2019 NFL draft where the jags pick at 32;) (Update: pick at 7)

B/R scenario:

Remember how the Raiders selected nice, safe Quinnen Williams a few picks ago? Well, they only have so much nice and safe in them.

Here's why we have them mock-trading the Nos. 24 and 27 picks to move up and select Lock:

After this trade and selection, we can look forward to a Carr-Lock controversy full of loaded Gruden comments (and Antonio Brown input), followed by a season of Lock performing his Patrick Mahomes Lite imitation while flinging the ball deep to Brown and any teammates who earn Brown's approval (mostly Brown).

That's entertainment, folks.

• The Raiders added many veterans in the offseason, so they aren't as needy as many 4-12 teams.
    • Jon Gruden doesn't have the patience to rebuild, so the prospect of three first-round picks doesn't excite him much.
    • Gruden coached Lock at the Senior Bowl. Lock looked good, and their personalities seem to fit. (Lock has a sense of humor, which he will need.)
    • Any team that wants a particular quarterback in this draft had better leapfrog over the Broncos, Dolphins, Bengals and the Giants' second pick.
    • The Raiders still have the No. 35 overall pick after this trade, so they will be able to add another pass-rusher.
    • The Jaguars have multiple needs. Sitting here and taking an offensive tackle (Washington's Andre Dillard is a popular choice) is a great way for them to go 7-9 next year, and they know it.
    • Are you convinced that the Raiders are totally on board with Derek Carr? Didn't think so.

B/R scenario 

17. Trade! Jaguars (from Giants): Andre Dillard, T, Washington State

17 OF 32

7ca6d0c9365d5a4853ac2a44cfdb3598_crop_ex
Young Kwak/Associated Press

(A rotary phone rings once again in East Rutherford)

GIANTS GM DAVE GETTLEMAN: Tommy! How in the health are you?

JAGUARS PRESIDENT TOM COUGHLIN: Hello, David. I am just calling to see how things...

GETTLEMAN: Sure, we'll trade down.

COUGHLIN: Since you mentioned it, we do have an interest in Andre Dillard, because he would be an ideal pass protector for Nick Foles. And we want to get ahead of the Vikings. But you know, we can't offer both of the first-round picks we got from the Raiders.

GETTLEMAN: Doesn't matter.

COUGHLIN: We can package one with one of our two third-rounders.

GETTLEMAN: Sounds good.

COUGHLIN: So, do you want the 24th pick and the low third-rounder we got from the Rams or the 27th pick and our own...

COUGHLIN: David, are you sure you have a plan up there?

GETTLEMAN: Tommy, you just signed a 30-year old career backup for $88 million. Your receiving corps is a mess, your offensive line needs work, your running back can't drive 55, and your cap situation is such a mess that you're struggling to keep your defense together. Are you sure you have a plan?

COUGHLIN: (awkward silence)

GETTLEMAN: (awkward silence)

COUGHLIN: Good doing business with you, David.

GETTLEMAN: Anytime, old buddy.

Comedy

27. Jaguars (from Raiders): A.J. Brown, WR, Ole Miss

27 OF 32

c2be002f8a8b448f191d134e90cdac33_crop_ex
Rogelio V. Solis/Associated Press

The Jaguars receiver corps is in disrepair, and Nick Foles is the sort of quarterback who needs to be elevated by his supporting cast as opposed to vice versa.

This receiver class is stacked with prospects who are great at many things but terrible at one thing, which is why there is no consensus about how to rank the top guys. So figuring out who Tom Coughlin, Dave Caldwell and Doug Marrone will select comes down to a process of elimination:

Brown is actually a great fit for the Jaguars, too. They'll just reach that conclusion in a very roundabout Jaguars kind of way.

• D.K. Metcalf, Ole Miss: Too ripped. Football fuddy-duddies like their receivers in shape, but not Metcalf's kind of in shape. Also, he's off the board.
    • Marquise "Hollywood" Brown, Oklahoma: Too small. Nicknamed "Hollywood" because he's from Hollywood, Florida, but still (nervous side-eye).
    • Hakeem Butler, Iowa State: Dropped passes are the only thing more likely to give old-school coaches nightmares than cable news programs.
    • Parris Campbell, Ohio State: Slot receivers weren't starters in 1977 and they aren't starters now, dagnabbit.
    • N'Keal Harry, Arizona State: Good choice, but already off the board.
    • A.J. Brown, Ole Miss: Perfect! Not too big, not too small. Versatile, but not a pure slot guy. Good measurements, great film. And he blocks! Old-school coaches love a receiver who blocks!

yes please

tho this is probably as good a time as many to remind everyone:

there are going to be A LOT of rumors from now until the beginning of the draft that are going to be nowhere near true. and some that are on the money. me, personally, I like to just sit back and try to avoid it all the last day before the draft.

