Jump to content
swede700

2019 Draft Talk

Recommended Posts

31 minutes ago, TENINCH said:

His first rounders have been good but we're not hanging on to them.Even if we didn't sign Cousins I wouldn't want to pay Barr what he thinks he's worth. Honestly the rest of his drafts have b een pretty bad. If not for 2015 we have little to show for his picks.

Well, for 2016, they do have Mackensie, Morgan, Weatherly and Kearse (with Laquon and Brothers still technically on the team).  That's still pretty solid, even if it's not filled with stars.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Finishing up the GM mock draft (last few rounds always slow to a grind...). I still have two picks left (the compensatory 7th rounders), but I like the way the draft shook out outside a few developmental guys who got sniped just before my picks in the later rounds.

Drafts Picks

1.18 - Cody Ford [G/T] Oklahoma
1.29  - Noah Fant [TE] Iowa (via KC Chiefs & Xavier Rhodes Trade)
2.50 - Jerry Tillery [DT] Notre Dame
3.81 - Dru Samia [G] Oklahoma

4.120 - Traded to LAC for Forrest Lamp


4.125 - Joe Giles-Harris [LB] Duke (via DEN Broncos & Kyle Rudolph Trade)
6.192 - Jordan Brown [CB] South Dakota State
6.210 - Preston Wiliams [WR] Colorado State (comp)
7.221 - Easton Stick [QB] North Dakota State(via PIT & Laquan Treadwell trade)

Edited by RpMc

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Quote

 

After a long hiatus, 5-Play prospect is back, and I feel good about this one...because I get to talk about a player who has a ton of buzz following his eye-opening Combine performance, Mr. Blake “Johnny” Cashman (I have no idea if anyone calls him Johnny in reference to the famous singer Johnny Cash).

At 6-foot-1, 237 pounds, Cashman is undersized for a linebacker, but where he may be lacking in size he makes up for it in speed and a motor that simply never quits. 

 

https://thedraftnetwork.com/articles/5-play-prospect--minnesota-lb-blake-cashman

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, swede700 said:

At 6-foot-1, 237 pounds, Cashman is undersized for a linebacker

I know you didn't write it but is that really considered undersized in today's game?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, VikeManDan said:

I know you didn't write it but is that really considered undersized in today's game?

For an off the ball LB, I'd say he has ideal size. Lots of MLBs are even becoming smaller and more athletic.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, vikestyle said:

Somebody is going to make Trenton Brown the highest paid OL in NFL history. I don't think we will be able to get in on that sweepstakes.

I was still hoping people are sleeping on the kid, and he has not made a Pro Bowl in his career so not sure he will be the highest paid OL quite yet.  Still no clue why the 49ers let him go but he was a huge key to the Patriots winning the Super Bowl this past year I thought.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

I was still hoping people are sleeping on the kid, and he has not made a Pro Bowl in his career so not sure he will be the highest paid OL quite yet.  Still no clue why the 49ers let him go but he was a huge key to the Patriots winning the Super Bowl this past year I thought.  

So many teams have money to blow and terrible OL's that I think he's gonna get a huuuuge payday. Especially from the Jets or Bills. So much cap and young QB's to protect.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, vikestyle said:

So many teams have money to blow and terrible OL's that I think he's gonna get a huuuuge payday. Especially from the Jets or Bills. So much cap and young QB's to protect.

Giving him the $5.5 to $6.5 Million we are giving Remmers would be a start, then add that with the $9.4 to $10.9 Million we are giving Reiff who has disappointed I would say some what.  Regardless that Remmers contract has to go and he has to be cut.  

 

Donovan Smith on Tampa Bay just got 3 years $41.25 Million, so $12-$14 million a year, freaking nuts on a player I do not think is all that great, good sure but is not as good as Trenton Brown so maybe Brown will get a huge pay day.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Ozzy said:

Giving him the $5.5 to $6.5 Million we are giving Remmers would be a start, then add that with the $9.4 to $10.9 Million we are giving Reiff who has disappointed I would say some what.  Regardless that Remmers contract has to go and he has to be cut.  

 

Donovan Smith on Tampa Bay just got 3 years $41.25 Million, so $12-$14 million a year, freaking nuts on a player I do not think is all that great, good sure but is not as good as Trenton Brown so maybe Brown will get a huge pay day.

