2019 NFL draft where the jags pick at 32;) (Update: pick at 7)

1 minute ago, Adrenaline_Flux said:

I, for one, believe we will have the third pick and select Noah Fant followed by TJ Hockenson in the second round.

I saw a mock draft this morning with us drafting Hockenson #6 overall and I about died.

I like those guys, but like...

2 minutes ago, .Buzz said:

I saw a mock draft this morning with us drafting Hockenson #6 overall and I about died.

I like those guys, but like...

If they select a TE with number 3 selection or any selection for that matter in the top 10 i'll personally go down to the stadium wait on whoever the GM is and slap the taste out their mouth.

1 minute ago, DuvalsKing said:

If they select a TE with number 3 selection or any selection for that matter in the top 10 i'll personally go down to the stadium wait on whoever the GM is and slap the taste out their mouth.

Yeah, I mean I'm a big fan of both of those guys but top 10? Ehhh

Grab Harry, a QB, or go with one of the studs on D imo.

10 hours ago, .Buzz said:

If you don't think they have an inside scoop/plan on what they're doing with the draft/QB position when it's almost December and they just benched the QB they paid this offseason...

If you think they are blindly going to pick a QB round 1 regardless of knowing who is even available when we pick or who even declares then we are reaching for whatever is there. Its like Gabbert all over again. We obviously need to take a QB but to say that we are going to take a QB in round 1 right now is total crap

22 minutes ago, JaguarCrazy2832 said:

If you think they are blindly going to pick a QB round 1 regardless of knowing who is even available when we pick or who even declares then we are reaching for whatever is there. Its like Gabbert all over again. We obviously need to take a QB but to say that we are going to take a QB in round 1 right now is total crap

Who here said we are definitely taking one round one/with our projected top 10 pick?

Teams have their board/set of guys they are targeting by now. Caldwell has said as much after drafts before saying they usually have a good idea on guys in the fall prior to the draft. Pretty sure if I remember right the Jaguars were pretty all in on Bortles as an underclassmen QB topping their board and hoping he fell early on in his college seasons campaign, well before we are at this point in time going into this year's draft or knowing for a fact he'd declare.

If you think they cut bait with Blake right now without having an eye for the future/planning on getting a young guy, idk what to tell you other than imo, you're wrong.

Edited by .Buzz

I don't care whom they draft but it better be a rational educated choice and drafting a TE in the top 10 is not a logical choice. Just like drafting Bortles was a dumb choice then like I said anybody with decent vision could tell that Blake was a bum coming out of college you can go back and evaluate his game in the fiesta bowl where everybody was intrigued by his stat line but if you actually watched the damn game you can see O'leary never let him throw the ball down field he dinked and dunked the ball down in that game and his backs and wide receivers did all the work I don't think Blake threw the ball more than 15 yards down the field. Here we sit today and what is Blake doing? He is still dinking and dunking the ball in year 5 of his NFL career. All i'm saying is whomever they draft I pray its not Caldwell making the final decision because his evaluation is clearly trash.. and he was still saying up until last year we can win a SB with Bortles. 🤦‍♂️ They better have extensive evaluation on whoever they draft all the way down to talking to the kids pop warner coach. Hopefully Caldwell isn't even here to make that selection but if he is they better do their do diligence. Because we cannot afford ANYMORE misses with these top 10 picks, this up coming draft has to be stellar from top to bottom we need a Saints 2016 type draft. Are we going to hit on every pick no but the top half of the draft picks 1-3 need to be studs. 

11 hours ago, Adrenaline_Flux said:

It's going to be Drew Lock or BPA then a trade up for Ryan Finley.

Lock is the best QB I have evaluated so far out of Herbert, Haskin and Lock. I like Lock arm talent wise and the kid has moxy, a strong arm but he isn't ready to be a day 1 starter though he is another one of those one read and go type QBs. He doesn't go through progressions well and he stares down wide outs. But he has potential to be the guy things I like he throws wideouts open and he isn't afraid to throw the ball up in good spots even if a DB is draped on his guy which means he trusts his guys and their preparation and his arm. But he still needs some work but he is better than Herbert and he is just slightly better than Haskin. Still don't know much about either of these guys mental make up and what they know in the film room but from the eye test thats what i've seen so far. I still want to look at Finley and Daniel Jones. Top 10 pick on Lock is ehhhhh, it what all depend on the teams elevation on if they think they can get him together. But intangible wise on the eye test he could be a first round talent top 15 remains to be seen he'd have to check the mental make up boxes. 

