2019 NFL draft where the jags pick at 32;) (Update: pick at 7)

On 11/18/2018 at 5:36 PM, pwny said:

And you're not taking into account just how bad our OL is. We literally have three of the bottom 5 pass blockers in the entire NFL this season. We don't just have bad backups because of a league wide issue, we literally lead the pack in disasters.

Despite there being at least 50 OL injuries across the NFL this season, Josh Walker has been the worst OL in the league, bar none. No backup has performed as poorly as he has. Despite those injuries to other teams, only two OL in the entire NFL - backups included - have been as bad as two of our starting OL (Cann and Parnell) and we have backups that are somehow so much worse than those guys that they aren't even in danger of losing their starting spot.

Even with that being said the Jags oline as a unit is still not performing worse than the Texans, Vikes, Bengals or Chargers oline who are in contention to make the playoffs. 

https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/pro-2018-nfl-offensive-line-rankings-all-32-teams-units-after-week-9

Passing stats league wide:

http://www.espn.com/nfl/statistics/team/_/stat/passing

Rushing stats league wide:

http://www.espn.com/nfl/statistics/team/_/stat/passing

In totality by the stats I think we can all agree that the QB position is the problem. Do we have an even marginal oline no. But other teams are finding ways to win football games with worse olines. Even with Fournette missing 5 games or whatever he missed they are still avg 4.0 yds per carry and its not like Blake is getting dismantled in the sack category. Mariota (who has a way better oline has taken more sacks), Watson, Rodgers, Wentz-Foles, Prescott, and Wilson have all taken more sacks than Bortles and I think we can all agree that those guys are either more or just as mobile as Bortles. Before someone says those guys may not have as many passing attempts as Blake they are either in the same neighborhood or they even have more attempts, Mariota has taken more sacks and Blake has taken 97 more drop backs than Mariota.  

Edited by DuvalsKing

7 hours ago, DuvalsKing said:

Even with Fournette missing 5 games or whatever he missed they are still avg 4.0 yds per carry

You make it sound like this is something that's good. They're 27th in the league in YPC. And if you remove Blake's rushes, they're averaging 3.5 YPC, which would be good for worst in all of football. And pass protection is bottom 5.

Yes, QB is defect need #1. But you're kidding yourself if you think plugging in just a QB is going to fix this, you're just wrong. Unless it ends up being Brady, Rodgers or Brees, this ship isn't getting righted just by upgrading the QB. It's a systemic problem at every level.

19 minutes ago, Adrenaline_Flux said:

I don't know why we didn't plan for significant injuries to six offensive linemen.

Come on Flux. This team doesn't plan for any injuries anywhere. Across the entire roster, how many guys do you actually think can be effective spot starters for injury? There's like three, and one of them was traded for after an injury crippled the offense. That's a big problem.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, pwny said:

Come on Flux. This team doesn't plan for any injuries anywhere. Across the entire roster, how many guys do you actually think can be effective spot starters for injury? There's like three, and one of them was traded for after an injury crippled the offense. That's a big problem.

I'm with Flux.. pwny name me a team any team league wide that is deep on oline without significant drop off enlighten me i'm intrigued. I know once upon a time as far as 2 years ago Cowboys had a deep oline but other than them I can't recall.

Edited by DuvalsKing

8 minutes ago, DuvalsKing said:

I'm with Flux.. pwny name me a team any team league wide that is deep enough to go 6 deep on oline without significant drop off enlighten me i'm intrigued.

Name me a team with worse depth across their entire roster. Enlighten me i'm intrigued.

The OL was done the second Cam went down. The fact that it's up to 6 now doesn't change that they were in trouble the first time someone went down. It snowballed, sure. But they weren't even prepared for the first one. It's a disaster of roster mismanagement and it's been the case at every single position for nearly a decade now; one injury and an entire unit tailspins to disaster.

And despite the fact that it's technically 6, only three of them would have been in a position to see any action if they were healthy.

1 hour ago, pwny said:

Name me a team with worse depth across their entire roster. Enlighten me i'm intrigued.

The OL was done the second Cam went down. The fact that it's up to 6 now doesn't change that they were in trouble the first time someone went down. It snowballed, sure. But they weren't even prepared for the first one. It's a disaster of roster mismanagement and it's been the case at every single position for nearly a decade now; one injury and an entire unit tailspins to disaster.

And despite the fact that it's technically 6, only three of them would have been in a position to see any action if they were healthy.

Raiders are notoriously bad depth wise.. Jets are trash depth wise Cardinals, The Giants, and Ravens. 

Edited by DuvalsKing

1 hour ago, pwny said:

I think depth is an issue, but not as big of an issue as you think (or, at the least, not as disproportionate to the rest of the league). It's just a difference of opinion though and I'm football-sad enough to the point where I don't really want to get into an in-depth (ha, pun) conversation about it.

23 minutes ago, Adrenaline_Flux said:

I think depth is an issue, but not as big of an issue as you think (or, at the least, not as disproportionate to the rest of the league). It's just a difference of opinion though and I'm football-sad enough to the point where I don't really want to get into an in-depth (ha, pun) conversation about it.

I'm with you. There is very few spots on any team where they can lose a guy and be fine at that spot, especially OL or LT.

There's teams around the league starting LT's that are basically turnstiles. Josh Wells isn't great, but he's better than plenty of LTs other teams have backing up there guys. Same goes for other spots.

