Jump to content
swede700

2019 Draft Talk

Recommended Posts

I personally love this draft I just did on TDN.

https://thedraftnetwork.com/mockdraft/BNrpPuU99T

18.  iOL Garrett Bradbury (NC St)

50. iDL Jeffery Simmons (Miss St)

81. OT Michael Deiter (Wisconsin)

120. TE Kahale Warring (SD St)  - Can't beat a guy named Warring playing for the Vikings.

190. LB Ben Burr-Kirven (Washington) - Would be a ST demon

209. WR Cody Thompson (Toledo)

247. DE Byron Cowart (Maryland)

250. QB Ryan Finley (NC St)

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, swede700 said:

I personally love this draft I just did on TDN.

https://thedraftnetwork.com/mockdraft/BNrpPuU99T

18.  iOL Garrett Bradbury (NC St)

50. iDL Jeffery Simmons (Miss St)

81. OT Michael Deiter (Wisconsin)

120. TE Kahale Warring (SD St)  - Can't beat a guy named Warring playing for the Vikings.

190. LB Ben Burr-Kirven (Washington) - Would be a ST demon

209. WR Cody Thompson (Toledo)

247. DE Byron Cowart (Maryland)

250. QB Ryan Finley (NC St)

 

 

 

 

I ended up with:

18: Cody Ford IOL
50: Greg Little OT
81: Trayvon Mullen CB
120: Antoine Wesley WR
190: Malik Carney EDGE
209: Mike Weber RB
247: Jonathan Ledbetter EDGE
250: Khalil Hodge LB

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, Ozzy said:

I agree with you and I do not think Reiff could switch to guard, but it is true that tackles switch to guard in the college to NFL transition all the time.  Zach Martin, Brandon Scherff, Kelechi Osemele, Forrest Lamp, Marshal Yanda, Jeff Allen, Cameron Erving, Alex Boone, DJ Fluker, Andrus Peat, John Jerry and others all were tackles in college and transitioned to guard at the next level.  Some guys do switch into guard after struggling at tackle but yeah Reiff is a little far along in his career to make the switch possibly. 

 

Was gonna say that Iowa OT's tend to be decent to good OG's 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, swede700 said:

I personally love this draft I just did on TDN.

https://thedraftnetwork.com/mockdraft/BNrpPuU99T

18.  iOL Garrett Bradbury (NC St)

50. iDL Jeffery Simmons (Miss St)

81. OT Michael Deiter (Wisconsin)

120. TE Kahale Warring (SD St)  - Can't beat a guy named Warring playing for the Vikings.

190. LB Ben Burr-Kirven (Washington) - Would be a ST demon

209. WR Cody Thompson (Toledo)

247. DE Byron Cowart (Maryland)

250. QB Ryan Finley (NC St)

 

 

 

 

What kind of fool has Ryan Finley a 7th round draft pick?  The kid is a stud and has a great mind for the game and is a fine competitor and leader, he should be gone in rounds 2 or 3.  I do know that many Viking fans wet dream is probably to have either Deiter or Benzschawel in the middle rounds of the draft.  And sadly as bad as the OL is I would not mind it either but would be nice to get Dru Samia, Nate Herbig, Martez Ivey, Yosuah Nijman, Alex Bars or Michael Jordan among others as well.  

 

Would not hate Bradbury or Simmons but Warring at TE not sure I would want that especially that high of a pick.  Bradbury I still feel is a reach at 18.  Thompson does not make sense either, there are better WRs late rounds than him, and Byron Cowart, outside of his last name the kid is a limited football player I feel as a stand along prospect.    

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
12 hours ago, Ozzy said:

What kind of fool has Ryan Finley a 7th round draft pick?  The kid is a stud and has a great mind for the game and is a fine competitor and leader, he should be gone in rounds 2 or 3.  I do know that many Viking fans wet dream is probably to have either Deiter or Benzschawel in the middle rounds of the draft.  And sadly as bad as the OL is I would not mind it either but would be nice to get Dru Samia, Nate Herbig, Martez Ivey, Yosuah Nijman, Alex Bars or Michael Jordan among others as well.  

 

Would not hate Bradbury or Simmons but Warring at TE not sure I would want that especially that high of a pick.  Bradbury I still feel is a reach at 18.  Thompson does not make sense either, there are better WRs late rounds than him, and Byron Cowart, outside of his last name the kid is a limited football player I feel as a stand along prospect.    

