2019 NFL draft where the jags pick at 32;) (Update: pick at 7)

1 hour ago, Speedyg said:

Hock is really intriguing because he does fit what we want out of our TE. I'm not sure if they are willing to invest in that position that high, but we can hope that Coughlin and his offenses had threats on TE in Mitchell, Brady, and Shockey. I think he also signed Bennett after Shockey left so he has invested FA money on the position in the past.

Problem is TE is typically a slow impact position as a rookie. Combined with the lack of depth at tackle, they may feel that they have to reach for a T that high.

Then again, one of TC's best pick was a DT over a Florida T that everyone wanted them to take (when T was viewed as a need for us).

I'm drooling over this rn.

Edited by .Buzz

22 minutes ago, JaguarCrazy2832 said:

While its never a bad thing to see this, I feel like if he was remotely that good he would have seen the field some last year right?

Eh...some guys need more development/wait like what we did with him. We'll see, shouldn't bet on him but he has potential.

4 hours ago, .Buzz said:

Eh...some guys need more development/wait like what we did with him. We'll see, shouldn't bet on him but he has potential.

pff grades are kinda weird.  cant discount the fact he had a very draftable QB along with a high pick center(bradbury). let us not forget that richardson essentially played on a very sneaky good OL.  tony adams was their RG and he was a very good player tho he wasnt really an NFL G kinda athlete(5th percentile athlete at his pro day.

3 hours ago, LinderFournette said:

pff grades are kinda weird.  cant discount the fact he had a very draftable QB along with a high pick center(bradbury). let us not forget that richardson essentially played on a very sneaky good OL.  tony adams was their RG and he was a very good player tho he wasnt really an NFL G kinda athlete(5th percentile athlete at his pro day.

Not saying that grade is end all be all, just a reinforcement of how well he played in college.

We'll see if he can figure it out at NFL level but he definitely has potential to be a starting RT pending development imo.

On 17/03/2019 at 3:28 PM, Speedyg said:

Anyone tempted by Gary at 7? The production didn't match the measurable, but that happens sometimes in college when teams try to scheme against you (especially in the DL). We saw it with Clowney, saw it with Garrett.

I say this because the TE and WR classes are deep and we can potentially greet near equal value there even to 2nd or 3rd round.

Tackle is the one that is a big need and isn't as deep, but there doesn't appear to be a consensus on the T position, and the ceiling isn't as high. 

Gary on the other hand will likely not start, but will rotate. He can potentially start at LDE next season when we will likely have to part with Calais.

Not even slightly tempted by Gary.  That'd be my absolute rage pick.

I don't even think it's about "other teams scheming against him" in the slightest.  There's an element of it that's about the way Michigan schemed themselves defensively.  I get that he was asked to play a role that isn't the most glamorous...but he ultimately played a pretty similar position to what we ask our "big end" to do here.  And he was really not productive in that role.  What makes you think he's going to be more productive doing that as a Pro?

It just reeks of the same excuses that were made for various other "big end" guys we tried here.  Like Alualu when we made the switch, Red Bryant, and especially when we got Odrick as this bigtime FA signing and he did jack squat.  Calais here (and others elsewhere) have clearly shown that you can still get a productive player out of that sort of role.  You wanna spend a Top-10 pick on a guy who is gonna maybe grab you 3-5 sacks and 5-12 TFLs a year?

Like, you're talking about how teams "schemed against" Clowney...but that was like a no duh situation.  Clowney was more productive in his sophomore season alone, than Gary was in his entire gosh darn collegiate career combined.  Clowney was an absolute different level menace before he coasted through his draft year getting triple-teamed half the time.  Gary isn't even in the same stratosphere.

If you're taking Gary anywhere near the Top-10, or the 1st round even...it's because you think he's going to absolutely explode once you get him into more of a pure disruptive 3T role.  But then...if that's what you're drafting him for, why not just grab Ed Oliver who is also athletic and a proven disruptive presence on the interior?  Grab a "big end" a big later.  This draft has a bunch of them with some potential.

On 18/03/2019 at 7:45 AM, Speedyg said:

Depends what were looking to do scheme wise. Sweatt doesn't fit our big end profile, unless they decide to go away from that. But since they basically benched Malik for his run stopping (lack of), I would guess their priority is still run stopping.

Gary would be playing Calais (and what they initially tried to do with Taven) role of big End on run downs and going inside on passing downs.

The benching of Malik had far more to do with Taven Bryan draft and cap politics than anything else.  Neither of them is any good against the run, but that's not even really the role they're generally tasked with in this defense.  They're 1-gap penetrators and it was a load of BS blaming Malik's benching on that, considering Taven is probably even worse anyway.

I could stomach a DLine pick at 7 and understand it as keeping a strength strong.  Just not Gary.  He might turn out alright, but not here and probably not anytime really soon.  I don't much care how fast he can run 40 yards in a straight line.

On 17/03/2019 at 6:27 PM, .Buzz said:

I'm unsure how we look at WR although I think we definitely need to. Lee, Dede, Conley, Chark, Cole are all sticking I imagine. I think we need to go with a guy decent early but I wonder how they attack it.

I feel like a guy like Irv or Moreau would be fine later, but man I'd be lying if I didn't love the idea of getting Hock/Fant, and I don't think either will be there in round 2.

As far as OL you can usually find some strong guard options mid rounds but tackle is a lot less likely and I'm not sure if we view Richardson Oghuebi as legit starting options or not.

The WR thing is tricky, because of the way things seem to cluster in this draft.  We're in kind of a dead-zone for WRs in both rounds, depending on how it falls.  Considering exactly what it is that we really need to add to our group - which is top-end, rather than more middling depth.

Metcalf is really the only guy who might make sense at 7.  After that, i think Harry is gone well before our 2nd round pick.

If AJ Brown is there, i feel like he'd be worth it...but he's still not really exactly the type of WR.

So then you're into Deebo and Hakeem Butler, who might be worth it...but still feel like slight reaches given what else is likely to still be on the board in terms of Rnd1 caliber spillover.  Maybe Hollywood Brown if you're confident his lis franc isn't gonna wreck him and don't mind that he weighs about a buck fifty and isn't at all the type of receiver you're probably looking for to pair with Foles.  But you're already on the borderline of guys who might have a shot at starting games this year even.

So 3rd round you're maybe looking at like:  a flyer on DaMarkus Lodge?  Betting you can teach Parris Campbell to be a really good receiver with his dynamic but raw skillset?  David Sills?  It's all sorta projects with upside at that point.

After that...there's a boatload of depth of interesting guys, but they're guys that probably just get completely lost in the muddle of our collection of #2/3 types with Lee/Dede/Keelan/Chark and now Conley added as well.

It's an awkward year for us to be looking for a receiver because we really need a big-body Foles target top rung on the depth chart...and there's only really 2 guys i can see filling that niche immediately.  Our depth at WR is actually...pretty good imo, considering you can only carry so many receivers and only put so many on the field at a time.  It feels kinda...Metcalf or bust to me.  And while Dave was there in Atlanta for the Julio trade-up and everything...Julio was pretty much a slamdunk stud, while Metcalf has plenty of caution flags flying, despite the upside.