2019 Draft Talk

swede700

1 hour ago, PrplChilPill said:

In fairness, despite having a mediocre to bad OL, only 2 LBers, 1 safety they trusted, an injured RB, 2 WRs.....they took a CB. Oh, and they had potential aging on the DL that needed replacing.....and probably the same with a TE soon....

also in fairness, you need lots of DBs.....but maybe not in the first round year after year....

In the years that Zimmer has been here they've drafted 2 in the first. That's not too many considering 3 are pretty much starters every game and Wayne's isn't expected to be here long term.

But I agree for this year I want as many DBS to go before 18 as possible

1 hour ago, PrplChilPill said:

In fairness, despite having a mediocre to bad OL, only 2 LBers, 1 safety they trusted, an injured RB, 2 WRs.....they took a CB. Oh, and they had potential aging on the DL that needed replacing.....and probably the same with a TE soon....

also in fairness, you need lots of DBs.....but maybe not in the first round year after year....

True but honestly their nickel spot was awful, that is why they got beat down in the Playoffs.  They needed to address it and it was arguably their biggest need and Hughes can play nickel or boundary.    

Would they be better off with Austin Corbett, Will Hernandez, Braden Smith or James Daniels?  Arguably Daniels maybe but really Hughes was a great pickup and if he would of been healthy all season would of had a great year.  I seriously doubt they get a DB in this years draft 1st round, especially with Hughes, Rhodes and Alexander on the roster, and Hill and Waynes still for one more year.  Only way they draft a CB is if they trade Waynes at or before the draft which I doubt they do.

1 hour ago, vikesfan89 said:

In the years that Zimmer has been here they've drafted 2 in the first. That's not too many considering 3 are pretty much starters every game and Wayne's isn't expected to be here long term.

But I agree for this year I want as many DBS to go before 18 as possible

Of course, before that were Rhodes and Smith. This is about the Vikings, not Zimmer....and their use of draft capital. 

2 hours ago, PrplChilPill said:

No one is arguing that......not one person.

No but there is a lot of bitching about using first round picks on DBS. The first 2 were great picks, the 3rd was a decent pick and the last one remains to be seen.  Zimmer asks a lot from his DBs so I don't think putting a high value on it is a problem

Just buying but would you be happy trading Wayne's for a late first round pick?

8 minutes ago, vikesfan89 said:

No but there is a lot of bitching about using first round picks on DBS. The first 2 were great picks, the 3rd was a decent pick and the last one remains to be seen.  Zimmer asks a lot from his DBs so I don't think putting a high value on it is a problem

Just buying but would you be happy trading Wayne's for a late first round pick?

Not now that hill is suspended. But before? Yes. He's probably only here one more  year.

5 hours ago, vike daddy said:

it was the petty and sarcastic nature of the post, you're better than that. that is, if 10 of the top 17 picks are DB's, then Spielman might consider other positions....

Is there something wrong with sarcasm? The obscene number I used was intentional to make the sarcasm obvious; I didn't want that lost on the reader causing one to think that I actually believe the Rick Spielman would consider the 11th best CB when picking at 18. It seems I might have been better to use 18 CBs being selected in the first 17 picks to make it even more clear that I never thought it to be realistic.

The point was that I wanted CBs off the board before the Vikings were picking.

And why do you think that is petty? I thought it quite important to DBs to be brought up in a response to a question about which players I would like to see drafted before the Vikings are on the clock. In the end, I am a BPA guy so it is important to me that positions that I don't think the Vikings have an imminent need for are drafted as much as possible before the Vikings pick.

I seriously do not want a CB to be the BPA available when the Vikings are on the clock. Call that petty if you want, but then we can call every other answer to the question petty too.

Personally, I would prefer to see the Vikings draft a QB or LT with the first pick but being a BPA guy that also means that I want QB or LT to be the BPA when they are picking. Ergo, it is important to me that other positions are the ones that are selected from before the team picks. 

But I understand others that don't want the team drafting a QB in the first. I do not think of their opinions as petty. Not at all. Even the strong argument against taking a LT in the first that I had a few months ago with someone I didn't see as petty. I simply disagreed and thought that LT is a great position for the team to be looking to draft in the first round. This biggest beef I had in with their opinion was not that they personally didn't see LT as the place to be looking but the fact that they said it would be crazy to select a LT in the first or second round this year.  If you don't think they should draft one, that is fine. But crazy? Even in the second round? Really?  But still not petty. Child, please!

Edited by Cearbhall

8 minutes ago, RpMc said:

Not a first round pick in the bunch. 

2016 isn't looking good at all when your top pick is a #2 blocking TE. 2017 is also pretty bad, Cook has gotten off to a slow start with injuries. 

It's encouraging that the Vikes have gotten a lot out of mid to late round picks but they have squandered some high picks (Bradford, Treadwell) and have been unlucky with injuries (Hughes, Cook).

• Like 1