 

Warring and Thompson were the top players available at their position at the time I selected them.  And yes, Cowart is limited as a prospect, but generally they've had success with their mid-to-late round LBs on special teams...and Cowart wouldn't be any different, as far as I'm concerned.  

And actually, I waffled on taking Finley, because I'm not all that high on him.  He's severely limited physically and mentally as a prospect.  I'm not sure he has all that much upside.  

Edited by swede700

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, gopherwrestler said:

 

we aren’t there

Doesn't really mean much if we got all we needed from the combine. Could be a "Harrison Smith" move all over again.

They did meet with Ford at the combine.

Edited by RpMc

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Been messing with the draft simulator, this is the first time where I drafted and couldn’t find a OL or DL available that really fits our situation in round 2-3

but..... I actually like it at the end of the day if it would actually work out that way, help the shiny QB. 

18. Jonah Williams OL

50. Deebo Samuel WR

81. Jace Sternberger TE

120. Rodney Anderson RB

190. Nate Herbig OL

209. Michael Dogbe IDL

247. Greg Dortch WR

250. Mitch Hyatt OL

 

now this wouldn’t be an A+ type situation in my mind, but it does attack to try and help the offense. 

 

I also find it very unrealistic with Zimmer as our HC we don’t try a little more on the defensive side of the ball but going into the season with 

Cook/Anderson/Boone

Diggs/Thielen/Samuel/Treadwell/Dortch

Rudolpjh/Morgan/Sternberger/Conklin

Reiff/Easton?/Elfein/Williams/O’Neill

and Herbig, Hyatt, Hill, & Isidora

our offense is better....

 

like I said this isn’t optimal but I wouldn’t hate it

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, gopherwrestler said:

 

we aren’t there

The Vikings are there, it's just not the OL coaches that are there.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, gopherwrestler said:

 

TJ Edwards would be a name to watch

 

oh, and him, late round LB

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, swede700 said:

Warring and Thompson were the top players available at their position at the time I selected them.  And yes, Cowart is limited as a prospect, but generally they've had success with their mid-to-late round LBs on special teams...and Cowart wouldn't be any different, as far as I'm concerned.  

And actually, I waffled on taking Finley, because I'm not all that high on him.  He's severely limited physically and mentally as a prospect.  I'm not sure he has all that much upside.  

What this is some fantasy football like draft selection with pre rated players?  Odd.

 

Anyway with Finley, the guy has two masters out of NC State and has improved as a QB every year he has been in college.  Limited mentally, I do not think so.  Kid has a good enough arm and is more than a good enough competitor and a leader.  He will be gone in rounds 2nd or 3rd I feel.  Worst case 4th but with how much he can handle and how bright he is, I bet he is picked up sooner rather than later.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Quote

 

I mentioned it briefly before but beyond the natural football talent, [Christian] Wilkins is a 5-star person as much as he is a former 5-star recruit. He's been praised unanimously by his teammates and coaching staff for who he is on and off the field.  

"I try to be a person of excellence in everything I do, but I wouldn't be playing the game if I didn't absolutely love it," Wilkins said. "Every time I step on a field, I still have an 8-year-old's innocence about it. I love putting thigh pads in my pants and pulling them on. This game has been a ticket for me, and I'm truly in love with it. Yeah, I care about a lot of things but I realize football is going to end for me one day. That's why I try to be diverse in other areas."

Shooting gaps is an art. As an interior defensive lineman, most of the time you're a giant 6-foot-something, 300-something pounder who is there to eat space in the middle and deal with as many bodies as you can. 

Wilkins knows how to shoot a gap. He understand's both angles and leverage when lining up in between offensive linemen, and can so easily attack weak points with a great first step off the snap.

To be honest, I see a lot of Gerald McCoy in Christian Wilkins.

2

https://thedraftnetwork.com/articles/5-play-prospect--clemson-idl-christian-wilkins

As much as we talk about them drafting OL help in the 1st round (which is extremely likely), I wouldn't be surprised to see this be the guy either, though.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, swede700 said:

https://thedraftnetwork.com/articles/5-play-prospect--clemson-idl-christian-wilkins

As much as we talk about them drafting OL help in the 1st round (which is extremely likely), I wouldn't be surprised to see this be the guy either, though.  

I don't think I'd be upset with this pick, it would depend on what OL are available.

However, I think I'd rather take the chance that Simmons falls to 2.50 and select BPA-OL at 1.18.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.



×