2019 Draft Talk

swede700

21 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

We’ve all seen mock drafts that have either Ed Oliver or Jonah Williams slipping to the Vikings at 18. But mocks don’t include trades, and I’d be very surprised that a team behind the Vikings wouldn’t trade up for one of those two players before either actually got to the 18th pick. 

That being said. Where would either player have to fall to before you’d be willing to trade up to get him? And what would you be willing to give up in order to make the trade?

Neither player is worth trading up for, especially Williams.  But, as far as Oliver, the only reason I wouldn't consider trading up for him is because he'd be a luxury pick.  With the depth at his position in this draft, I'm not giving up an additional pick just to get him.  I'm not sure there's going to be a significant enough difference between him and a guy they'd get in the 2nd round.  

4 hours ago, swede700 said:

Neither player is worth trading up for, especially Williams.  But, as far as Oliver, the only reason I wouldn't consider trading up for him is because he'd be a luxury pick.  With the depth at his position in this draft, I'm not giving up an additional pick just to get him.  I'm not sure there's going to be a significant enough difference between him and a guy they'd get in the 2nd round.  

And that's the rub right there. I think there's a huge difference between him and the second round guys, but if you don't then obviously it doesn't make sense to go get him.

27 minutes ago, vikestyle said:

And that's the rub right there. I think there's a huge difference between him and the second round guys, but if you don't then obviously it doesn't make sense to go get him.

That is probably it.  He is certainly better than Jerry Tillery, Dre'Mont Jones, and Gerald Willis, but not so much more that I'm willing to give up a chance to add another player later on.  The Vikings need more bullets in the chamber than they currently have.  If they already had 10 picks or so, maybe I'd consider it.  But, they only have 8 and too many depth needs at other positions to warrant a trade up in the 1st.  

I'll preface this by saying I'm not at all up to speed on this year's draft class, but in checking in on some of Tyree Jackson's tape this morning, I got to say that this kids needs to be on the Vikings radar.

Loads of potential to mined there that extends far beyond his incredible combine.

Predictions for our first pick at #18...

Daniel Jeremiah of NFL.com

The predicted first-round pick: Devin Bush, LB, Michigan

Bush is a three-down linebacker with outstanding playmaking skills and leadership ability.

Matt Miller of Bleacher Report

The predicted pick: Cody Ford, T/G, Oklahoma

The Minnesota Vikings have to go into the 2019 offseason determined to improve the offensive line. With Oklahoma starting right tackle Cody Ford available at No. 18, he would be a no-brainer solution for general manager Rick Spielman. Ford, who some think might move inside to guard, was a powerful and athletic right tackle in both the run and pass game at Oklahoma. At 6-foot-4 and 329 pounds, he has the ideal build for the right side. At the combine, he showed he has the agility and technique to come in and lock down either the right guard or right tackle spot to keep Kirk Cousins clean.

Luke Easterling of DraftWire 

The predicted first-round pick: Cody Ford, T/G, Oklahoma

This team has some dangerous offensive weapons and a capable quarterback, but the protection has to improve across the board. Ford has the size, athleticism and physicality to be an instant upgrade at either tackle spot, allowing the Vikings to check at least one offensive line position off their offseason list.

Jake Rill of SB Nation

The predicted pick: Andre Dillard, T/G, Washington State

Vinnie Iyer of The Sporting News

The predicted pick: Jonah Williams, T/G, Alabama

The Vikings need offensive line help for the sakes of both Kirk Cousins and Dalvin Cook. Dillard being taken off the board earlier helps their cause. Williams is a strong pass protector who also is big enough (6-4, 302 pounds) to pave the way in the running game.

Doug Farrar of Touchdown Wire

The predicted pick: Greg Little, T, Mississippi

Whether or not the Vikings will ever get a reasonable return on the Kirk Cousins investment is a matter of some debate, but one thing’s for sure — it’ll never happen if Cousins has to bail water behind the kind of offensive line he played behind in 2018. Little has the quickness and agility to improve Cousins’ blindside protection right away, and over time, he could develop into an estimable power-blocker as well.

Peter Schrager of NFL.com

The predicted first-round pick: Jonah Williams, T/G, Alabama

The Vikings will address the offensive line in the draft (likely multiple times) and in free agency. Williams is considered "undersized" at 302 pounds, but has wonderful technique. He'd be an immediate starter in Minnesota.

Bucky Brooks of NFL.com

The predicted first-round pick: Greg Little, T, Mississippi

The Vikings have to beef up the offensive line to help Kirk Cousins improve his play from the pocket. Little is a rock-solid edge blocker with Day 1-starter potential.

Chad Reuter of NFL.com 

The predicted first-round pick: Christian Wilkins, DT, Clemson

Wilkins really should go higher, as he is an athletic player with scheme versatility — and has the sort of positive character every team wants in a first-round pick. We'll see if a strong combine forces teams to ignore other roster needs to bring him in.

CBS Sports’ Ryan Wilson

The predicted pick: Garrett Bradbury, C/G, North Carolina State

Bradbury is another player who had a great week in Indy. He ran a 4.93 40 — he's a center! — and he was already the best interior lineman in the class. The Vikings need to do a much better job protecting Kirk Cousins, and that starts with Bradbury.

CBS Sports’ R.J. White

It's an offensive line run in the middle of the first round. There could be as many as seven O-linemen taken in the first round, as a surprisingly deep class meets a clear need around the league. Ford's best fit might be at guard, but whether he plays inside or at right tackle, he'll be a much needed reinforcement for Minnesota.

CBS Sports’ Jared Dubin

The Vikings very badly need to address their offensive line issues, which undermined their entire season last year. Slotting Ford in up front starts that process.

CBS Sports’ Will Brinson

The predicted pick: Andre Dillard, T/G, Washington State

It's hard to project anything OTHER than an offensive lineman for the Vikings, considering the struggles they had last year protecting Kirk Cousins.

CBS Sports’ Pete Prisco

The predicted pick: Chris Lindstrom, C/G, Boston College

They have to get better inside. Lindstrom is a tough guy who will help amp up their running game with Dalvin Cook.

https://www.vikings.com/news/mock-madness-4-0-1st-round-predictions-for-vikings-after-the-combine?sf208984982=1

3 minutes ago, NoDakViking said:

If we pick Dillard, do we try swing Reiff for a mid rounder?

It depends on if we get a guard or two in free agency or 2nd/3rd round. We would still have two holes at guard if we drafted Dillard and traded Reiff.

10 hours ago, NoDakViking said:

If we pick Dillard, do we try swing Reiff for a mid rounder?

At this point, not sure Reiff would even draw a mid round pick. Osemele and a 6th was just traded for a 5th. Osemele is probably a better lineman, and his contract is probably what made his trade value a 5th. I think that’s close to Reiff’s ceiling as far as trades go.