2019 Draft Talk

swede700

19 hours ago, gopherwrestler said:

The Saints needed a pass rusher, someone many people had ranked as a top 8 player in the draft slipped, they were able to go get their guy. It doesn’t always work out like that. If Nelson slipped like that, I woulda been jumping to move up and get him. 

The issue is, are we moving up to draft a tackle? Where will he play? Ahead of Reiff and Oniel? 

We most likely don’t need to move up for a guard. I personally would have pretty upset if we would have moved up for Ragnow or Price. 

Moving up to 14 to get Miller would have been a mistake, and it would have been hard to give up a draft captiol to draft Wynn who has battled injuries. 

At the end of the day, I’m always more than happy to move up to draft. But I’m never risking the future to move up to gamble when the risks aren’t right, just to say you drafted a position of need. 

This year we most likely won’t need to move up, but where do we go? Most of the top end tackles were fairly inconsistent and compared to last years class they are right in the same range as Oniel. Little and Taylor are probably my #1 and #2 but I’m not moving up for either. 

Now at guard you have Ford and Lindstrom, while I have to continue to look into Lindstrom they both are bottom end talent of the 1st round/early second. They aren’t Quenton Nelson of last year.

Say the rest of the year doesn’t pan out and we are drafting in that 18 range. Do we reach for one of these guards, and make them a starter immediately and hope they work out, or do we stand pat and take a shot at someone like Williams or Risner who may just be available with how much high end talent is available on the defensive side of the ball. 

or do you go after one of these high end skills players or defensive players while we are finally back in the higher end talent part of the draft. 

I realize a lot goes on from now and the draft, but I would stick to the plan, best available player at a position of need, you can’t just limit yourself to drafting oline only.

Offensive linemen are such a valuable commodity I expect multiple teams to move up in the draft to acquire players much earlier than their college career warrants.  It's a crazy time...free agent linemen are paid handsomely when they wouldn't even be in the league a decade or two ago.  This is why I believe that, after head coach, the offensive line coach should be the highest paid person on the coaching staff...his work is harder than anyone else's.

1 hour ago, VikeManDan said:

I wouldn't mind that one bit, provided there are no worthy OL at that spot.

What are people's thoughts on Noah Fant if we move on from Rudy? I don't know if we could afford to spend a 1st on a TE.

I like Fant, a lot. But I’d never use a 1st round pick on a TE. 

• Like 2

http://www.espn.com/blog/los-angeles-chargers/post/_/id/25525/elite-football-iq-allows-hybrid-safety-adrian-phillips-to-thrive-on-chargers

Good article on Adrian Phillips,  a S who also plays some Nickel Backer and corner.  I would love to draft this type of player, if the team doesn't think Kearse has already.  And also hope Zim is innovative enough to use a wild card like thos appropriately 

12 hours ago, NoDakViking said:

http://www.espn.com/blog/los-angeles-chargers/post/_/id/25525/elite-football-iq-allows-hybrid-safety-adrian-phillips-to-thrive-on-chargers

Good article on Adrian Phillips,  a S who also plays some Nickel Backer and corner.  I would love to draft this type of player, if the team doesn't think Kearse has already.  And also hope Zim is innovative enough to use a wild card like thos appropriately 

I didn't read it, but that's the kind of player I think NFL teams should be figuring out how to keep on the field every play.

3 hours ago, PrplChilPill said:

I didn't read it, but that's the kind of player I think NFL teams should be figuring out how to keep on the field every play.

I agree.  So what does everyone think,  can Kearse be that guy?  He always had intriguing size but not physical enough to be a LB too often.  

Or do we look in another direction?  Are there any players in this draft that stick out for this type of role?

On 12/14/2018 at 10:49 AM, SemperFeist said:

As of right now, this is my way too early prediction for the Vikings’ 1st round pick. 

They haven't had too much luck with guys that have the first name of Christian.  Neither one really had the heart to play in the NFL, as they both basically quit on the Vikings (one truly quit and the other one was more interested in making money off his wife than actually wanting to stick around in the NFL).