The Bradford situation should not present a surprise. That is a situation that we have seen before and it is pretty well understood that players released at the time Bradford was released will not qualify as part of the formula.

By now it is pretty well figured out how to determine if a player will qualify or not. The exception is the guys at the bottom. The exact cut point for qualifying at a 7th round level versus not qualifying at all is not too clear.  That is similar to the uncertainty near the borders between any round and the next. We have a decent idea but do not know for sure. Current thinking is that it has to do with how a contract is ranked relative to all the other contracts in the league.

The thing that has been reverse engineered the least successfully to this point is exactly how some of the factors other than average value per year of contract factor in. There are other factors but they seem to be so small compared to average salary that it is hard to identify enough of them to draw any conclusions on just how much they matter. Those other factors do not generally appear to change whether a player qualifies or not as much as an adjustment to the level (round) they would qualify at.

• Like 1

On 2/12/2019 at 2:24 PM, swede700 said:

And it's why the Packers haven't been able to win more than 2 SB titles in the last 25 years despite having back to back HOF QBs, which I've continued to insist should be an indictment of their coaching staffs/management over that span of time.  

(Packers' fans will probably come in here and think I'm just a bitter Vikings fan, as they have before, but it's none of the sort...if the Vikings had experienced the same situation, it wouldn't change my opinion...if we had been blessed with back to back HOF QBs, I would be bitter with the same outcome)

I'd definitely say that isn't a totally accurate description.  I'm not saying the Packers don't have their fair share of issues throughout the years, but pinning it strictly on the coaching staff/management isn't the only reason why the only reason why the Packers have only won 2 SB titles.  I mean, did Mike McCarthy tell Brandon Bostick to go for the onside kick instead of blocking for Jordy Nelson?  No.  It's damn near impossible to separate what's the FO/coaching staff's fault and what's the players' faults.