1 hour ago, DuvalsKing said:

Lock is the best QB I have evaluated so far out of Herbert, Haskin and Lock. I like Lock arm talent wise and the kid has moxy, a strong arm but he isn't ready to be a day 1 starter though he is another one of those one read and go type QBs. He doesn't go through progressions well and he stares down wide outs. But he has potential to be the guy things I like he throws wideouts open and he isn't afraid to throw the ball up in good spots even if a DB is draped on his guy which means he trusts his guys and their preparation and his arm. But he still needs some work but he is better than Herbert and he is just slightly better than Haskin. Still don't know much about either of these guys mental make up and what they know in the film room but from the eye test thats what i've seen so far. I still want to look at Finley and Daniel Jones. Top 10 pick on Lock is ehhhhh, it what all depend on the teams elevation on if they think they can get him together. But intangible wise on the eye test he could be a first round talent top 15 remains to be seen he'd have to check the mental make up boxes. 

Definitely a guy I'm going to watch closer, but from what I've seen and read so far, I'm eh on him. 

10 hours ago, .Buzz said:

Who here said we are definitely taking one round one/with our projected top 10 pick?

Teams have their board/set of guys they are targeting by now. Caldwell has said as much after drafts before saying they usually have a good idea on guys in the fall prior to the draft. Pretty sure if I remember right the Jaguars were pretty all in on Bortles as an underclassmen QB topping their board and hoping he fell early on in his college seasons campaign, well before we are at this point in time going into this year's draft or knowing for a fact he'd declare.

If you think they cut bait with Blake right now without having an eye for the future/planning on getting a young guy, idk what to tell you other than imo, you're wrong.

I mean, we don't even know who the GM making the pick will be at this point.  Maybe it's Caldwell, but maybe it's a guy who isn't even in the organization right now.  Who knows.

And by that token, i don't think anyone can really claim to know with any great certainty what they're going to do at the draft at this point.

It's blatantly obvious that whoever is running the show, addressing the QB position is going to have to be a top priority.  But whether that comes in the draft, FA/Trade, or even both...or whether that means they're zeroing in on a 1st round QB pick...i don't know how much certainty there can be about that right now, with the potential for shakeups coming to this front office.

7 hours ago, DuvalsKing said:

It's easy to see what some people like about Lock, but i have such a hard time with the issues he has.  He really doesn't handle pressure well or manipulate a pocket.  And he's coming out of a system that doesn't ask him to, or to make a lot of pro level reads.  A lot of it doesn't even look like reads at all, just pre-determined stuff.  It's all very tailored to mask his flaws in that.

Maybe he gets into an NFL system and can sit and learn and overcome that stuff when actually asked to...but those types of red flags scare the bejeepers out of me.  You're basically drafting a tall guy with an arm, and hoping to mold them into an NFL Quarterback.  Risky doesn't even start to cover it.

1 minute ago, Tugboat said:

I mean, we don't even know who the GM making the pick will be at this point.  Maybe it's Caldwell, but maybe it's a guy who isn't even in the organization right now.  Who knows.

And by that token, i don't think anyone can really claim to know with any great certainty what they're going to do at the draft at this point.

It's blatantly obvious that whoever is running the show, addressing the QB position is going to have to be a top priority.  But whether that comes in the draft, FA/Trade, or even both...or whether that means they're zeroing in on a 1st round QB pick...i don't know how much certainty there can be about that right now, with the potential for shakeups coming to this front office.

I never said it was a certainty that whoever is going to make that call is taking one round one. But right now we have Kessler and a QB we just benched with a large cap hit and all signs point to being released after this season. The Jaguars have sent scouts to most every Ohio State game, who just happens to have either the best or 2nd best QB prospect in the draft according to most (behind Herbert who may or may not declare). Of course they have other players, but I don't think that's a coincidence. Caldwell likely won't be making the pick as from the sounds of it changes are coming and the guy who had a large hand in bringing in our current roster for the past several years has us in the position we're in (along with Coughlin, but he likely is safe barring something crazy). 

But if you don't think that we're doing a lot of HW/got a bigboard currently as well as most of the perspective GM's and the organizations they currently are in on the QB's even though they haven't declared...I strongly disagree. This isn't like draft analysts Mel Kiper Jr. and co. who alter their big board drastically in the coming months. I mean sure, that can happen, but most guys who are either in this organization who will be making a pick or coming from a different organization to make the pick likely has big boards/rankings on prospects by now and will give that list and analysis while they interview if we do bring someone in from the outside.Whether we pick a guy in round 1 or round 4 (I fully expect a guy to be taken), that's all I'm alluding to. It WILL happen imo, but these people in FO's definitely have a good idea who is going where/who the top QB's are if they all declare, have an idea how likely they are to declare, and will adjust their board if said underclassmen don't end up declaring.

4 minutes ago, .Buzz said:

I never said it was a certainty that whoever is going to make that call is taking one round one. But right now we have Kessler and a QB we just benched with a large cap hit and all signs point to being released after this season. The Jaguars have sent scouts to most every Ohio State game, who just happens to have either the best or 2nd best QB prospect in the draft according to most (behind Herbert who may or may not declare). Of course they have other players, but I don't think that's a coincidence. Caldwell likely won't be making the pick as from the sounds of it changes are coming and the guy who had a large hand in bringing in our current roster for the past several years has us in the position we're in (along with Coughlin, but he likely is safe barring something crazy). 

