2019 Draft Talk

swede700

7 minutes ago, byuvike88 said:

"Don't get too excited, don't get too excited, don't get too excited..."

If Hockensen is our pick in Rd1, and Bradbury,  Ford, Lindstrom, Risner, and Williams are gone who is everyone's favorite Round 2 OL

8 minutes ago, TENINCH said:

McGovern?

19 minutes ago, NoDakViking said:

If Hockensen is our pick in Rd1, and Bradbury,  Ford, Lindstrom, Risner, and Williams are gone who is everyone's favorite Round 2 OL

Is someone like Andre Dillard still available? Elgton Jenkins, Erik McCoy, Dru Samia... personally not a huge fan of McGovern there.

Edited by RpMc

10 minutes ago, RpMc said:

Is someone like Andre Dillard still available? Elgton Jenkins, Erik McCoy, Dru Samia... personally not a huge fan of McGovern there.

Probably not.   I could see Dillard and one other going before 18.  Hard to pass on Hockensen and wondering what IOL would probably make it to 50.

1 hour ago, pacman5252 said:

I feel like Polite is going to be the red flag DE that drops to the 3rd or 4th that MN steals and becomes a pro bowler(like Griff/Hunter).

I saw Zuerlein say that he is definitely out of the first. What happened?

10 minutes ago, byuvike88 said:

I saw Zuerlein say that he is definitely out of the first. What happened?

He had pretty bad interviews apparently (there is a clip of him in front of reporters sounding like he took offense to critical questions). His workout was pretty mediocre too (4.84 forty, 32 inch vert). He needs to get humbled and coached up a bit.

21 hours ago, Kparty15 said:

Looking back at Brian O’Neill’s combine stats compared to this years class I can’t believe how big of a steal we got on him.  He performed as good or better of a combine than just about everyone in this years class.  Statistically O’Neill was better than Jonah Williams in every category from size to athleticism.

O'Neill did run a great 40 at his size and had a decent rookie year but there is a point where it is like, who cares.  Look at Aviante Collins, he ran a 4.8 something 40 time as well and not like he has ever started a game in his life in the NFL so far.  Sure running fast is nice and looks good but for OL play it is not all that wildly important.  I would arguably take the power of a guy like Orlando Brown Jr. who had a pretty poor combine last year but is a more powerful player with more upside and strength as a OT.  O'Neill did ok and was nice to see him moved into starting lineup later in the year but it is not like that group played great collectively.  Not 100% sold on him as our starting tackle for the future either, will see how he looks this next year.  But draft wise yeah he was a steal where we got him.  

6 hours ago, RpMc said:

Justin Hollins [OREGON] as a potential developmental guy to replace Barr? 6'5, 245 lbs, 4.51 40 YD... MVP of the shrine game.

Very true, I have liked him all season long.  Great project at that size, kid is huge and very athletic, could easily play in 4/3 as a OLB, not quite the pass rusher Barr was but then again Barr has not carried that over really into the NFL, looked like a legit 3/4 OLB rusher in college, still a fine pro regardless but I agree could be a nice pickup 2nd to 3rd round but then he would be gone.  I would not mind Chase Hansen, Gary Johnson, David Long, Germaine Pratt, Blake Cashman or Drue Tranquill either so they have options at linebacker in the 2nd or 3rd round possibly.  Not sure it is a huge need though right now, would love to have seen Hansen run but maybe he was injured, curious what his 40 would have been, and Tranquill did amazing with a great 40 and a very impressive bench press, former safety with coverage skills and range at linebacker, could be a good fit in the pass happy NFL of today.  

3 hours ago, pacman5252 said:

I feel like Polite is going to be the red flag DE that drops to the 3rd or 4th that MN steals and becomes a pro bowler(like Griff/Hunter).

If you want to switch to a 3/4 and like players who cannot hold up at the point of attack or stop the run sure he could be your guy.  Griffen and Hunter both killed it at the combine and performed very well, sure both did not really produce in college as much but physically they were always elite and only dropped because of lack of production on the field at times.  Polite is not that I feel, he is clearly not some super elite athlete some oddly thought of him as, and in a 4/3 he would be pretty bad and could never hold the edge against the run.  If the Vikings want DE help in the 3rd or 4th round give me Anthony Nelson but he could be gone, Ben Bangou, Joe Jackson, Porter Gustin, Shareef Miller or Maxx Crosby among others.  

36 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

Good to see Blake getting some love, dude did have a great season too bad he missed the Wisconsin game because of injury and did not play the bowl game.  Arguably his best game of the season though was Northwestern.  Also not sold on the Vander Esch comp, he is not the thumper Vander Esch is and is not as physical but is athletic and fast to the football for sure.  With the combine he had should be a solid 3rd to 4th round pick possibly.