2019 Draft Talk

swede700

5 minutes ago, vikingsrule said:

If there is a center in the draft worth taking early, I don't see how you'd pass that up. Being optimistic for no reason could certainly set the Oline back too. If Elflein truly has ability at this level, I'd think he could settle into a guard spot if it gives the Vikes the best OL combo. I don't think those mid round picks like Elflein deserve the benefit of the doubt like a 1st or 2nd round pick typically receives.

While I think it would be fine if there were a center worth taking early, but it doesn't appear that's going to be the case, as there's only 1 right now projected in the top 100 players, although that can certainly change.  Either way, as people have indicated, this isn't a great draft if you're looking for any offensive linemen.    

4 minutes ago, gopherwrestler said:

No issue with looking at a top center, probably won’t be one until the end of round 2 or the 3rd. Worst case is they are smart and can move around..... like Easton

Agree.  I don't think they'll be able to take an interior OL until 3rd round at the earliest just because of the lack of depth at the position.  I know that might disappoint @PrplChilPill , but that's probably going to be the reality.  This is another one of those drafts deep on the defensive line, but weak on the offensive line.  

2 minutes ago, swede700 said:

This is another one of those drafts deep on the defensive line, but weak on the offensive line.  

It will be this way as long as college offenses will be running quick spread offenses. The top athletes are getting put on the defensive line and are getting asked to get after the QB rather than block for their QB. 

Thats why so many teams start looking into these “athletic” offensive lineman that also played other positions in college. 

The old standard of mean rumblers and tumblers just aren’t around as often anymore, and the ones that are usually are gone very early in the draft.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, swede700 said:

While I think it would be fine if there were a center worth taking early, but it doesn't appear that's going to be the case, as there's only 1 right now projected in the top 100 players, although that can certainly change.  Either way, as people have indicated, this isn't a great draft if you're looking for any offensive linemen.    

If the value isn't there, thats fine going with Elflein. But I'd hope we'd find another Center later in the draft that could push for playing time. Center seems to be a position where most starters come after round two so I'd anticipate pre draft rankings to not be favorable to center prospects. If there isn't a blue chipper, I'd agree with giving Elflein another chance but he needs to compete.

I don't think he deserves to be the unquestioned starter because he is arguably the worst starter on the team. PFF grades him as such, if anyone cares to use that as a reference.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, vikingsrule said:

I don't think he deserves to be the unquestioned starter because he is arguably the worst starter on the team. PFF grades him as such, if anyone cares to use that as a reference.

I have seen that, but any truly reasonable person can watch the play of the offensive line and see the weakest links are the 2 guards.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, swede700 said:

Agree.  I don't think they'll be able to take an interior OL until 3rd round at the earliest just because of the lack of depth at the position.  I know that might disappoint @PrplChilPill , but that's probably going to be the reality.  This is another one of those drafts deep on the defensive line, but weak on the offensive line.  

I kind of want a winning team...which they will not have with this OL. They have been awful at drafting OL late, so, yes, yes it would. All defense in the world can't save this team from having a bottom of the league OL.

• Like 2

It's going to be a hard draft to predict.  Right now there are about  8-10 DT's that have a 1st rd grade on them.  The last two drafts we spent 2 4th Rd picks on DT's( NT Johnson and 3 tech/DE  Holmes) Who knows if Richardson is coming back?  O line doesn't look strong in this draft either.  I know people will clamor for a OL in RD 1 but remember you can't count on a rookie to come in and save the OL.  Yes O'Neil our 2nd Rd pick has looked ok, Yet if the value isn't there in RD 1 we shouldn't reach.  Compton is a backup and Remmers isn't really a guard and is way over paid.  Easton hasn't been healthy and as much as I root for Isodora he ends up on the ground too much for my taste.  Barr is another Matt Khalil case where they have Pro Bowl first years then regress.  

• Like 1

Draft talk so soon?  Well, since it's started, I might as well chime in.  First, I'll make an obligatory request to draft OL to upgrade the OL from 'awful' to 'bad'.  Next, Rick The Pickumulator can continue his losing streak in selecting another K in the middle rounds, or earlier, depending on how many draft picks he accumulates.  Finally, Zimmer will draft CBs just like the way Chicago Democrat voters vote; i.e. early and often.  Vikings drafts have become predictable.  The only mystery at this point is how many picks Rick will accumulate for the 2019 draft. 

• Like 1

Ohhhhh I like Cody Ford..... probably a guard in the NFL...... but if somehow we recover the season and end up in the back end of the first, he could be a target. 

But of course.... lower leg injuries (broken leg) to worry about. Most likely shouldn’t be a problem for future injuries. 

So I think I'm the only one here who doesn't want an OL in round 1.  Its not that I don't want to upgrade the OLine its just that I think the good tackle prospects will be gone.  To me the money round for OL will be rounds 2 & 3 and I woudn't mind taking OL with both those picks if we go elsewhere in the 1st.  Of coarse this could all change if we continue to lose.  

Now solely about prospects I really like Garrett Brumfield, Jonah Williams & Dalton Risner for the Vikings.  I wonder how some would feel if we could land Risner in round 1 & Brumfield in round 2

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Boda said:

So I think I'm the only one here who doesn't want an OL in round 1.  Its not that I don't want to upgrade the OLine its just that I think the good tackle prospects will be gone.  To me the money round for OL will be rounds 2 & 3 and I woudn't mind taking OL with both those picks if we go elsewhere in the 1st.  Of coarse this could all change if we continue to lose.  

Now solely about prospects I really like Garrett Brumfield, Jonah Williams & Dalton Risner for the Vikings.  I wonder how some would feel if we could land Risner in round 1 & Brumfield in round 2

Brumfield?  I used to really like him but he was completely dominated against Alabama this year so my opinion of him dropped a little on that.  I seriously doubt he is a 2nd round prospect, try in the later rounds for him I would say.  Risner is very possible for the Vikings to get 1st round, Williams is probably not.  Then we can get some DL depth and pretty quality in the 2nd round.  To me there is no way the Vikings do not go OL and DL with their first two selections, those are the two biggest area of needs no doubt.

Unless of course a linebacker falls for some reason, I think we need to address that 3rd thing, Kendricks has struggled and Barr might not be back of course next year.