2019 Draft Talk

swede700

6 minutes ago, NoDakViking said:

Do you think NE would be looking to trade up if Hockensen or Fant is in range?  Not their style typically but they may be pushing to reload fast on the back end of Bradys career.

It's possible but it would surprise me. They may take one of them if they fall to NEs pick. They may trade back into the second and take one that fell to their original pick if they are still there in the second. It seems a good bet that whatever they do they'll bring in someone to be a target for Brady. It could be a TE or it could be a WR. I would be surprised if they don't draft at least one player between those two positions.

1 hour ago, Cearbhall said:

It's possible but it would surprise me. They may take one of them if they fall to NEs pick. They may trade back into the second and take one that fell to their original pick if they are still there in the second. It seems a good bet that whatever they do they'll bring in someone to be a target for Brady. It could be a TE or it could be a WR. I would be surprised if they don't draft at least one player between those two positions.

I agree.  I believe Hogan is a free agent and Edelman is 32 and Gronk just retired.  They already lost Patterson so WR is definitely in play and they could try address TE later.

When talking about trading down, I always try keep in mind that it takes two to tango and the right prospect has to make it to our pick, and the right team has to be ready to ante up the asking price.   Always see it suggested to just trade down but we may have to just sit tight and pick the player at the top of our board, regardless whether it's seen as a reach or not.

3 hours ago, Freakout said:

I was higher on Reiff than a lot were when he came out.  I use to be in love with the phrase "technician" and he fit that mold coming out of Iowa.  It would have came down to what scheme / team he ended up on.  I don't think he would have sucked because he has been average as a tackle so my guess is he would have been average at guard.  He would probably struggle some against power and get pushed back more than you want but wouldn't get completely wrecked either.

I am not the biggest fan of moving tackles inside to guard.  It can work but when you start moving 6'6 guys inside they end up losing the leverage battle unless they have the arm length and strength to compensate.  La'el Collins and Kelechi Osemele made the switch but they were much more like Cody Ford coming out than Jonah Williams.  You also have the undersized tackle converts like Zach Martin that have success but then you have Forrest Lamp stuck on the bench for the Chargers despite having better Combine numbers than Martin.  It is a crap shoot for the most part but I am taking the mauling, long armed, puncher over the catching, short armed, technician if I am looking for a tackle to guard convert.  

Thanks for the info! Jonah is still my favorite OL film I've watched, followed closely by Dillard and Bradbury. Will be interesting to see how things shake out!

7 hours ago, NoDakViking said:

Do you think NE would be looking to trade up if Hockensen or Fant is in range?  Not their style typically but they may be pushing to reload fast on the back end of Bradys career.

Actually... maybe NE would be interested in trading for Rudolph.. we free up cap space, they get a TE. They don’t seem like the team to flinch and make knee jerk reactions, but dependent on how they feel, you almost could maybe squeeze a 2nd round pick out of them for Rudolph. Maybe? I’ve not been one to want to trade Rudolph, but some combination of us sending him to NE and maybe flip flopping some picks could be an intriguing deal...

7 hours ago, NorthCountryEvo said:

Actually... maybe NE would be interested in trading for Rudolph.. we free up cap space, they get a TE. They don’t seem like the team to flinch and make knee jerk reactions, but dependent on how they feel, you almost could maybe squeeze a 2nd round pick out of them for Rudolph. Maybe? I’ve not been one to want to trade Rudolph, but some combination of us sending him to NE and maybe flip flopping some picks could be an intriguing deal...

There's no way Rudolph would be worth a 2nd. I'd say he'd bring back a 5th rounder. At best, a 4th. 

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, wcblack34 said:

There's no way Rudolph would be worth a 2nd. I'd say he'd bring back a 5th rounder. At best, a 4th. 

And at this point I think the only way we trade Rudolph before the draft is if we NEED his money now for a Thielen extension or another signing. In that scenario, he's pretty much a salary dump, so we'd probably net a late round pick. The more likely scenario would be we get a TE in the draft and then he becomes expendable. Even then teams probably know that we'd likely cut him. Can't imagine we'd even get a 2020 4th for him.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, NorthCountryEvo said:

No, they'll just sign Austin Sefarian-Jenkins and make him an All-Pro TE.  