Are we great depth wise? No. But not many teams if any can lose key players/starters and not see a decent/large dip in play at that spot.

It's the same thing every year with this team. Bad QB play and blaming injuries for the season going bad. Won't ever change either because no one will admit it's even a problem. We're going to continue being this team for a long, long time with an occasional good year when every injury breaks our way and we end up having virtually no injuries and facing 10 different backup QBs.

11 minutes ago, pwny said:

It's the same thing every year with this team. Bad QB play and blaming injuries for the season going bad. Won't ever change either because no one will admit it's even a problem. We're going to continue being this team for a long, long time with an occasional good year when every injury breaks our way and we end up having virtually no injuries and facing 10 different backup QBs.

I agree with you to some extent Hou was in the same position last year.. its an issue that needs to be addressed.. hopefully Caldwell will fall on the sword at the end of the year. 

21 minutes ago, pwny said:

I can't really remember any other year where people have blamed injuries primarily for our bad performances. 2008 was in part due to injuries, but moreso due to poor free agent and draft decisions by Shack Harris. Then a dismantling of the roster and failed rebuilding by Gene Smith which accounted for 2009-2012. 2009 and 2010 we were in contention late, but that was more to easy schedules and solid (not great) coaching. Roster was gutted to a point beyond an expansion team after that tbh. 2013-2016 never really in contention, though at least 2015  and 2016 probably had coaching and culture as a big part of that. Bad QB play in 2016 definitely didn't help. This year, injuries are a big part of our fall. It's not an excuse; it's a genuine reason. That said, bad QB play for most of the year and Nathaniel Hackett have been a big issue. So, overall, I disagree with that notion but agree that things have been bad for a long time and it's hard to truly vision it improving in a stable manner.

I think the outlook for 2019 is poor simply because there isn't a good QB market. Improving at QB might not get us back to being a Super Bowl contender like last year, but it gives us a chance which is something we don't have right now. I just don't see a clearcut guy that is the answer, though I do think we try to find someone. Things change drastically year to year though and the NFL never plays out how you expect it to on paper, so I'm not going to write it off and be "doom and gloom" (for lack of a better phrase) but I acknowledge it doesn't look good right now and I 100% understand the pessimistic mentality. I've tried explaining to friends who are fans of other teams and they don't get it. When you've been bad every year outside of one for the past decade, it feels like the bottom is going to fall out any time things start going well... even after the year we had last year. Statistically, fans of sports don't gain a stable confidence in their team (if they've been bad for a while) until they've had winning records/made playoffs three years in a row... which is something we haven't had since the late 90s. For all intents and purposes, that puts us in the same group as Browns and Bills fans and why a lot of fans justifiably feel like things won't get better. At this point though, I'm kind of just ranting and venting and possibly in a way that isn't 100% coherent. I guess this is a longwinded way of saying I have the same type of pessimistic anxiety, but I'm also plagued by an unwiltering inkling of hope that will keep me around and keep my head up until it yet again has a reason to hang low (which, in the majority of my time as a fan, it has been).

3 minutes ago, Adrenaline_Flux said:

I can't really remember any other year where people have blamed injuries primarily for our bad performances. 2008 was in part due to injuries, but moreso due to poor free agent and draft decisions by Shack Harris. Then a dismantling of the roster and failed rebuilding by Gene Smith which accounted for 2009-2012. 2009 and 2010 we were in contention late, but that was more to easy schedules and solid (not great) coaching. Roster was gutted to a point beyond an expansion team after that tbh. 2013-2016 never really in contention, though at least 2015  and 2016 probably had coaching and culture as a big part of that. Bad QB play in 2016 definitely didn't help. This year, injuries are a big part of our fall. It's not an excuse; it's a genuine reason. That said, bad QB play for most of the year and Nathaniel Hackett have been a big issue. So, overall, I disagree with that notion but agree that things have been bad for a long time and it's hard to truly vision it improving in a stable manner.

It's been going on for a while. I went off on a tirade after we signed Poehls last year for this specific reason.

Every year, someone goes down and a unit goes to crap and the team acts like no one could have ever guessed that any player could ever get hurt. Then they turn around the next year and pretend like getting that player back from injury will fix everything, never even contemplating the idea that someone else might get injured the next year. It's perpetual nonsense that I've been talking about for years now, but everybody's still wide eyed and "who could ever predict this could happen" every time it does.

Injuries and thrusting players into roles they're not capable of handling with no back up plan for either; the Jaguars way.

3 minutes ago, pwny said:

It's been going on for a while. I went off on a tirade after we signed Poehls last year for this specific reason.

Every year, someone goes down and a unit goes to crap and the team acts like no one could have ever guessed that any player could ever get hurt. Then they turn around the next year and pretend like getting that player back from injury will fix everything, never even contemplating the idea that someone else might get injured the next year. It's perpetual nonsense that I've been talking about for years now, but everybody's still wide eyed and "who could ever predict this could happen" every time it does.

Injuries and thrusting players into roles they're not capable of handling with no back up plan for either; the Jaguars way.

I'd argue that that's a common issue for almost every NFL team, but I think we would probably just go in circles.

Just now, Adrenaline_Flux said:

I'd argue that that's a common issue for almost every NFL team, but I think we would probably just go in circles.

When only one team in the entire NFL has a worse record than you over the last 11 years, hardly anything you do is "common". Even if it's common, most quality teams have enough depth to survive basic injuries and still put on a good product. We lose a few players on offense and suddenly we have the longest losing streak in all of football.