2019 Draft Talk

swede700

1 minute ago, vikestyle said:

Yes but you run the risk of missing out on them too. The Seahawks and Texans draft 3 and 5 picks behind us, so if you trade back past that we could get ourselves in trouble if we are aiming for and OL.

Absolutely you could, or you move a pick with them, and know who they are targeting.

Just now, gopherwrestler said:

Absolutely you could, or you move a pick with them, and know who they are targeting.

And what it comes down to is if there's someone we'd be comfortable taking at #23 or wherever we'd trade back to, we're probably just going to take them at #18 making this all a moot point. Picking up an extra 4th rounder isn't worth it if we have a guy we like in mind at #18. I know all this is common sense, but let's pretend I'm saying something groundbreaking here.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, gopherwrestler said:

Ok but if you even move back a couple spots and can net the same player....... you gained value

Yes, but I'm arguing that there is a good chance that the players we target as interior offensive lineman...that can come in and produce competently from day one...might possibly be taken already before the Vikings card is handed to the commish!

13 minutes ago, Virginia Viking said:

Yes, but I'm arguing that there is a good chance that the players we target as interior offensive lineman...that can come in and produce competently from day one...might possibly be taken already before the Vikings card is handed to the commish!

I'd be very surprised if *Dillard, Taylor, Ford, Williams, Lindstrom, Bradbury, and Risner were all off the board at pick 18. I actually think we're in the sweet spot to grab our pick of the last 3.

Edited by VikeManDan
*Forgot Dillard
  • Like 3

The combine may have actually helped us. I feel like Montez Sweat, D.K. Metcalf, and Devin White all pushed themselves up the board to be taken before our pick (White was already there anyway, but he pushed himself up even further). This will hopefully help push an OL down the board. Dillard, Taylor, and Jonah Williams (if teams were satisfied with his arm length) helped themselves. Little seemed to get knocked down a bit.

If the only OL off the board when we're up at #18 are Williams, Dillard, Taylor, and even Ford, I'm more than happy to take Bradbury, Risner, or Lindstrom. Or maybe even Little.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, vikestyle said:

The combine may have actually helped us. I feel like Montez Sweat, D.K. Metcalf, and Devin White all pushed themselves up the board to be taken before our pick (White was already there anyway, but he pushed himself up even further). This will hopefully help push an OL down the board. Dillard, Taylor, and Jonah Williams (if teams were satisfied with his arm length) helped themselves. Little seemed to get knocked down a bit.

If the only OL off the board when we're up at #18 are Williams, Dillard, Taylor, and even Ford, I'm more than happy to take Bradbury, Risner, or Lindstrom. Or maybe even Little.

Yeah Sweat for sure moved up and Metcalf did even though on the field he is not a 1st round pick but athletically he is.  And I agree with those guys who could be around.  

The OL picks I think start at 9, before that would be too high for any of them arguably.

Buffalo Bills almost have to take OL at #9 so Taylor or Jonah Williams possibly.  

Broncos could take OL at 10 with interior but could go elsewhere.  

Bengals really need OL help at 11 as well so there is another gone for sure possibly.  

Dolphins at 13 maybe go QB but if not OL would make sense as well.  

Falcons could go OL at 14 or DL/DB

Washington might totally go QB with Drew Lock so OL is possibly out for them at 15

Carolina at 16 is rough on the OL so that is totally an option for them as well.  

Cleveland at 17 OL is a huge possibility but apparently they do like some of the young linemen they have.

With the good performances by Lindstrom and Bardbury at the combine does help and provide more options at 18 if some guys are gone.  But realistically 4 out of the 8 picks 9-17 really need OL help.  I would not mind Greg Little at all, some dislike how he moved but kid is very smooth in pass protection regardless of his athletic numbers, he knows how to stay infront of a DL.