But if you don't think that we're doing a lot of HW/got a bigboard currently as well as most of the perspective GM's and the organizations they currently are in on the QB's even though they haven't declared...I strongly disagree. This isn't like draft analysts Mel Kiper Jr. and co. who alter their big board drastically in the coming months. I mean sure, that can happen, but most guys who are either in this organization who will be making a pick or coming from a different organization to make the pick likely has big boards/rankings on prospects by now and will give that list and analysis while they interview if we do bring someone in from the outside.Whether we pick a guy in round 1 or round 4 (I fully expect a guy to be taken), that's all I'm alluding to. It WILL happen imo, but these people in FO's definitely have a good idea who is going where/who the top QB's are if they all declare, have an idea how likely they are to declare, and will adjust their board if said underclassmen don't end up declaring.

Sure, everyone involved in scouting and player personnel will have a lot of information and opinions already in place...but there is still plenty of tweaking and final decisions left to be made.  There's still Bowl Games, and the entire draft season which isn't make or break...but it can still make a difference.  Especially when like i said, we don't even know who will ultimately be calling the shots here.

Our scouts being at a lot of OSU games really doesn't mean anything to me.  They have a crapload of good players for this year and the coming years, and they're also a useful benchmark for watching other teams against them, and those individual matchups.  Like, weren't a bunch of people convinced we were surely taking Gesicki or something after our scouts were all over Penn State last year?  And then we didn't pick anyone from Penn State, or even the Big10 in general until like the late 6th/7th round?

It's one thing to say that personnel people and scouts obviously have done a ton of leg work on the 2019 draft class already, over the course of the actual season (duh).  It's another thing to act like there's obviously some sort of firm plan in place that involves any one particular QB solution.

1 minute ago, Tugboat said:

Sure, everyone involved in scouting and player personnel will have a lot of information and opinions already in place...but there is still plenty of tweaking and final decisions left to be made.  There's still Bowl Games, and the entire draft season which isn't make or break...but it can still make a difference.  Especially when like i said, we don't even know who will ultimately be calling the shots here.

Our scouts being at a lot of OSU games really doesn't mean anything to me.  They have a crapload of good players for this year and the coming years, and they're also a useful benchmark for watching other teams against them, and those individual matchups.  Like, weren't a bunch of people convinced we were surely taking Gesicki or something after our scouts were all over Penn State last year?  And then we didn't pick anyone from Penn State, or even the Big10 in general until like the late 6th/7th round?

It's one thing to say that personnel people and scouts obviously have done a ton of leg work on the 2019 draft class already, over the course of the actual season (duh).  It's another thing to act like there's obviously some sort of firm plan in place that involves any one particular QB solution.

I never stated that though. All I've said is that these guys definitely have a good idea on who the guy(s) are. Obviously tweaking will happen, but as I said, Caldwell after he took Bortles I'm pretty sure stated they were pretty all in on him early/mid college season with what they saw and felt about him. They follow these guys so damn closely every year from the get go.

Obviously if a guy has an absolutely atrocious performance, an injury occurs, or something off the field happens it can alter things or make you question some things you previously thought. But I'd be surprised if most people in the FO drastically change their board in December leading up to the draft. There may be some risers or fallers because of what I mentioned before, but again, all I'm saying is they probably have a good idea of who they want if they're there and don''t wait until a guy officially declares to put them on their board and decide where he fits. It'd likely be the opposite I would imagine, where they have there board all set up right now with most underclassmen they see as NFL caliber players and remove them/alter the board when they say they are staying in school.

11 minutes ago, .Buzz said:

I never stated that though. All I've said is that these guys definitely have a good idea on who the guy(s) are. Obviously tweaking will happen, but as I said, Caldwell after he took Bortles I'm pretty sure stated they were pretty all in on him early/mid college season with what they saw and felt about him. They follow these guys so damn closely every year from the get go.

Obviously if a guy has an absolutely atrocious performance, an injury occurs, or something off the field happens it can alter things or make you question some things you previously thought. But I'd be surprised if most people in the FO drastically change their board in December leading up to the draft. There may be some risers or fallers because of what I mentioned before, but again, all I'm saying is they probably have a good idea of who they want if they're there and don''t wait until a guy officially declares to put them on their board and decide where he fits. It'd likely be the opposite I would imagine, where they have there board all set up right now with most underclassmen they see as NFL caliber players and remove them/alter the board when they say they are staying in school.

There are obviously still scouting meetings and big discussions to be had yet though.  Plus obviously, decisions about who is even running things.  I'm not going to assume everyone tunnel-visions like Caldwell for Bortles.

But yes, obviously the scouts and GM candidates have been following these guys all season and have some strong opinions by this point.  That's still very different from what you keep insinuating, that they basically already know who their guys are.  When we don't even know who the guys making the call are at this point.