2019 Draft Talk

swede700

11 hours ago, vikestyle said:

I think that would depend. Are we trading back to take him? Then we probably wouldn't have much of a choice; we'd have to move Reiff inside. If we took an IOL at 18 then traded up into the end of the first for Little we'd probably redshirt him.

I think that the talk of Reiff to guard is all smoke. Maybe I am wrong, but if the Viking took a guy like Dillard, Taylor, Williams, Little, etc. wouldn't it be more likely that the rookie played at IOL in their first year and transition out to OT if the Vikes cut ties with Reiff? I am trying to think of examples where this has happened in the NFL, but i am drawing a blank.

8 minutes ago, The_Dude said:

I think that the talk of Reiff to guard is all smoke. Maybe I am wrong, but if the Viking took a guy like Dillard, Taylor, Williams, Little, etc. wouldn't it be more likely that the rookie played at IOL in their first year and transition out to OT if the Vikes cut ties with Reiff? I am trying to think of examples where this has happened in the NFL, but i am drawing a blank.

They could certainly do that.  But, I indicated previously (you probably were not around at the time, as I'm one of the few that are here pretty much every day of the work-week) that I would think it'd be much better for them to just plug in the rookie where he's going to play long-term and move the veteran, because by putting the rookie in at guard with that intention of moving him after the year is kind of dumb as you're basically wasting an entire year of development for him playing him at a position he's not going to play long term.  

• Like 1

Wouldn't the counter argument to that being getting the rookie some game experience in a position that is not quite as imperative for the well being of the QB? The Vikings have also trended towards OLinemen with position flexibility. It seems like these rookies have experience in multiple positions (take that comment with a grain of salt... i am a peripheral draft-nik). And who honestly knows what the plan for Reiff is, as they could intend to keep him around longer than just this year, especially if the development of a rookie at LG helps to improve the overall quality of the line.

I'm not arguing against your take, I am just spitballing. I just think that it would make more sense to have a rookie fill the LG spot rather than a LT who has never played that position on a professional level.

• Like 3

Fair enough...in the end, it doesn't really matter to me, I just think it would be better suited to just play a rookie where you plan to play him long-term...we've seen that shuffling around here for several years now and it's appeared to stunt the development of several players...although, it could just be simply that they suck.  That's certainly a good possibility.  xD

On another note, I just got did this draft on TDN...thoughts?

18.  OT Jonah Williams (Alabama) - I've made it clear that I'm not a big fan, but he was the best OL on the board, so I took him and am willing to give him a chance.

50.  iOL Chris Lindstrom (BC) - This is one of the few times he's been available at #50.

81. iOL Dru Samia (Oklahoma) - May as well just continue to take OL and see which ones stick.

120. iDL Daniel Wise (Kansas)

190. WR Travis Fulgham (Old Dominion)

209. TE Tommy Sweeney (BC)

247. LB Kendall Joseph (Clemson)

250. Edge Kyle Phillips (Tennessee)

• Like 2

1 minute ago, gopherwrestler said:

I’m not sure why everyone is such a fan of some of these late round TE’s while it’s a decent class, Conklin would still be ranked right in there with a lot of these guys..... and we just drafted him.

I'd probably not take a TE unless there is good value in rounds 2 or 3 and can immediately replace Rudolph. Otherwise, you're stuck carrying 4 TEs and to your point, we just took Conklin.

3 minutes ago, vikingsrule said:

I'd probably not take a TE unless there is good value in rounds 2 or 3 and can immediately replace Rudolph. Otherwise, you're stuck carrying 4 TEs and to your point, we just took Conklin.

I'm not sure how a team is "stuck" with 4 TEs.  With Rudolph entering the final season of his contract, it may behoove them to have a plan in place to replace him in 2020, whether it be Morgan, Conklin, or a guy like Sweeney.  Either way, Conklin shouldn't just be guaranteed a spot just because he was drafted by the team in the 5th round a year ago, just as MyCole Pruitt wasn't guaranteed a spot in 2016 when they drafted Morgan.  Pruitt ended up making the team regardless (despite already having Ellison and Rudolph as well), but was cut 3 months later and put on the PS, only to be snatched up by the Bears.  

14 hours ago, vikestyle said:

I think that would depend. Are we trading back to take him? Then we probably wouldn't have much of a choice; we'd have to move Reiff inside. If we took an IOL at 18 then traded up into the end of the first for Little we'd probably redshirt him.

No. We'd take an OL at 18 and then trade back up to try and grab a falling OL we liked.

• Like 1

On 3/21/2019 at 10:06 AM, VikeManDan said:

Do we want to start up the Vikings annual 1st round mock? We're 35 days away from round 1 kicking off.

Can you edit a poll so as to have 1 ongoing thread for this or would each pick need to be a separate thread?