2019 Draft Talk

swede700

On 2/16/2019 at 9:26 AM, NoDakViking said:

At least have some sort of prorated scale to how it works.  Like if Bradford's money alone could have netted the Vikings as high as a 3rd, but since he was cut early it drops down to a 5th or 6th?

There's just way too much subjectivity with that.  At the end of the day, it's a pretty black and white scenario.  If a player is released before Week X, they don't count towards the compensatory formula.  Why should the Vikings (or any other franchise) benefit from a team overpaying for a player?  Why should any team be hurt by recognizing their mistake?  I get the frustration with not receiving a comp pick for Bradford, but the rule has to be black and white.

9 hours ago, CWood21 said:

There's just way too much subjectivity with that.  At the end of the day, it's a pretty black and white scenario.  If a player is released before Week X, they don't count towards the compensatory formula.  Why should the Vikings (or any other franchise) benefit from a team overpaying for a player?  Why should any team be hurt by recognizing their mistake?  I get the frustration with not receiving a comp pick for Bradford, but the rule has to be black and white.

Agreed.  It is what it is.  You have to learn to not be upset about something you never had in the first place...you only had the hope of getting it.  If you never got it, nothing really has been missed.  :D

11 hours ago, CWood21 said:

I think that's why it should be cut off of week 1. What happens during the offseason should be seperated from what happens during the regular season. 

Comp picks are intended to recognize and compensate a team for their loss, I still don't see why their success or availability elsewhere matters as part of the formula. It shouldn't and doesn't. We've seen many times, a good player signing a huge FA contract just to bust with their new team. Or get injured. The team still receives proper compensation for losing that player even though they were a complete failure in their new spot. 

Teams benefit all the time when they lose FAs to ridiculous contracts. Even if it doesn't work out. Just seems odd to me that the Cardinals decision to release Bradford vs IRing him costs the Vikes a 3rd round pick.

44 minutes ago, vikingsrule said:

I think that's why it should be cut off of week 1. What happens during the offseason should be seperated from what happens during the regular season. 

Comp picks are intended to recognize and compensate a team for their loss, I still don't see why their success or availability elsewhere matters as part of the formula. It shouldn't and doesn't. We've seen many times, a good player signing a huge FA contract just to bust with their new team. Or get injured. The team still receives proper compensation for losing that player even though they were a complete failure in their new spot. 

Teams benefit all the time when they lose FAs to ridiculous contracts. Even if it doesn't work out. Just seems odd to me that the Cardinals decision to release Bradford vs IRing him costs the Vikes a 3rd round pick.

Why?  Comp picks were added to essentially reward teams who develop talent, but are forced to let them walk as FAs.  If a player is released say after Week 4, what real benefit does the team who signed that player gain?  Nothing.  I believe the cutoff is Week 10, which would be the point in the season where every team has played at least 9 games, which is more than half the season.  There's a stark difference between a player being a bust or injured, and someone who isn't there.  One is on the roster, one isn't.  It's a HUGE difference.

What exactly is the benefit for the Cardinals to release Sam Bradford?  They're eating salary on a guy who isn't suiting up for them.

2 hours ago, swede700 said:

Agreed.  It is what it is.  You have to learn to not be upset about something you never had in the first place...you only had the hope of getting it.  If you never got it, nothing really has been missed.  :D

Don't get me wrong, I'd be irritated too if I thought I was going to get a 3rd round comp pick and then a "loophole" kept the Packers from getting that comp pick.

1 hour ago, CWood21 said:

Don't get me wrong, I'd be irritated too if I thought I was going to get a 3rd round comp pick and then a "loophole" kept the Packers from getting that comp pick.

Oh, sure, I understand it is a little irritating, but in the end, it can't be controlled.  You don't like the rule...attempt to influence the people who can change it.  Me personally...while it would have been nice, it's not that big of a deal...I've always viewed compensatory picks as just another way to push the Vikings' other picks down lower, since they rarely get them anyway.  

Cody Ford selected with pick 1.18 in the GM mock I'm participating in.  Almost pulled the trigger on a trade up to #15 with Jawaan Taylor and Cody Ford still on the board, but felt confident one of the two would be there when I picked.  Taylor went 16, and I nabbed Ford at 18.

Excited to see who falls to me at 29, but it's already been a successful offseason in my mind adding Ford to the mix with the o-line and Demarcus Robinson as a #3 receiver upgrade for Treadwell (who I shipped to Pittsburgh for a 7th round pick).

13 hours ago, RpMc said:

Cody Ford selected with pick 1.18 in the GM mock I'm participating in.  Almost pulled the trigger on a trade up to #15 with Jawaan Taylor and Cody Ford still on the board, but felt confident one of the two would be there when I picked.  Taylor went 16, and I nabbed Ford at 18.

Excited to see who falls to me at 29, but it's already been a successful offseason in my mind adding Ford to the mix with the o-line and Demarcus Robinson as a #3 receiver upgrade for Treadwell (who I shipped to Pittsburgh for a 7th round pick).

Nice! Who are your targets at 29?

That pick was from trading Rhodes to KC right?

9 minutes ago, Snake Plissken said:

I like the Rhodes trade.  I am also wondering who is available for pick 29?

Still not quite there yet; I've got a few names that I'm targeting. If you want to look at the draft, it can be found here:

1 hour ago, RpMc said:

Still not quite there yet; I've got a few names that I'm targeting. If you want to look at the draft, it can be found here:

As you said there are still a few picks to go, but there are certainly players available at multiple positions.  I see a few I would hope would be available.  Keep up the good work.

With the 29th pick of the 2019 BDP Mock Draft, the Minnesota Vikings select...

Image result for noah fant

Noah Fant | TE | Iowa

Again, I was working to potentially trade up to secure the player that I coveted.  Out of the Iowa tight ends, Hockenson is the one that I would prefer, but with the hype surrounding him at this point, it was doubtful he would last until even my first pick at #18.  Fant provides us with a great receiving threat at the tight end position.  His blocking needs some work, but isn't as poor as is being portrayed right now leading up to the draft.  Finally, I feel like we have a tight end who can work the seams while still being a red zone threat as well.  Coming out of the first round with Cody Ford and Noah Fant is a great scenario to help my team reload and make a push this year.

@Ragnarok and the Packers are on the clock.

-----

Snagged right in front of the Packers.  I thought about going Greg Little here at tackle, but there are still a bunch of good interior offensive line options to choose from in round two.  I've added Cody Ford, Noah Fant, and Demarcus Robinson to the offense at this point. Still A LOT of defensive tackles on the board too.  I have a pick in the second, third, and two in the fourth (Kyle Rudolph trade) to play with.

Archived