Jump to content
swede700

2019 Draft Talk

Recommended Posts

1 minute ago, Leader said:

I tend to agree. I also tend to think he's not gonna get to 12.

Part of me wonders where his obvious fit is.  Arizona clearly isn't taking him, and San Francisco is already pretty crowded along the DL.  I think the only DL they'd consider is Quinnen Williams, and he's the clearest fit and value there.  New York at 3 seems more interested in an EDGE, but I think they could opt WR/OL if they don't trade down.  Oakland is possibly the first real possibility.  Tampa Bay could take him if they're moving on from Gerald McCoy, but they haven't done it yet so that's why I'd hesitate putting him there.  Giants are going with a defensive player at 6 IMO.  Think they're more in on EDGE than DT, but could be there.  Jacksonville seems OT/WR/TE here.   Outside chance they take Haskins here.  Detroit at 8 is going DL, which is where I wouldn't be surprised if they pissed everyone off and took Oliver.  Buffalo is a wild card, and I don't really have a strong feel on them. I think Denver wants Devin White, but they could "settle" for Devin Bush.  Cincinnati has changed in recent years, so hard to pinpoint where they'd go.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
16 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

Part of me wonders where his obvious fit is.  Arizona clearly isn't taking him, and San Francisco is already pretty crowded along the DL.  I think the only DL they'd consider is Quinnen Williams, and he's the clearest fit and value there.  New York at 3 seems more interested in an EDGE, but I think they could opt WR/OL if they don't trade down.  Oakland is possibly the first real possibility.  Tampa Bay could take him if they're moving on from Gerald McCoy, but they haven't done it yet so that's why I'd hesitate putting him there.  Giants are going with a defensive player at 6 IMO.  Think they're more in on EDGE than DT, but could be there.  Jacksonville seems OT/WR/TE here.   Outside chance they take Haskins here.  Detroit at 8 is going DL, which is where I wouldn't be surprised if they pissed everyone off and took Oliver.  Buffalo is a wild card, and I don't really have a strong feel on them. I think Denver wants Devin White, but they could "settle" for Devin Bush.  Cincinnati has changed in recent years, so hard to pinpoint where they'd go.

You nailed it. It's anybody's guess at this juncture - but - given his college production (the only "hits" seem to be his size and level of comp) - plus his "He's not human" workouts - I'm just thinking SOMEBODY's gonna grab this guy before we get a shot at him. Hence, he's on my radar screen - but a distant blip (cause I just dont think its gonna happen). As for his fit? No clue. Others here (and on the net) have spoken of his versatility up and down the line - and I'll ride their judgements. If he's Pettine's cup of tea......no clue.

Just listened to a podcast where Burns was described as a "QB hunter" - which works for me. It was pointed out that Z's best work comes against Guards and Centers - that Preston is actually a better EDGE guy than Z - so we nab Burns - a BIG, fast, son of a ^^^^^ to come in and just wreak havoc. Move Z inside - or not - and let Burns move the QB off his spot into the others - or get him. It could fill out/complete our DL package real well. If Oliver's gone (as I suspect) I hope we take Burns. I'd like to see that front DL package elevated further and do some work this year.

Edited by Leader

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Leader said:

You nailed it.
It's anybody's guess at this juncture - but - given his college production (the only "hits" seem to be his size and level of comp) - plus his "He's not human" workouts - I'm just thinking SOMEBODY's gonna grab this guy before we get a shot at him. Hence, he's on my radar screen - but a distant blip (cause I just dont think its gonna happen). As for his fit? No clue. Others here (and on the net) have spoken of his versatility up and down the line - and I'll ride their judgements. If he's Pettine's cup of tea......no clue.

Trust me, I'm right there with you.  Someone's going to take him before we get the opportunity to do so.  Interior pass rush is at a premium these days, and we haven't had an interior pass rusher come up like this.  Especially with a guy whose got the numbers to match the testing.

3 minutes ago, Leader said:

Just listened to a podcast where Burns was described as a "QB hunter" - which works for me. It was pointed out that Z's best work comes against Guards and Centers - that Preston is actually a better EDGE guy than Z - so we nab Burns - a BIG, fast, son of a ^^^^^ to come in and just wreak havoc. Move the QB off his spot into the others. It could fill out/complete our DL package real well. If Oliver's gone (as I suspect) I hope we take Burns. I'd like to see that front DL package do some work this year.

I mean, the question with Burns is how much can he develop his game from college.  He won by beating the outside shoulder of the tackle in college.  He's playing against significantly more athletic OTs in the NFL.  Can he consistently turn speed into power?  Can he beat an OT inside?  Generally speaking, I prefer twitchy pass rushers to power rushers, but that might just be me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

Trust me, I'm right there with you.  Someone's going to take him before we get the opportunity to do so.  Interior pass rush is at a premium these days, and we haven't had an interior pass rusher come up like this.  Especially with a guy whose got the numbers to match the testing.

I mean, the question with Burns is how much can he develop his game from college.  He won by beating the outside shoulder of the tackle in college.  He's playing against significantly more athletic OTs in the NFL.  Can he consistently turn speed into power?  Can he beat an OT inside?  Generally speaking, I prefer twitchy pass rushers to power rushers, but that might just be me.