5 hours ago, .Buzz said:

❤️

Seriously, idk why more people aren't 100 percent down with Jonah. So versatile. Top OL and will bring that nasty streak.

Him, Hock, or DL and I'm all aboard.

Metcalf is the only guy I'd need time to get on board with. Taylor I wouldn't be thrilled with, but I'd see the fit and think he'll be solid...just not top 7 solid.

It'd be pretty lame to take Williams at 7 if they're projecting him as a Guard. 

I like him there just fine there as a RT, but i don't think he's Nelson as a guard, which is the only way I think a guard would be worth it at 7. And there will definitely be solid starting guards available later. 

If they're gonna shoehorn Jonah as a guard, i'd rather they just take someone else that they'd actually see as an OT, premium position. 

I mean, I like the prospect of having a move to guard as a "fallback" if he can't hack it at tackle. But I wouldn't want to go with him at 7 assuming that from the start. 

Edited by Tugboat

2 hours ago, DuvalsKing said:

B/R scenario 

17. Trade! Jaguars (from Giants): Andre Dillard, T, Washington State

17 OF 32

7ca6d0c9365d5a4853ac2a44cfdb3598_crop_ex
Young Kwak/Associated Press

(A rotary phone rings once again in East Rutherford)

GIANTS GM DAVE GETTLEMAN: Tommy! How in the health are you?

JAGUARS PRESIDENT TOM COUGHLIN: Hello, David. I am just calling to see how things...

GETTLEMAN: Sure, we'll trade down.

COUGHLIN: Since you mentioned it, we do have an interest in Andre Dillard, because he would be an ideal pass protector for Nick Foles. And we want to get ahead of the Vikings. But you know, we can't offer both of the first-round picks we got from the Raiders.

COUGHLIN: We can package one with one of our two third-rounders.

GETTLEMAN: Sounds good.

COUGHLIN: So, do you want the 24th pick and the low third-rounder we got from the Rams or the 27th pick and our own...

COUGHLIN: David, are you sure you have a plan up there?

GETTLEMAN: Tommy, you just signed a 30-year old career backup for $88 million. Your receiving corps is a mess, your offensive line needs work, your running back can't drive 55, and your cap situation is such a mess that you're struggling to keep your defense together. Are you sure you have a plan?

COUGHLIN: (awkward silence)

GETTLEMAN: (awkward silence)

COUGHLIN: Good doing business with you, David.

GETTLEMAN: Anytime, old buddy.

Comedy

27. Jaguars (from Raiders): A.J. Brown, WR, Ole Miss

27 OF 32

c2be002f8a8b448f191d134e90cdac33_crop_ex
Rogelio V. Solis/Associated Press

The Jaguars receiver corps is in disrepair, and Nick Foles is the sort of quarterback who needs to be elevated by his supporting cast as opposed to vice versa.

This receiver class is stacked with prospects who are great at many things but terrible at one thing, which is why there is no consensus about how to rank the top guys. So figuring out who Tom Coughlin, Dave Caldwell and Doug Marrone will select comes down to a process of elimination:

Brown is actually a great fit for the Jaguars, too. They'll just reach that conclusion in a very roundabout Jaguars kind of way.

• D.K. Metcalf, Ole Miss: Too ripped. Football fuddy-duddies like their receivers in shape, but not Metcalf's kind of in shape. Also, he's off the board.
    • Marquise "Hollywood" Brown, Oklahoma: Too small. Nicknamed "Hollywood" because he's from Hollywood, Florida, but still (nervous side-eye).
    • Hakeem Butler, Iowa State: Dropped passes are the only thing more likely to give old-school coaches nightmares than cable news programs.
    • Parris Campbell, Ohio State: Slot receivers weren't starters in 1977 and they aren't starters now, dagnabbit.
    • N'Keal Harry, Arizona State: Good choice, but already off the board.
    • A.J. Brown, Ole Miss: Perfect! Not too big, not too small. Versatile, but not a pure slot guy. Good measurements, great film. And he blocks! Old-school coaches love a receiver who blocks!

I like this wild scenario. Might go with a different tackle over Dillard instead. But I like the framework. 

Seems incredibly unlikely though. 

12 minutes ago, Adrenaline_Flux said:

yes please

tho this is probably as good a time as many to remind everyone:

there are going to be A LOT of rumors from now until the beginning of the draft that are going to be nowhere near true. and some that are on the money. me, personally, I like to just sit back and try to avoid it all the last day before the draft.

I can't. I just can't.

Tomorrow at work is going to be a rough one.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, DuvalsKing said:

Originally the Jags take a trade down with the Raiders. Jags get picks 24 and 27. Then the Jags package pick 24 and (1) of the 3rd rounders to move up to 17 for Dillard.

24 and 27 seems low for a move to top 7 right?