2019 Draft Talk

swede700

Just now, Vikes_Bolts1228 said:

Situation: Vikings are on the clock at 18. There's no worthwhile offensive linemen. There's a top receiving tight end or two left on the board.

Do you grab the tight end or try and trade back?

If the TE is Hockenson (assuming he declares), I run up with his name on the card, and cackle as I run back to my seat.  He impacts the pass and run game. Then, I look to make some moves up and around the next two rounds to secure some offensive lineman or a DT.

1 hour ago, RpMc said:

If the TE is Hockenson (assuming he declares), I run up with his name on the card, and cackle as I run back to my seat.  He impacts the pass and run game. Then, I look to make some moves up and around the next two rounds to secure some offensive lineman or a DT.

Were going to keep seeming him rise and rise up the boards and I’m all here for it.

2 hours ago, gopherwrestler said:

Were going to keep seeming him rise and rise up the boards and I’m all here for it.

My Jockey's get a little tight in the crotch area thinking about having an elite pass catching TE who can run and break more tackles on one play then Rudy had in 8 seasons. So about 2.

15 hours ago, Vikes_Bolts1228 said:

Situation: Vikings are on the clock at 18. There's no worthwhile offensive linemen. There's a top receiving tight end or two left on the board.

Do you grab the tight end or try and trade back?

Take whatever OL you think is a starter. There will be starters. 

6 minutes ago, PrplChilPill said:

Take whatever OL you think is a starter. There will be starters. 

And what if you don't think they are a starter? 

Receiver 3 is a definite need, whether that be a TE or WR. I'd love to get a big TE that is a matchup nightmare who can also block. Seems like Rudolph is fairly easy to cover, has no YAC ability and struggles as a blocker. 

If not OL or TE, I think this team needs another impact pass rusher, whether that be at DE or DT. Griffen, Weatherly and Richardsom are okay, but we could really use another player who can push 10-12 sacks per year. Maybe Griffen will return to that level of play.

Another DB or LB would be a mistake in round one, even if Barr walks. Just don't see the value in a round one off ball LB. Wouldn't touch a WR in round one either.

Just now, SteelKing728 said:

You trade back though and maximize your value first.

I don’t disagree but it would depend on how far back. I’d love to trade back a few spots depending on the board. Always takes two to tango though. 

Again, the more non-trench positions that go ahead of 18 the better. 

5 hours ago, vikingsrule said:

And what if you don't think they are a starter? 

Receiver 3 is a definite need, whether that be a TE or WR. I'd love to get a big TE that is a matchup nightmare who can also block. Seems like Rudolph is fairly easy to cover, has no YAC ability and struggles as a blocker. 

If not OL or TE, I think this team needs another impact pass rusher, whether that be at DE or DT. Griffen, Weatherly and Richardsom are okay, but we could really use another player who can push 10-12 sacks per year. Maybe Griffen will return to that level of play.

Another DB or LB would be a mistake in round one, even if Barr walks. Just don't see the value in a round one off ball LB. Wouldn't touch a WR in round one either.

Has there every been a draft where no OL past pick 18 was a starter? 

1 minute ago, PrplChilPill said:

Has there every been a draft where no OL past pick 18 was a starter? 

No, but is it worth it to pick them at 18, if you don't value them there and have other players, at positions of need (maybe not as desperate a need), that you do value there?

2 minutes ago, RpMc said:

No, but is it worth it to pick them at 18, if you don't value them there and have other players, at positions of need (maybe not as desperate a need), that you do value there?

I'd trade my first for a starting guard for five years...... Wouldn't you? They need two new guards. I value starters, where the team is most weak. This is a super bowl contender, except OL. 

2 minutes ago, PrplChilPill said:

I'd trade my first for a starting guard for five years...... Wouldn't you? They need two new guards. I value starters, where the team is most weak. This is a super bowl contender, except OL. 

No, I wouldn't trade my first for a five year starter; perhaps I'm idealistic, but I want my first round pick to be here longer than that. We have need of starters at other positions as well.  Now, I fully expect there to be OL of matching value at 18, but in the scenario provided by the original poster... I wouldn't force a pick of offensive line if I didn't have value that matched and a player at another position of need did match.

1 minute ago, RpMc said:

No, I wouldn't trade my first for a five year starter; perhaps I'm idealistic, but I want my first round pick to be here longer than that. We have need of starters at other positions as well.  Now, I fully expect there to be OL of matching value at 18, but in the scenario provided by the original poster... I wouldn't force a pick of offensive line if I didn't have value that matched and a player at another position of need did match.

Their contact is for five years. That's all I meant...... Of course you want them longer, but that's a different discussion. 

For fun scenario. The Vikings covet Cody Ford but he goes off the board just before them. The Chargers come calling wanted to grab their QB of the future to groom behind Rivers for a year.  They offer their first (pick 30) and second for our pick 18 (basically a dead even trade on the TVC). Then the fun starts ;)

1 - Dalton Risner [OL] Kansas State

*trade* 40 + 72 for pick 33

2 - Chris Lindstrom [G] Boston College
2 - Isaac Nauta [TE] Georgia
4 - Gerald Willis [DT] Miami

6, 6, 7, 7 left to play with

Potential offensive line combos...

Reiff
Risner
Elflein
Lindstrom
O'Neill

or

O'Neill
Reiff
Elflein
Lindstrom
Risner

I forgot how much I enjoy the fun that is draft season.

Archived