You've probably watched more tape of all these guys than I - but I consider a guy like Ferrell a power guy. Moreso than Burns.

Is (or would) Burns be CM or Dee Ford or Peppers or whomever else we could think of coming straight out of college? Probably not and I'm not putting that on him. But - it sounds like he's got some superior skills to work with. A versatile game - coming forward - or dropping back. Listen....I just like what I think he could deliver. Is he the only guy that could? Probably not - but he's ranked at the top (by alot more people than me......) for a reason.

Edited by Leader

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Leader said:

You've probably watched more tape of all these guys than I - but I consider a guy like Ferrell a power guy. Moreso than Burns.

Is (or would) Burns be CM or Dee Ford or Peppers or whomever else we could think of coming straight out of college? Probably not and I'm not putting that on him. But - it sounds like he's got some superior skills to work with. A versatile game - coming forward - or dropping back. Listen....I just like what I think he could deliver. Is he the only guy that could? Probably not - but he's ranked at the top (by alot more people than me......) for a reason.

Part of the appeal of Burns is that he's a different mold than what we currently have.  Za'Darius and Preston are more of the physical EDGE.  Burns is more twitchy.  But the usual profile of Pettine pass rusher has been more of a power rusher.  The last "twitchy" pass rusher Pettine had was Jerry Hughes back in Buffalo.  IF we take an EDGE at 12, it's going to be apparent whether or not Pettine's mold is firm or if it's flexible.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, CWood21 said:

Part of the appeal of Burns is that he's a different mold than what we currently have.  Za'Darius and Preston are more of the physical EDGE.  Burns is more twitchy.  But the usual profile of Pettine pass rusher has been more of a power rusher.  The last "twitchy" pass rusher Pettine had was Jerry Hughes back in Buffalo.  IF we take an EDGE at 12, it's going to be apparent whether or not Pettine's mold is firm or if it's flexible.

Agree and already applied "cautionary notes" to the Burns at 12 concept. Hey listen - if Vegas was gonna lay odds on who will be GBs first round selection - they'd put out my take - cause based on history, anybody taking my recommendation /putting money down - would be donating to the house.  :)

But - to supply some subliminal reinforcement to what feels good for me to think......

Because Z and Preston are more the physical EDGE guy - you break the mold and get us that BIG, fast, burner from the outside - which Kyler Fackrell's sack totals not with standing - currently doesnt exist on our roster - and you collapse the middle and close off escape from the outside. We just need the talent to do it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Leader said:

I tend to agree. I also tend to think he's not gonna get to 12.

I do see the Packers passing on him, especially since he'd fit far better in a 4-3 as a DT than your 3-4 as a DE.  You guys have to make Aaron happy, so they're likely going to go offense (TE/OL) in some manner, unless they go with a guy like Burns (if available), Gary or Sweat.  And if Oliver doesn't go in the top 5, he ain't going in the top 12.  His perfect fit is in Atlanta.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Have the Vikes in a GM mock and made this trade 

18 and 81

for

25, 57 and 138

And took Bradbury at 25. Thoughts?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Counselor said:

Have the Vikes in a GM mock and made this trade 

18 and 81

for

25, 57 and 138

And took Bradbury at 25. Thoughts?

Value of the trade looks good, and getting IOL still at 25 would be great. I'm sure Spielman in real life would like to be able to make that move and get his extra picks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, Counselor said:

Have the Vikes in a GM mock and made this trade 

18 and 81

for

25, 57 and 138

And took Bradbury at 25. Thoughts?

That would be awesome, nice work!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Is there a running Top 30 list going?  And does anyone know when the full day is?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Pulled off this mock on TDN Mock Draft Simulator and I think I'd take it in a heartbeat.   Thoughts?

18 Cody Ford, IOL

50 Irv Smith Jr. , TE

81Dru Samia, IOL

120 Justin Hollins , EDGE

190 Devine Ozigbo , RB

209 Gary Jennings Jr., WR

247 Mitch Hyatt, OT

250 Austin Bryant, EDGE

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, NoDakViking said:

Pulled off this mock on TDN Mock Draft Simulator and I think I'd take it in a heartbeat.   Thoughts?

18 Cody Ford, IOL

50 Irv Smith Jr. , TE

81Dru Samia, IOL

120 Justin Hollins , EDGE

190 Devine Ozigbo , RB

209 Gary Jennings Jr., WR

247 Mitch Hyatt, OT

250 Austin Bryant, EDGE

I'd very much enjoy that.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Traded up to pick 37. 

Traded 50,120,209

to the Giants

for 37,245

Coincidence in the mock above me. Based on how these mocks had been going of late he wasn’t going to last to 50.  Went 30 and 40 in the last two GM mocks.

With pick 37 I chose Irv Smith Jr.

I have the following picks left

57,138,190,245,247,250

And so far the Vikings 2019 draft class is...

1.25 Garrett Bradbury C NC State

2.37 Irv Smith Jr. TE Bama

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.



×