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Snake Plissken said:

Exactly. A little simple math and probability goes a long way. 

The same simple math and probability that was applied last year when Spielman was blindsided by the run on OL? It looks like it will work out with O'Neill but...

Again, I'm not opposed to trading down but it has to make sense. I absolutely think the Seahawks and Texans (regardless if they signed Kalil - lol) are in the market for OL in the 1st.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, VikeManDan said:

The same simple math and probability that was applied last year when Spielman was blindsided by the run on OL? It looks like it will work out with O'Neill but...

Again, I'm not opposed to trading down but it has to make sense. I absolutely think the Seahawks and Texans (regardless if they signed Kalil - lol) are in the market for OL in the 1st.

It depends on the situation.  The variables that come with pick 18 are different than pick 30.  If there are 4 players equally graded, you know how far back you can go to be assured of getting one (and the probability goes down beyond that point).  If you are looking at two players/positions in one round the depth in later rounds is a factor.

I don't know if "blindsided" is the right term.  It wasn't like he got to pick 30 and suddenly realized a bunch of OL were off the board.   9. McGlinchey.  15 Miller.  20 Ragnow.  21 Price.  23 Wynn.  33 Corbitt.  34 Hernandez.  37 Smith.  With each successive pick Spielman had the opportunity to make a move.

What move would you have him make?

Edited by Snake Plissken

28 minutes ago, Snake Plissken said:

It depends on the situation.  The variables that come with pick 18 are different than pick 30.  If there are 4 players equally graded, you know how far back you can go to be assured of getting one (and the probability goes down beyond that point).  If you are looking at two players/positions in one round the depth in later rounds is a factor.

I don't know if "blindsided" is the right term.  It wasn't like he got to pick 30 and suddenly realized a bunch of OL were off the board.   9. McGlinchey.  15 Miller.  20 Ragnow.  21 Price.  23 Wynn.  33 Corbitt.  34 Hernandez.  37 Smith.  With each successive pick Spielman had the opportunity to make a move.

What move would you have him make?

The only pick of those above the Vikings a year ago that would have been considered somewhat surprising is Ragnow.  Otherwise, none of the others should have been tremendously surprising.  And if they weren't surprising to us, they certainly weren't surprising to Spielman.

Surprising moves this year would be like Risner, Bradbury and Lindstrom being gone before #18 (in addition to the expected Taylor, Williams and potentially Ford all being off the board).  As detail-oriented as Spielman is, he'd have a plan in place if that should happen, or should start to happen.  

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, swede700 said:

The only pick of those above the Vikings a year ago that would have been considered somewhat surprising is Ragnow

And even that shouldn’t have been too surprising given his draft stock seemed to continue to rise the closer we got to the draft. 

1 hour ago, Snake Plissken said:

I don't know if "blindsided" is the right term. 

Maybe not the right word but it is pretty close. Here is the quote and the link to the article:

"I know sitting there watching [offensive linemen] peel off at the top of the second round, they were flying off the board quicker than any time I can remember," general manager Rick Spielman said.

http://www.espn.com/blog/minnesota-vikings/post/_/id/26298/post-draft-vikings-still-searching-fifth-starter-on-offensive-line

1 hour ago, Snake Plissken said:

If there are 4 players equally graded, you know how far back you can go to be assured of getting one (and the probability goes down beyond that point).  If you are looking at two players/positions in one round the depth in later rounds is a factor.

Again I understand the logic. In the scenario of 4 players being graded equally are you implying that all 4 play the same position? Or 4 different positions all together?

If the Cardinals are willing to trade quarterback Josh Rosen, the Giants want to talk.

The Giants are exploring every option for a successor to Eli Manning, including acquiring Rosen from the Cardinals, Ralph Vacchiano of SNY reports.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/03/27/report-giants-will-explore-a-trade-for-josh-rosen/

Certainly not a surprise, but it would interesting to see if they'd give up their #6 or #17 pick this year or a 1st next year for it.