4 Years of Ryan Pace: Roster Overhaul

G08

9 hours ago, Nads786 said:

I'm expecting 8 wins and a touch of contention towards the end of the season. I think that is reasonable progress for this team. 

To me if the Bears can average 23 ppg on offense this year (a 6.5 point improvement over 2017), and I think they can, then I think they’ve got a realistic shot at being a double digit win team. 23 ppg would have put them 11th in scoring last year. Solid but not elite. The potential is there for a bigger jump than that if Mitch takes a big step this year, but with us upgrading significantly at WR and TE as well as in scheme I think 23 is a reasonable expectation. 

We allowed 20 ppg exactly last year on defense, and I’d expect that number to go down slightly as our offense improves because we would presumably be playing more with the lead, because TOP will be more favorable and because I think Smith is going to be an immediate impact player in the middle of our defense. 

You show me a team with a +3 to +4 average score differential and I’m telling you they’re playing into January. 

9 hours ago, AZBearsFan said:

To me if the Bears can average 23 ppg on offense this year (a 6.5 point improvement over 2017), and I think they can, then I think they’ve got a realistic shot at being a double digit win team. 23 ppg would have put them 11th in scoring last year. Solid but not elite. The potential is there for a bigger jump than that if Mitch takes a big step this year, but with us upgrading significantly at WR and TE as well as in scheme I think 23 is a reasonable expectation. 

We allowed 20 ppg exactly last year on defense, and I’d expect that number to go down slightly as our offense improves because we would presumably be playing more with the lead, because TOP will be more favorable and because I think Smith is going to be an immediate impact player in the middle of our defense. 

You show me a team with a +3 to +4 average score differential and I’m telling you they’re playing into January. 

We just have to account for the TOs and I can see this being possible. I can't wait to see training camp and how this team is progressing. 

17 hours ago, IronMike84 said:

Phil Emery largely tried to throw money a problem created by Jerry Angelo’s years of draft blunders. It went about as well as expected.

Emery had his own draft blunders to worry about.  I believe there are only 4 players left on the team that Emery drafted.  2 first rounders, a 2nd rounder, and a 7th rounder.  Remember Emery drafted Shea McClellin.  

3 hours ago, Superman(DH23) said:

Emery had his own draft blunders to worry about.  I believe there are only 4 players left on the team that Emery drafted.  2 first rounders, a 2nd rounder, and a 7th rounder.  Remember Emery drafted Shea McClellin.  

And everyone and their mothers were screaming for Chandler Jones. So stupid.

Team is younger and more talented.  

From those lists look at those 26 or younger then vs. now.

Then:

There were only 9 and of those only Fuller and Long are still with the team just 4 years later.  Of  those gone aside from Jeffrey none were that good or impact players.  

Now:

There are 20. 20!  That is a lot.  This is a young team.  Daniels is 20 and Smith just turned 21 I think - babies!    A lot of guys just turned 25. 

Many of that list could be high level impact players and some who already are or have been in the past. 

Howard as been carrying entire offense on his back since he joined Bears.

Cohen was scariest offensive thing on Bears last year.

Robinson has had great seasons in the league already.

Jackson was one of best young safeties in league in a historically good safety class last year

Daniels is a first round talent according to everyone and has genetic lineage.  At 20 his arrow can only go up even if he flounders a bit as a rookie.

Smith was one of best talents of entire draft.  

Trubisky has a ton of raw talent, good intelligence and a great drive.  He needs coaching and playing experience in this system.   

I could go on down the list of all our young players and their talent, point is the core talent of the team as it stands now looks real good or potentially real good for next 2 -4 years following 2018 and even pretty good for current year 2018.

Trubisky youth/inexperience and coaching change is what should hold them back this year on paper/conventional wisdom.   2019 should see leaps and bounds of improvement.

Couple that with Brady, Breese, Roethlisberger, Rivers, Manning, aging out and giant contracts to Ryan, Stafford, Rogers and Cousins hampering or will be hampering those teams and Bears could be primed for a deep playoff run in near future while still on MT's rookie deal.

Key will be MT's development this year.  Hopefully people are patient with him learning a new system and he doesn't get discouraged by set backs.  

10 hours ago, IronMike84 said:

I still want to know what Emery's vision for Evan Rodriguez was. I get that the guy had a great combine, but I can see at least a shred of sense in every other Phil Emery pick except for that one.

I liked Rodriguez coming out of college. I thought he could be a decent move TE and occasional lead blocker. Guy was a good enough athlete. I didn't know he was an idiot with all the off-field baggage. I honestly don't think talent was the issue holding Rodriguez back.

11 hours ago, IronMike84 said:

I still want to know what Emery's vision for Evan Rodriguez was. I get that the guy had a great combine, but I can see at least a shred of sense in every other Phil Emery pick except for that one.

He thought he was going to play like Aaron Hernandez.

3 minutes ago, G08 said:

Pretty much. Phil Emery really had no idea what he was doing.

When he traded for Marshall and drafted Jeffery in round 2, I thought the Bears found the next great GM. It took me about 10 weeks to realize he was a gigantic moron.

9 minutes ago, beardown3231 said:

When he traded for Marshall and drafted Jeffery in round 2, I thought the Bears found the next great GM. It took me about 10 weeks to realize he was a gigantic moron.

I won't lie, I loved the Marshall acquisition and I was pimping Jeffery ever since the start of the draft process that off-season. I was thrilled, honestly. Hated the McClellin pick but after a while I felt so bad for the **** that kid had to endure. I had a chat with him at camp and decided to root my *** off for him that season... not to any avail but hey, at least the kid went on to get himself a Super Bowl ring.

3 hours ago, beardown3231 said:

Those were good moves. 

However, Emery had 4 good picks out of 20.  Long, Jeffrey, Leno, Fuller.  Fuller had one good year - after he was fired.  5 if you count a punter.

Not crazy bad if other ones were decent role players, but they did virtually nothing and had to be prematurely cut to a man.  

Through 2017 Pace has also had 20 picks.

He has hit on 8 of them to some extent.

Jackson, Cohen, Floyd, Whitehair, Bullard, Howard, Goldman, Amos - with Trubisky and Shaheen undecided but promising.  So it could be 10.  

Huge difference.  Pace was drafting higher slots so its not fairly apples to apples.  Still Emery's record was dismal.

Archived