2019 Draft Talk

swede700

8 minutes ago, RpMc said:

Reiff likely kicks down to LG with a Dillard selection, IMO.

I agree.  Who they take at #18 will likely determine what happens with either Reiff or O'Neill.  They could either remain where they are, or O'Neill could get kicked out left or Reiff could get kicked inside.  

• Like 3

On 3/6/2019 at 7:40 AM, vikestyle said:

Somebody is going to make Trenton Brown the highest paid OL in NFL history. I don't think we will be able to get in on that sweepstakes.

Good call he is now the highest paid OL in the NFL and is currently or right up there with Taylor Lewan at around $16 million a year.  Brown is the best tackle out there though, will see how he does next year, hope it is not as bad as Solder was moving to the Giants, and apparently Kolton Miller the Raider rookie gave up like 16 or so sacks last year which is nuts.  Highest paid OL in the league I guess will have to wait for next year 2020 for Bryan Bulaga, Jack Conklin, Joe Staley, Anthony Castonzo or Ronnie Stanley.  Is pretty nuts the highest paid is always the most recent, kind of like Kirky boy last year being the highest paid QB in the league which was a joke even saying it.  

• Like 1

9 hours ago, RpMc said:

Not sure Reiff could play LG I feel, not sure he has that type of skill set but who knows maybe they could try it.  Not sure he has the power or ability at the point of attack to make the move to be honest.  Having O'Neill and Reiff makes it hard because most likely they take OT in the 1st round instead of a OG or C, but not sure either Reiff or O'Neill could be a guard, but doubt Reiff is around much longer if they can have some young quality tackles anyway.

10 hours ago, RpMc said:

Why to people keep on thinking that tackles are able to play guard and vice versa?  They are different positions that require somewhat different abilities from the player.  Reiff would most likely not be better at LG than Remmers was at RG.  Let tackles play tackle and guards play guard!!

9 minutes ago, Virginia Viking said:

Why to people keep on thinking that tackles are able to play guard and vice versa?  They are different positions that require somewhat different abilities from the player.  Reiff would most likely not be better at LG than Remmers was at RG.  Let tackles play tackle and guards play guard!!

I agree with you and I do not think Reiff could switch to guard, but it is true that tackles switch to guard in the college to NFL transition all the time.  Zach Martin, Brandon Scherff, Kelechi Osemele, Forrest Lamp, Marshal Yanda, Jeff Allen, Cameron Erving, Alex Boone, DJ Fluker, Andrus Peat, John Jerry and others all were tackles in college and transitioned to guard at the next level.  Some guys do switch into guard after struggling at tackle but yeah Reiff is a little far along in his career to make the switch possibly. 

12 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

I agree with you and I do not think Reiff could switch to guard, but it is true that tackles switch to guard in the college to NFL transition all the time.  Zach Martin, Brandon Scherff, Kelechi Osemele, Forrest Lamp, Marshal Yanda, Jeff Allen, Cameron Erving, Alex Boone, DJ Fluker, Andrus Peat, John Jerry and others all were tackles in college and transitioned to guard at the next level.  Some guys do switch into guard after struggling at tackle but yeah Reiff is a little far along in his career to make the switch possibly. 

I think this a lot when I see OTs mocked to the Vikings like Dillard or Williams.   A Dillard selection I think would be a likely redshirt/ 2020 replacement for Reiff whereas Williams could maybe transition to OG and kick back out to OT later of needed.  It depends on the prospect and his skillset 

26 minutes ago, NoDakViking said:

I think this a lot when I see OTs mocked to the Vikings like Dillard or Williams.   A Dillard selection I think would be a likely redshirt/ 2020 replacement for Reiff whereas Williams could maybe transition to OG and kick back out to OT later of needed.  It depends on the prospect and his skillset 

Very true and that might become a factor, who can play both which might be an issue, if so 100% Dalton Risner should be #1 option, #2 I feel is Cody Ford for a OT who could play OG and Jonah Williams also maybe but I would keep him as a tackle, not as comfortable moving Jonah to guard as I would be with Risner.  Oddly enough with his hand strength I think Dillard would have more of a chance or skill set to play guard than say Reiff would.  

19 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

Very true and that might become a factor, who can play both which might be an issue, if so 100% Dalton Risner should be #1 option, #2 I feel is Cody Ford for a OT who could play OG and Jonah Williams also maybe but I would keep him as a tackle, not as comfortable moving Jonah to guard as I would be with Risner.  Oddly enough with his hand strength I think Dillard would have more of a chance or skill set to play guard than say Reiff would.  

Risner kick out to RT after O'Neill moves to LT?

The only problem with that is, if you draft a guy like Risner or Ford and start them out at OG, then you have another hole there if they move to out to OT.   Just have to put the best 5 out there.

4 hours ago, NoDakViking said:

If the a first round rookie outplays reiff, I could see them trying Reiff at guard. Otherwise yeah they could have the rookie as a backup for a year

Ideally they just are able to draft a guard though

13 hours ago, Virginia Viking said:

I don't necessarily think Reiff will work there either, but I want the young guy to play where he's going to play his career rather than swapping him from position to position and screwing up his development.  Reiff, as a veteran, should be able to adjust better at this point.  

1 minute ago, swede700 said:

I don't necessarily think Reiff will work there either, but I want the young guy to play where he's going to play his career rather than swapping him from position to position and screwing up his development.  Reiff, as a veteran, should be able to adjust better at this point.  

Agreed. Plus it's hard to assume Reiff to be part of the future given his significant cap hit. If a talented Tackle is available, you've got to grab him.

10 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

Hard to call Reiff’s cap hit all the significant, now. 

Agreed.  His dead money isn't all that significant for the rest of the contract and considering all the money being thrown at other OL.  :D

Edited by swede700

Thing is, Reiff is a prime example of getting his cap hit down and giving him some more cash. 

Make him happy, keep him at LT, and use the money to partner him up with a better Guard next to him to help him even be a better player.

Linval, Smith, Rhodes, and Rudy are all players we could do this to, to make cap room. 

Its the matter if the Vikings are really even interested in this years crop of free agents.

I still see a better chance we move some players to gain some draft picks to improve the team that way.