2019 NFL draft where the jags pick at 32;) (Update: pick at 7)

4 hours ago, DuvalsKing said:

Height comparison 

Part of that is the system, and moving around though.  OU play with big spacing on the OLine that creates easy throwing lanes for a shorter QB.  You're not going to be able to replicate that at the NFL level without getting ventilated.  So the worry is more...what happens when you combine that, with gameplans designed to make him beat you for the pocket more, and a forest of tall trees with arms up clogging that interior?

It's where yes...there are a couple guys like Wilson and Brees who have managed to make it work consistently at shorter statures...but they're more the special "outliers" than the norm.  And Kyler is shorter and quite a bit "smaller" than either of them.  It's a risk factor, and not an insignificant one imo.

4 hours ago, Adrenaline_Flux said:

I'm biased, but I really don't think there's a better non-QB offensive option than Hock. I wouldn't be surprised or disappointed if we ended up with him at 7 if we cant/don't draft a QB there.

Like him more than Metcalf too?

He's definitely up there. Ehh on a TE this high but he may be an exception.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, .Buzz said:

Like him more than Metcalf too?

He's definitely up there. Ehh on a TE this high but he may be an exception.

I don't know if there's a WR worth taking in the first round at all. Metcalf included.

edit: though a WR would be fine in the back half of the first, I suppose. Definitely not at the top though probably.

23 minutes ago, Adrenaline_Flux said:

I don't know if there's a WR worth taking in the first round at all. Metcalf included.

edit: though a WR would be fine in the back half of the first, I suppose. Definitely not at the top though probably.

Got ya. I'm a Metcalf fan personally. Not sure about him at 7 yet but he's intriguing if he passes the medicals.

11 hours ago, Adrenaline_Flux said:

I'm biased, but I really don't think there's a better non-QB offensive option than Hock. I wouldn't be surprised or disappointed if we ended up with him at 7 if we cant/don't draft a QB there.

Yeah.  I'm pretty inclined to agree with that.  Normally i'm not a big fan of a TE that early, but in this draft, i think Hock is kind of the exception.  I really do think he's probably the biggest offensive weapon.  He's not necessarily Kelce or Gronk, but if he can have roughly that type of impact, that's basically your #1 receiving target.  And obviously brings some other abilities to the table as more than just a jumbo sized receiver.  He's a legit all-around TE.  Easily worth the Top-10 pick if he can be that cornerstone weapon for your offense like those guys.  So the upside is there reasonably enough, and i think the outright "bust" factor seems lower with him.  It's hard to see him not at least being a bonafide #1TE that sorts the position out for you for years and years to come.

I can see the argument for Metcalf, and i really like him too.  He's probably got the higher absolute "ceiling" if he reaches it, but there's some undeniable "bust" potential there too.  Between the injuries, the relative lack of production.  Plus honestly..."scout the player, not the team, yadda yadda yadda", but coming out of Ole Miss where they've had a few higher profile guys not quite live up to the hype over the last while...that has to lurk in the back of the mind at least a tiny bit.  He's got sky high potential in the physical traits and seems to have a natural feel for the position, but is still raw coming out of that system.

Either way, i think those are the two offensive receiving "weapons" you could make a real argument for at #7.  Not sure anyone else is even remotely in the conversation without some sort of trade-down or something.  Other than that, you're basically looking at trenches i think.

8 hours ago, Tugboat said:

Yeah.  I'm pretty inclined to agree with that.  Normally i'm not a big fan of a TE that early, but in this draft, i think Hock is kind of the exception.  I really do think he's probably the biggest offensive weapon.  He's not necessarily Kelce or Gronk, but if he can have roughly that type of impact, that's basically your #1 receiving target.  And obviously brings some other abilities to the table as more than just a jumbo sized receiver.  He's a legit all-around TE.  Easily worth the Top-10 pick if he can be that cornerstone weapon for your offense like those guys.  So the upside is there reasonably enough, and i think the outright "bust" factor seems lower with him.  It's hard to see him not at least being a bonafide #1TE that sorts the position out for you for years and years to come.

