Sam Darnold vs Baker Mayfield

BIgBoii

33 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

I'm not sure either one of them plays to their strength.  I suppose you could make the argument that Darnold fits better into what Bates has done in the past, but I think we're making the assumption that Haley is going to keep to his old stuff.

It's definitely an assumption that Haley keeps his stuff as is but one that could impact the start of their careers. A lot of these coaches are hardheaded to a fault. 

1 hour ago, CWood21 said:

Is being the tallest midget being anything worth bragging about?  The Jets have one winning season since 2010, and they didn't even make the playoffs.  They've averaged 6.5 wins over that same period.  The Browns have averaged 3.5 wins over that same period.  Congratulations, you win the award for being the best at continual mediocrity.  It's a HUGE award.

2 winning seasons, 2 8-8 seasons. But we ain't the Browns tho.

6 hours ago, SDotNova said:

And y'all are just comparing offensive personnel. Scheme fit is just as important. Look at Goff and his play under a coach that fits him better with similar personnel. I would say Darnold and Bates are a much better match than Baker and Haley. Haley will need to change his scheme to fit Baker. So there's unknowns there. Whereas Darnold fits Bates' system as is. Less variables for Darnold.

And since we are debating careers. There's a significant chance this time next year Baker will be learning a new playbook. Whereas there's a slight to moderate chance Darnold will be learning a new playbook. Having to learn a new playbook will be a setback. 

Wow this is brilliant. 

• Here’s what it come down to between Baker Mayfield and Sam Darnold: 2 3/8 inches. “Baker’s obviously an outlier at 6 feet and 5/8 inches tall,” Browns assistant GM Eliot Wolf said. “But would we be doing the right thing if we changed our board and picked a lesser player because he’s two inches taller?” I asked another draft-decider with a definite quarterback interest two questions: How many teams in the league would he guess graded Darnold higher than Mayfield. (“Twenty.”) And who did he have number one among the passers? (“Mayfield. His tape was so good, there was no comparison to the others.”) Now all we need is two years, maybe more, to see if the Browns were right.

From King's MMQB today. https://www.si.com/nfl/2018/05/07/peter-king-sports-illustrated-nbc-mmqb

• 3 months later...

Archived