2019 Draft Talk

swede700

1 hour ago, PrplChilPill said:

Having the best scoring D in the league last year and this year appears to be not producing SB contenders. I'd suggest investing in the OL.....it's an offense first league.

While we all agree that they need to invest in the OL, I'm still of the opinion that, despite it being an offense-first league, that the best way to take advantage of that is to have the best defense.  I'm a person who doesn't want to waste time trying to keep up with the Joneses (offense) because you can be just as successful by bringing the Joneses back to your level by slowing them down...and as far as I'm concerned, that's an easier task to accomplish...and one that the baseball team in town has done poorly at in years.  There's no sense in banging your head against the wall when you can go around it.  

39 minutes ago, vikingsrule said:

Probably not this year. Hard seeing anyone  in the NFC getting past LA or New Orleans and neither team really has a defense.

Time will certainly tell, but we’ve also seen the Saints offense stall when they hit a good defense against Minnesota. And if it wasn’t for their defense, the Vikings would have likely won. And while the Saints defensive rank is currently middle of the pack, they’ve also held 7 of their last 10 opponents to 20 or fewer points. So, I wouldn’t say that the Saints don’t have a defense  

It’ll be interesting to see what happens when the Rams play Chicago. 

Edited by SemperFeist

On 9/6/2018 at 12:05 AM, Klomp said:

There are a few Wyoming defenders who will be drafted. :D

So I've referenced my Wyoming guys a couple of times. Full disclosure: I haven't been as good about seeing every Wyoming game since I was inFleckted. Still saw a handful of games, and these guys still stood out as expected.

Carl Granderson, DE
He's already reportedly accepted his Senior Bowl invite and probably will be at the combine. This guy has great length for the DE position. He's 6-foot-5 and listed at 261 lbs. When this kid signed his LOI, he was 185 lbs.

He may not have the purest moves, but he's the type of player who I believe could flourish under the tutelage of Patterson. I'm guessing he'll be a Day 3 pick though there's an outside chance I think he could go earlier.

Andrew Wingard, S
Think Andrew Sendejo's playing style and you pretty much have Andrew Wingard. He's a safety with a nose for the ball in the running game. He's the active leader in career tackles with 454 in his four seasons. He put on about 45 pounds of strength over his career. I'm guessing level of competition and possible struggles in the passing game will keep him a Day 3 pick.

Marcus Epps, S
The most unheralded of the three, but I think he could wind up having a nice career and it wouldn't shock me if he had the best pro career of the three of them. He is a former walk-on who ended his career as a 4-year starter and 3-year captain for the Cowboys. Not spectacular, but gets the job done. If he gets drafted, I doubt it would be much before the seventh round. Honestly, I'd comp him to a Marcus Sherels. Just a solid player.

28 minutes ago, gopherwrestler said:

So if we can’t resign Barr, everyone is still in favor of not drafting a LB 1st round?

I don't see why MN would need too. I'd trust finding a LB in round 2 or 3. It's not a premier position anymore and you probably just end up playing Gedeon or Kearse more.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, vikingsrule said:

Probably not this year. Hard seeing anyone  in the NFC getting past LA or New Orleans and neither team really has a defense.

I still have no faith in the Rams having a whole lot of success in the playoffs.  I think they will stub their toe somewhere...whether it's against the Vikings, Bears or someone else.  

3 minutes ago, swede700 said:

I still have no faith in the Rams having a whole lot of success in the playoffs.  I think they will stub their toe somewhere...whether it's against the Vikings, Bears or someone else.  

I don't think the Rams get past the Saints. Frankly, not sure anyone is better than the Saints right now. Will see if they can carry that into the playoffs. Just seems like it's Brees's year from breaking records to being the top MVP candidate (don't think he's ever won).

Edited by vikingsrule

4 hours ago, MattVikings said:

Round 1: OL

Round 2: DL

or 

Round 1: DL

Round 2: OL

Every year.

It is a good discussion between BPA available at any position versus best player available at highest impact position. However, under either scenario you can't ever take away QB as an option at any point in the draft IMO.

19 minutes ago, Cearbhall said:

It is a good discussion between BPA available at any position versus best player available at highest impact position. However, under either scenario you can't ever take away QB as an option at any point in the draft IMO.

Certainly true but I think this team my be a year or two away from that conversation. Cousins needs to cement himself as a top 10 QB and win some big games to get a second contract imo.

3 hours ago, gopherwrestler said:

To be honest, I’m still 100% BPA at a position of need. I just can’t get behind force drafting player and skipping over someone who they have more faith in. Bad teams do that.

Which is what we've read here for years, and why the OL is not even close to good. Because somehow, there has only been OL value in round 1 or 2 one time in the last five years......

22 minutes ago, PrplChilPill said:

Which is what we've read here for years, and why the OL is not even close to good. Because somehow, there has only been OL value in round 1 or 2 one time in the last five years......

The alternative is reaching on a player which isn't always a bad thing if you can fill a position of need with someone who's valued highly on your board. Is it worth taking an OL a round or half a round early? Maybe. O'Neill seems to be working out and if he develops into a long term starter, would anyone care if he was taken instead of Mike Hughes in round one? Probably not.