I can see the argument for Metcalf, and i really like him too.  He's probably got the higher absolute "ceiling" if he reaches it, but there's some undeniable "bust" potential there too.  Between the injuries, the relative lack of production.  Plus honestly..."scout the player, not the team, yadda yadda yadda", but coming out of Ole Miss where they've had a few higher profile guys not quite live up to the hype over the last while...that has to lurk in the back of the mind at least a tiny bit.  He's got sky high potential in the physical traits and seems to have a natural feel for the position, but is still raw coming out of that system.

Either way, i think those are the two offensive receiving "weapons" you could make a real argument for at #7.  Not sure anyone else is even remotely in the conversation without some sort of trade-down or something.  Other than that, you're basically looking at trenches i think.

I'm a big Harry fan as well but he doesn't seem like a legit top 10 guy. Whoever does get him if he slides too far is getting a hell of a player though.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Tugboat said:

When I think of Hock I think of Kyle Brady all over again he could be a little better player but I don't think he is going to give you much versatility with the personnel that is currently on the offense. Hock is going to give you an up tick in the run game but I don't think he is going to give you anymore production than you've received by any Jags TE over the past 15 yrs. He just doesn't seem like the type of TE that is going to give you the receiving production of Kelce, Gronk, or Ertz. With Hock you're probably going to get 40-60 catches from somewhere from 500-700 yards personally i'm not seeing top 7 value in that type of production.

Edited by DuvalsKing

2019 Jaguars NFL Draft Profile: Ohio State QB Dwayne Haskins -https://www.lockedonjaguars.com/jaguars/2019-jaguars-nfl-draft-profile-ohio-state-qb-dwayne-haskins/

2019 Jaguars NFL Draft Profile: Oklahoma University QB Kyler Murray -

https://www.lockedonjaguars.com/jaguars/kyler-murray-nfl-draft-profile-jaguars/

2019 Jaguars NFL Draft Profile: Mizzou QB Drew Lock - https://www.lockedonjaguars.com/jaguars/drew-lock-nfl-scouting-report-jaguars/

2019 Jaguars NFL Draft Profile: Duke QB Daniel Jones - https://www.lockedonjaguars.com/jaguars/2019-jaguars-nfl-draft-profile-duke-quarterback-daniel-jones/

2019 Jaguars NFL Draft Profile: WVU QB Will Grier - 

https://www.lockedonjaguars.com/jaguars/2019-jaguars-nfl-draft-profile-west-virginia-qb-will-grier/

Zach Goodall’s scouting reports on the top 5 qbs he’s scouted.

5 hours ago, .Buzz said:

I'm a big Harry fan as well but he doesn't seem like a legit top 10 guy. Whoever does get him if he slides too far is getting a hell of a player though.

Yeah.  I love Harry too, but as good as he is at the catch point and after the catch, i'm just not sure he's quite dynamic enough to warrant a Top-10 pick.  He seems like more of a potential Alshon Jeffery type.  And as much as i love that type of player, and it's exactly what we need in our receiving corps right now...it's hard to see quite a Top-10 value on him.  I wouldn't even be mad if we did it, but ehhhh...

I think in general, it might be another year where unless we're moving up or grabbing a QB where we sit...a trade-down scenario might be really attractive for our value/needs alignment.  More picks = more holes potentially patched affordably to help our cap situation.  Not sure what anyone would be wanting to trade up for though.  Someone trying to move up for one of the last of the "elite" DLineman types is probably the most realistic opportunity, and even that seems a bit unlikely.  Teams don't tend to make that move for DLine.  Maybe someone wants to leapfrog Miami or someone for Kyler if we're not interested.  It'd be awesome if we could slide back a bit, pick up an extra asset and still get one of the offensive weapons...but sadly, the deal probably isn't there to do it.