2019 Draft Talk

swede700

2 minutes ago, vikestyle said:

Okay. In that scenario if the lineman that was falling was Little then I think he'd redshirt.

I disagree.

Scenario #1: Bradbury is the selection and we trade up for Little

Little-Reiff-Bradbury-Elf-O'Neill is probably better than Little on the bench.

Scenario #2: Lindstrom is the selection and we trade up for Little

Little-Reiff-Elf-Lindstrom-O'Neill is probably better than Little on the bench.

12 minutes ago, VikeManDan said:

I disagree.

Scenario #1: Bradbury is the selection and we trade up for Little

Little-Reiff-Bradbury-Elf-O'Neill is probably better than Little on the bench.

Scenario #2: Lindstrom is the selection and we trade up for Little

Little-Reiff-Elf-Lindstrom-O'Neill is probably better than Little on the bench.

Could definitely see that, but I think it would come down to if they think Reiff is a better guard than Kline. Could easily see Kline on the right with Lindstrom or Elflein on the left and Little sitting in your scenario.

I have less interest in Little than I do Jonah Williams, because while I hear that he has tremendous physical skills, there's been a lot of questions about his effort and his technique. So, if you have poor technique and then you add to that, a lack of work ethic, that doesn't bode well for you no matter how gifted you are physically.

Just now, vikestyle said:

Could definitely see that, but I think it would come down to if they think Reiff is a better guard than Kline. Could easily see Kline on the right with Lindstrom or Elflein on the left and Little sitting in your scenario.

Fair point, I admittedly already forgot about the Kline signing.

@swede700 and I have the same mindset. If, for example, Lindstrom is going to the RGoTF than he should play RG immediately. No sense in having him start on the left side only to move over to the right side when Kline would leave.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, swede700 said:

I have less interest in Little than I do Jonah Williams, because while I hear that he has tremendous physical skills, there's been a lot of questions about his effort and his technique. So, if you have poor technique and then you add to that, a lack of work ethic, that doesn't bode well for you no matter how gifted you are physically.

I don't disagree, Little was just the example given.

10 hours ago, swede700 said:

I still don't get your distaste for Williams. What makes you dislike him so much?

As for Little, what if he was sitting there at our second round pick after we go IOL in the first? Big time talent is worth a gamble at that point imo. Especially if it's on a potential long term answer at LT. I'd be very happy with a Bryant McKinnie type of player right now.

1 hour ago, vikestyle said:

I still don't get your distaste for Williams. What makes you dislike him so much?

As for Little, what if he was sitting there at our second round pick after we go IOL in the first? Big time talent is worth a gamble at that point imo. Especially if it's on a potential long term answer at LT. I'd be very happy with a Bryant McKinnie type of player right now.

Given the depth of OL and DL, as well as WR . . . why would you gamble with your 2nd Rd pick?  True, every single pick is some level of a gamble.  This isn't a situation where we go with an Erasmus James or Underwood style pick.   Believe in the metrics and the tape.  If the NFL standard is you need a laterally quick guy to play OT, and he has to bench 225 26 times and run a 5.1782 second 40 to have a chance at being a successful tackle . . . why pick a 5.3 second guy that benches few reps?  Especially if his work ethic isn't all there . . . 

I'm all in on Bradbury or Lindstrom with #18.  Would/should the Vikes trade up for another guy they need?  Sure, say Williams slides to 26 and the Colts want Waynes . . . say the Vikes already have Bradbury (who I presume to be a LG), would you take Williams . . . or Dexter Lawrence if he were available?  I'd personally hope they keep Waynes (he's good), but that kind of offer for a behemoth like Lawrence?  Plus ya still have your other picks?  Shoot . . . I'd be dancing a jig.

Normally, I'm all for trading back and adding more players. However, this year Vikings need to try and be aggressive in the draft . With limited cap space but a lot of the core locked up in their prime. Vikings have to find eventual starters especially one for the OLine. So much stuff went wrong last year and yet the Vikings were 8-7-1 but feels like they were 4-12. I do like Williams at OG

Edited by dc_vikingfan