Jawaan Taylor Florida JR
Jonah Williams Alabama JR
Andre Dillard Washington State
Dalton Risner Kansas State RS
Greg Little Ole Miss JR
Cody Ford Oklahoma RS JR
Chris Lindstrom Boston College
Garrett Bradbury NC State
Connor McGovern Penn State JR

Dillard would be great, Risner is the ideal, would love to see Williams fall but Little or Ford seem more likely, would not mind either one but would like Little more, Ford is a liability in pass pro but might be a guard switch, would not mind Lindstrom either but might be a little high for him.  Will be interesting what happens, there are arguably five 1st round level OL available, the rest would be some what of a reach.  

Edited by Ozzy

I’ve seen a lot of hype around Bradbury recently, some even are suggesting taking him at #18. I wouldn’t hate it, but I think there will be much better value there at a different position. I’m all for taking oline, but not if the value isn’t there. If we can get a player like Sweat, White, or Oliver I’d rather go that route. If we reach for an OL it will end up like the Treadwell pick ended up. We should have at least one 3rd next year as a comp pick from losing Barr & Sheldon potentially. So knowing that, we could use maybe a future pick in a trade back into the tail end of round 1 or high 2nd. I think we can probably rule out trading up from 18 as I don’t see a guy at this point that would be worth forfeiting future assets to jump up for. But say we take Dillard at 18. Then see a guy like Christian Wilkins slipping, I’d like to see them be aggresive to secure another probable starter. 

How to guess what's going to transpire the next 50 days or so . . . lol.  After the combine, it's really interesting to see the top 10 or 15.  I don't agree that Murray is the best guy in this draft, but there's a hype-train leading me to believe he'll be selected in the top 10, along with Haskins.  So, there's 2.  Then, there's the edge guys:  Bosa, Ferrell, Gary, Allen, and Sweat . . . So, 5 more off the board.  DTs should cover two slots in Williams and Oliver, maybe Wilkins . . . 3.   OK, so I'm going to 15 . . . 1 WR (Metcalf) and 2 CBs (Williams and Baker) and two OTs (Dillard and Taylor) round out the first 15 selections. Oh shoot, bump the two OTs and insert the two LBs (White and Bush).  

That leaves the Vikes in the 3rd slot with every O-Lineman on the board.  Do I believe the draft will truly fall this way?  Nah, but if 15 picks are made without one O-lineman going, wouldn't it be wise for the Vikes to trade up and get their pick of the litter?

My fear would be Carolina takes Bradbury and Houston trades up with Cleveland to grab Dillard.  Not that Lindstrom, Ford or Williams would be bad consolation prizes, but at that point, trading down might be a wise choice.  

10 hours ago, Ozzy said:

Yeah Sweat for sure moved up and Metcalf did even though on the field he is not a 1st round pick but athletically he is.  And I agree with those guys who could be around.  

The OL picks I think start at 9, before that would be too high for any of them arguably.

Buffalo Bills almost have to take OL at #9 so Taylor or Jonah Williams possibly.  

Broncos could take OL at 10 with interior but could go elsewhere.  

Bengals really need OL help at 11 as well so there is another gone for sure possibly.  

Dolphins at 13 maybe go QB but if not OL would make sense as well.  

Falcons could go OL at 14 or DL/DB

Washington might totally go QB with Drew Lock so OL is possibly out for them at 15

Carolina at 16 is rough on the OL so that is totally an option for them as well.  

Cleveland at 17 OL is a huge possibility but apparently they do like some of the young linemen they have.

With the good performances by Lindstrom and Bardbury at the combine does help and provide more options at 18 if some guys are gone.  But realistically 4 out of the 8 picks 9-17 really need OL help.  I would not mind Greg Little at all, some dislike how he moved but kid is very smooth in pass protection regardless of his athletic numbers, he knows how to stay infront of a DL.

Jawaan Taylor Florida JR
Jonah Williams Alabama JR
Andre Dillard Washington State
Dalton Risner Kansas State RS
Greg Little Ole Miss JR
Cody Ford Oklahoma RS JR
Chris Lindstrom Boston College
Garrett Bradbury NC State
Connor McGovern Penn State JR

Dillard would be great, Risner is the ideal, would love to see Williams fall but Little or Ford seem more likely, would not mind either one but would like Little more, Ford is a liability in pass pro but might be a guard switch, would not mind Lindstrom either but might be a little high for him.  Will be interesting what happens, there are arguably five 1st round level OL available, the rest would be some what of a reach.  

