2019 Draft Talk

swede700

At this point I’m really starting to think that we need to trade back at least once in the 1st round and I’d maybe even consider trading back twice.  I just think there are so many 1st round caliber prospects this year that might end up falling into the 2nd and 3rd rounds.  It would help us a lot more if we could acquire some more day two picks.  Maybe we could stay at 18 if a top 10 prospect falls to us, but even then I would still highly consider trading back.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Kparty15 said:

Maybe we could stay at 18 if a top 10 prospect falls to us, but even then I would still highly consider trading back.

2 things.

1. It depends on who the prospect is.

2. As you know it always takes two to tango in the trades.

1 hour ago, gopherwrestler said:

Guy has done a lot for the community, but it still is a need for us. At some point Rudolph won’t be here anymore whether it’s this year or next year. 

And Rudolph has always been bitter when someone brings up a Tight end with athleticism. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Kparty15 said:

At this point I’m really starting to think that we need to trade back at least once in the 1st round and I’d maybe even consider trading back twice.  I just think there are so many 1st round caliber prospects this year that might end up falling into the 2nd and 3rd rounds.  It would help us a lot more if we could acquire some more day two picks.  Maybe we could stay at 18 if a top 10 prospect falls to us, but even then I would still highly consider trading back.

Seems ideal but its not always easy. It seems there are a handful of OL who could be in play in round one that fit the scheme, Ford, Risner, Lindstrom, Bradburry, Dillard; id think one would be there in the mid 20s. DE, TE, and DT are also legit first round needs too depending upon what happens with Griffen, Richardson and Rudolph. Those positions seem deep too.

Edited by vikingsrule

34 minutes ago, Kparty15 said:

I’ve brought this up since we started talking about the draft.

Id love to see a trade back some and trade back up into day one or the beginning of the 2nd round.

Of course this only makes sense for players that have the ability to “help right now” but looking into Spielman and Zimmers and the rest of the staffs eyes to me they have a window of 2 years. Find the best talent now, and make something happen.

And remember you can look to next year.

comp picks. I realize it always doesn’t come out positive (Sam Bradford)

but if we don’t retain Murray, Barr, and Richardson, they should all bring in comp picks for next year. You can look our future 3rd and 4th round picks to move to move up.

I realize that I am in the "draft for need" camp, and my comment is slanted as such, but trading back would not be something I would want to see.  The Vikings priority need is for interior offensive linemen.  Unfortunately, at least 50% of the teams drafting before our 18th pick also have interior offensive line needs.  My prediction is that even those linemen who grade out as 2nd or 3rd round picks will be flying off the shelves in the first round like toilet paper, bread and milk prior to a predicted snow storm!

58 minutes ago, Virginia Viking said:

I realize that I am in the "draft for need" camp, and my comment is slanted as such, but trading back would not be something I would want to see.  The Vikings priority need is for interior offensive linemen.  Unfortunately, at least 50% of the teams drafting before our 18th pick also have interior offensive line needs.  My prediction is that even those linemen who grade out as 2nd or 3rd round picks will be flying off the shelves in the first round like toilet paper, bread and milk prior to a predicted snow storm!

Ok but if you even move back a couple spots and can net the same player....... you gained value

2 minutes ago, gopherwrestler said:

Ok but if you even move back a couple spots and can net the same player....... you gained value

Yes but you run the risk of missing out on them too. The Seahawks and Texans draft 3 and 5 picks behind us, so if you trade back past that we could get ourselves in trouble if we are aiming for and OL.

I'm almost always in the mood for a trade back so long as it doesn't completely move us out of the 1st round (unless we are picking in the #28 range from the get go). In my opinion, most drafts don't have some steep quality drop off between 10-15 picks, but by acquiring more picks you're just putting more pellets in your shotgun shell, and increasing your opportunity for a hit.

• Like 2