2019 Draft Talk

swede700

I don't think the Vikings should commit to a given position group when they are on the clock, especially in the 1st round. If there is a run on offensive linemen before they pick at 18 odds are a superior talent at another position falls. If all of Williams, Taylor, Dillard, Bradbury, maybe even Ford are gone, then sprint to the podium and pick Oliver, Wilkins, Allen, or White instead of over drafting someone like McCoy or Lindstrom when a comparable lineman almost certainly will be available in round 2. Taking BPA gives a team a better opportunity to draft multiple starters. The goal should be to upgrade the roster, not simply one position or position group. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, DisplacedViking said:

I don't think the Vikings should commit to a given position group when they are on the clock, especially in the 1st round. If there is a run on offensive linemen before they pick at 18 odds are a superior talent at another position falls. If all of Williams, Taylor, Dillard, Bradbury, maybe even Ford are gone, then sprint to the podium and pick Oliver, Wilkins, Allen, or White instead of over drafting someone like McCoy or Lindstrom when a comparable lineman almost certainly will be available in round 2. Taking BPA gives a team a better opportunity to draft multiple starters. The goal should be to upgrade the roster, not simply one position or position group. 

I agree with this attitude but the other key component to to the recipe is making sure you have reasonable starters at all positions before the draft commences. I have always adamantly believed in having competent starters at all positions before the draft and then drafting the best available player at a position of imminent need. That is, at a position that doesn't have a solid starter signed for at least the next two years.

For example, the Vikings just signed Barr and Kendricks in the last two years. It hard to imagine the Vikings can reasonably move on from them this year or next year. As such, LB is not a position of imminent need and I would not consider it for inclusion in the BPA consideration.

A notable exception would be QB. The team should not pass up on a guy they would otherwise pick no matter what at QB if they do not already have an elite QB.

Failure to secure reasonable starters at all of the starting 22 positions on offense and defense before the draft would be a huge indictment on competency of the general manager.

4 hours ago, DisplacedViking said:

Excellent points all. I personally wouldn't take a TE, QB, CB, RB, or any LB not named Devin White in the 1st. I just think White is good enough (FAST!) to use more 3 lb sets than last year. The nickel gave up too many rushing yards. 

Definite no to Fant and/or Hockensen?  Those are 2 that I would be fine with if not OL

I guess never say never, but picking at 18 makes me think either a top tier DT or OL player will be available. And I think both of those needs are greater than TE. I also don't think there's as much of a drop off in talent between the two TEs from Iowa and the next best 4 or 5 guys. I know I would rather have Irv Smith at 50 than taking a fighting Iowegian in the 1st!

Depends on the player. If they’re going to improve your run and passing game, the positional value is absolutely there. 

Now, there’s a lot of good tight ends in this draft (all different flavors too), so you can likely afford to wait to address the position. 

• Like 2

On 3/22/2019 at 11:30 PM, vikestyle said:

I still don't get your distaste for Williams. What makes you dislike him so much?

I think I've made it clear that I don't like his pro potential.  He may be okay, but there's nothing about him that strikes me as a guy I want to take in the first round...especially when they talk about him as a "technician."  That's code word for "he's not physical."  I want a guy with attitude and who is physical...not a "technician."  This offensive line needs guys with attitude.  

2 minutes ago, swede700 said:

I think I've made it clear that I don't like his pro potential.  He may be okay, but there's nothing about him that strikes me as a guy I want to take in the first round...especially when they talk about him as a "technician."  That's code word for "he's not physical."  I want a guy with attitude and who is physical...not a "technician."  This offensive line needs guys with attitude.  

This tells me that you haven’t actually watched Williams play. 

11 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

This tells me that you haven’t actually watched Williams play. 

I have to base most of my opinions based on what others say because I don't watch a lot of college football.  So, yes, take it for what it's worth, which is little...but when I read from scouting report to scouting report from different individuals and see the same opinion, I tend to believe it.  I have to prioritize what I watch, because I have a job, a house, a wife and a dog (my children are both adults now), so I prioritize watching the Vikings, along with other Minnesota teams (when they're on here).  Watching Alabama football is not high on my list.      

Edited by swede700

Usually I have a mock draft or two out by now, this year I have 0.

This has to be the most wide open year all around, not only with just the Vikings, but all around the league in the first round. I’ve literally started going and torn up the idea multiple times. 

This year is going to be fun to sit back and enjoy the frustrations of people all over the site.

I’ve never seen a year where there had been this much variety in the early rounds. The arguments that have been made from draft experts all over on certain players.

almost every single position outside of Edge and DT doesn’t have a single solidified #1 guy, and almost every position has about 3-4 #2 guys depending on the evaluator.

this is going to be a fun month.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, swede700 said:

This is an honest question as I'm not sure if I am right about this, but doesn't a ZBS cater more to technicians and a power run scheme caters to the big, physical, road grader types? I thought that was the reason a guy like Hernandez wasn't necessarily a fit for us last year.