What were the pre-Combine draft grades for Bradbury and Lindstrom?  I don't take much stock in Combines and Pro-Days.  I want to know how they played in actual games against good competition.

It's shaping up to be a deep OL draft in round one. I don't think there should be any excuse to not take one at this point. We always hear of the run of OL or not any being available at our pick. The only other position I'd really consider is DL with DE and DT both being big potential needs.

12 minutes ago, Virginia Viking said:

What were the pre-Combine draft grades for Bradbury and Lindstrom?  I don't take much stock in Combines and Pro-Days.  I want to know how they played in actual games against good competition.

I was never sold on Bradbury during the season and Lindstrom did not standout really much.  But looking back they are pretty solid, Bradbury is very athletic and quick but wish he showed a little more power at the point of attack but did show good strength at the combine. Lindstrom looking back did play well and is solid, had a great pre draft showing which is important, did well at the Senior bowl.  In terms of grades pre combine I do not really follow those, I would have them both as more a 2nd rounder than 1st rounder but could maybe sneak up there if a team was desperate like the Vikings.  Still not totally sold on Elflein moving to guard, the Vikings should know that information though if he can pull it of, and if so getting a center would obviously be very important.  

Exploring free agency will be key also, Trenton Brown I would have over any OT we got currently, he just hit free agency, but depends on what type of run game system the Vikings want.  If it is multiple TEs with a power run game Brown would be a great pickup and a guy like Reiff not so great.  But if we want quicker athletic guys Bradbury makes sense but honestly not sure I would be a huge fan of that OL because it would lack moving power in the run game big time and would depend greatly on OL motion which is not always effective against equal to greater DL athletes.  

19 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

I was never sold on Bradbury during the season and Lindstrom did not standout really much.  But looking back they are pretty solid, Bradbury is very athletic and quick but wish he showed a little more power at the point of attack but did show good strength at the combine. Lindstrom looking back did play well and is solid, had a great pre draft showing which is important, did well at the Senior bowl.  In terms of grades pre combine I do not really follow those, I would have them both as more a 2nd rounder than 1st rounder but could maybe sneak up there if a team was desperate like the Vikings.  Still not totally sold on Elflein moving to guard, the Vikings should know that information though if he can pull it of, and if so getting a center would obviously be very important.  

Exploring free agency will be key also, Trenton Brown I would have over any OT we got currently, he just hit free agency, but depends on what type of run game system the Vikings want.  If it is multiple TEs with a power run game Brown would be a great pickup and a guy like Reiff not so great.  But if we want quicker athletic guys Bradbury makes sense but honestly not sure I would be a huge fan of that OL because it would lack moving power in the run game big time and would depend greatly on OL motion which is not always effective against equal to greater DL athletes.  

Somebody is going to make Trenton Brown the highest paid OL in NFL history. I don't think we will be able to get in on that sweepstakes.

The Viking Way Mock Draft (via Draft Network's Predictive Board)

18. TJ Hockenson [TE] Iowa
50. Charles Omenihu [DL] Texas
81. Riley Ridley [WR] Georgia
120. Chuma Edoga [T] USC
190. Max Scharping [T] Northern Illinois
209. Alex Bars [G] Notre Dame
247. Benny Snell [RB] Kentucky
250. Iman Marshall [CB] USC

-----

Delay that OL as long as possible xD

10 hours ago, ArcticNorseman said:

That leaves the Vikes in the 3rd slot with every O-Lineman on the board.  Do I believe the draft will truly fall this way?  Nah, but if 15 picks are made without one O-lineman going, wouldn't it be wise for the Vikes to trade up and get their pick of the litter?

My fear would be Carolina takes Bradbury and Houston trades up with Cleveland to grab Dillard.  Not that Lindstrom, Ford or Williams would be bad consolation prizes, but at that point, trading down might be a wise choice.  

I think I'd be happy standing pat and letting the picks play out. If we're guaranteed the 3rd OL on our board I'd think that's a win.