 

 

In today's NFL, being somewhat competent as a lineman is to be considered great! All-Pro!!!  Alas, I mourn the passing of the truly gifted and great players that occupied the offensive lines of the NFL...Art Shell, Gene Upshaw, John Hannah, Anthony Munoz (perhaps the greatest of all-time), Ron Yary, Jim Parker, Ron Mix, Randall McDaniel, Mike Webster, Bruce Matthews, and Forrest Gregg.

The spread offense that colleges play, as well as the de-valuation of linemen in the NFL has had a negative effect, in my opinion, on the modern game.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Ozzy said:

Giving him the $5.5 to $6.5 Million we are giving Remmers would be a start, then add that with the $9.4 to $10.9 Million we are giving Reiff who has disappointed I would say some what.  Regardless that Remmers contract has to go and he has to be cut.  

Donovan Smith on Tampa Bay just got 3 years $41.25 Million, so $12-$14 million a year, freaking nuts on a player I do not think is all that great, good sure but is not as good as Trenton Brown so maybe Brown will get a huge pay day.

Assuming the obvious cuts of Remmers and Sendejo, a Griffen trade, and Rudy refusing to restructure thus meaning he's cut as well that would give us just over $33M in cap. Might be enough to make a run at Trent Brown.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
22 minutes ago, Virginia Viking said:

In today's NFL, being somewhat competent as a lineman is to be considered great! All-Pro!!!  Alas, I mourn the passing of the truly gifted and great players that occupied the offensive lines of the NFL...Art Shell, Gene Upshaw, John Hannah, Anthony Munoz (perhaps the greatest of all-time), Ron Yary, Jim Parker, Ron Mix, Randall McDaniel, Mike Webster, Bruce Matthews, and Forrest Gregg.

The spread offense that colleges play, as well as the de-valuation of linemen in the NFL has had a negative effect, in my opinion, on the modern game.

I don't disagree at all.  The "pass-happy"ness of today's game (which de-emphasizes the offensive linemen) has actually made the game far more boring to me than it once was.  I still enjoy watching the Vikings play, but that's about all I can watch these days.  I eventually may have to get back to watching Aussie Rules Football to see some more rugged play.  :D

Edited by swede700

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎3‎/‎6‎/‎2019 at 10:55 AM, VikeManDan said:

But we had Floyd...hindsight is a beautiful thing.

So is foresight;)

 

On ‎3‎/‎6‎/‎2019 at 11:12 AM, TENINCH said:

Many here were still clamoring for Donald at the time.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I wasn't clamoring for Donald, but I expected that they would take him considering he was available at the time.  I wasn't anticipating Barr.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Virginia Viking said:

In today's NFL, being somewhat competent as a lineman is to be considered great! All-Pro!!!  Alas, I mourn the passing of the truly gifted and great players that occupied the offensive lines of the NFL...Art Shell, Gene Upshaw, John Hannah, Anthony Munoz (perhaps the greatest of all-time), Ron Yary, Jim Parker, Ron Mix, Randall McDaniel, Mike Webster, Bruce Matthews, and Forrest Gregg.

The spread offense that colleges play, as well as the de-valuation of linemen in the NFL has had a negative effect, in my opinion, on the modern game.

I would go for a simple Jonathan Ogden, Orlando Pace, Larry Allen or Toni Boselli heck Joe Thomas which is oddly rare to get now a days.  Strange enough, I think it is crazy the contract Maurkice Pouncey just got, a great center like that All Pro and Pro bowler gets paid that little?  I mean he is totally in the range that Reiff gets later in his contract, and what Donovan Smith got, how is he getting paid more than Pouncey?  I mean WTF.

 

Would love to see the Vikings go a little anti spread and bound the rock like they pretended to do later in the season, clearly that up tempo spread stuff did not play well and no matter how many yards they passed for they lost games and the defense struggled in that type of football game.  How they address the OL this off season will be huge in what exactly kind of team they will be, a up tempo finesse offense and run game or a more smash mouth run game.  

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We’ve all seen mock drafts that have either Ed Oliver or Jonah Williams slipping to the Vikings at 18. But mocks don’t include trades, and I’d be very surprised that a team behind the Vikings wouldn’t trade up for one of those two players before either actually got to the 18th pick. 

That being said. Where would either player have to fall to before you’d be willing to trade up to get him? And what would you be willing to give up in order to make the trade?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.



×