2019 NFL draft where the jags pick at 32;) (Update: pick at 7)

1 hour ago, JaguarCrazy2832 said:

I think the top-2 guys that were faulted recently for their size and had success were Brees and Wilson but despite being similar height his weight is the biggest concern. I'm torn because I like his passing ability but when a QB is sub 200 and looks to be maxed at that weight its concerning

what about Baker Mayfield. its a lil early to call but 63.8 completion % 27tds 14ints 7.7 yards per attempt definitely isnt a bad rookie year

Honestly, i'm just continuing to treat Murray as a baseball player until further notice.  Even if he is "considering" going with football...i want the QB, default leader, and face of my franchise to be "all in" on this game...not hedging bets, keeping all the options open, waffling trying to have his cake and eat it too.  Walking into the NCAA in a friendly scheme and winning the Heisman is still extremely impressive...but at the next level, that natural talent is only gonna carry the guy so far.  Don't think there's a lot of room for keeping one foot in each sport, if you wanna have success as an NFL QB.  So until i see evidence of that sort of clear commitment to football and the NFL...i'm not even gonna include him in QB rankings i don't think.

On 11/01/2019 at 4:49 AM, JaguarCrazy2832 said:

I think the top-2 guys that were faulted recently for their size and had success were Brees and Wilson but despite being similar height his weight is the biggest concern. I'm torn because I like his passing ability but when a QB is sub 200 and looks to be maxed at that weight its concerning

That said...i think this is the big concern with Murray, more so than just being shorter than any of those guys...he's just smaller in general.  Like Wilson isn't much taller, and when you're that short...you're going to be moving around all over like Brees and Wilson to find lanes to throw through where the height probably isn't automatically a dealbreaker anyway.  But Wilson is also a stoutly built dude who seems to carry more bulk than Murray's frame looks made for.  Just not really convinced that's going to hold up to playing that way in the NFL.  Though in part...i think even that might be a bit of a collateral effect of the above questions; whether he's preparing by building strictly toward a more pro quarterback physique...or just sorta keeping options open.

On 10/01/2019 at 10:35 PM, LinderFournette said:

ill go ahead and put him as my 2a and jones as my 2b. both have things i like but they both have questions. 

MY QB list is like 

1) Haskins

2 a) Murray

2b) Jones

3) Lock

4) grier

I'm not including Murray at this point, but i also have a kinda 2a/b sort of scenario i can't seem to nail down between Jones and Lock.  They're both really close for me.  Two very different flavors of the "some good traits, but real scary warning flags" type.  Keep going back and forth in my mind between them.

One day i look at Lock and all the natural arm talent there and think, "hey, maybe you can fix the footwork and everything else will fall into place".  But then i think about all the awful fade away throws, the insulation of that flattering scheme, and worry that it's more than just the scheme.  That he's going to be incurably skittish about pressure.  So i move back toward Jones a bit and think, "he's got a kinda hinky deliver, but he's got a lot going for him as a more polished guy who seems to have good command of a comparatively sophisticated scheme and good enough arm talent with good touch".  But then i can't shake the fear of going through this with another QB who has some upper body mechanical problems that you're just not ever going to reliably fix, limitations on drive throws, and think of some of the absolutely head-scratching decisions that an otherwise fairly polished decisionmaker makes...and go running back toward Lock.  And back again.  And repeat...

...until i start looking at some of the next tier guys like Thorson and talking myself into, "not sure he's actually that much more limited than Jones, but probably comes a fair bit cheaper".  xD

I just really don't like that it seems so hard for me to really fall in love with either of Lock or Jones "upside" enough to accept the obvious flaws.  It shouldn't be that hard imo.

14 hours ago, JaguarCrazy2832 said:

Was he so bad at trying a new position this year that we need to forgo other much more pressing needs and get a replacement though? I understand going DL because trenches win games blah blah blah but can't imagine we go with the back 7 on defense in round 1

Probably not.  At least, not to the level of spending a top pick on the position.  But then, i'm not sure how many picks we can afford to spend on the defense, period this year.  Which is where cutting important contributors seems like a bad idea...because we're already going to be fighting atrophy from that defense due to age, etc as it is, without tearing new holes in it.

But yeah...seriously doubt we go with a LBer anywhere on day 1 or 2.  Doesn't mean it wouldn't be an upgrade if we could afford to spend a pick there though.