2019 NFL draft where the jags pick at 32;) (Update: pick at 7)

24 minutes ago, .Buzz said:

I don't really adore Matt Miller or his Mocks...but man, just flipping through it, this is gonna be such a defense-heavy draft on Day1 and maybe even into Day2.  Gonna be really interesting how that reconciles with the fact we should really be in the market for a crazy offense-heavy draft for the Jaguars.

Also interesting that he has us taking Daniel Jones.  Especially with Haskins still "on the board".  Jones is certainly the type of quarterback i could see them drafting.  Big, tall, imposing and with 3 years as a starter (unlike Haskins).  Some athleticism too.  But some real mechanical issues and stuff.  Kinda has Bortles part 2 vibes to it, which is a bit scary.

32 minutes ago, Tugboat said:

I don't really adore Matt Miller or his Mocks...but man, just flipping through it, this is gonna be such a defense-heavy draft on Day1 and maybe even into Day2.  Gonna be really interesting how that reconciles with the fact we should really be in the market for a crazy offense-heavy draft for the Jaguars.

Also interesting that he has us taking Daniel Jones.  Especially with Haskins still "on the board".  Jones is certainly the type of quarterback i could see them drafting.  Big, tall, imposing and with 3 years as a starter (unlike Haskins).  Some athleticism too.  But some real mechanical issues and stuff.  Kinda has Bortles part 2 vibes to it, which is a bit scary.

Haven't heard any comparisons to Blake or seen much about what you state.

All QBs are going to have drawbacks, and I'll have to watch more of him, but I highly doubt his mechanics realm with Bortles considering one of his big positives is his accuracy.

4 hours ago, JaguarCrazy2832 said:

Dont we say the defense class is loaded every year? I just feel like every year there is an influx of high-caliber pass rushers and secondary guys while OL is weak and most people aren't enamored with high pick RBs(albeit moreso lately)

this years DL class is actually legit loaded.   the OL class this year doesnt look too terrible. its gonna depend on who declares and what not but its not like bad bad. 

18 hours ago, .Buzz said:

All QBs are going to have drawbacks, and I'll have to watch more of him, but I highly doubt his mechanics realm with Bortles considering one of his big positives is his accuracy.

Jones has a long throwing motion the ball does not come out his hand quick. Which is one of the reason Blake has so many balls batted at the line of scrimmage you can pretty much telegraph his throws as a d-linemam. He is the lowest rated QB on my big board out of Haskin, Lock, Herbert,  Finley, and Jones. 

5 hours ago, DuvalsKing said:

Jones has a long throwing motion the ball does not come out his hand quick. Which is one of the reason Blake has so many balls batted at the line of scrimmage you can pretty much telegraph his throws as a d-linemam. He is the lowest rated QB on my big board out of Haskin, Lock, Herbert,  Finley, and Jones. 

I don't see that though. His throwing mechanics look quite solid to me, his footwork on the other hand could use some work at times. But that's the only glaring thing I see.

On 04/12/2018 at 8:46 AM, .Buzz said:

From the Daniel Jones i've watched, he's got a pretty inconsistent delivery.  The actual throwing motion is a bit erratic from day-to-day, throw-to-throw.  Sometimes it's alright and pretty quick.  Sometimes it's a long loopy delivery.  Sometimes it's a weird semi-sidearm thing.  And it's not really like Stafford and the way he varies his arm angle, which can be a positive.  It just seems like the ball doesn't come out consistently the same with Jones.  And that's one of those things that, as we've seen with Bortles...can be really hard, if not impossible to reliably refine.

More than that though, i get the Bortles vibes from the way he's this big/tall kinda athletic QB who tosses some deep balls and seems to give a lot of people this impression of a "big arm".  When really, those deep balls, he puts a ton of air under them (like Bortles).  Which is fine, or can be.  Jones shows some nice touch and improving placement on deep balls, which is good.  But when it comes to the real tests of arm-strength...the real "drive" throws, he seems to mostly lack that natural live arm to really zip it in on a rope.  It's the same problem Bortles has (along with his ugly throwing motion and footwork occasionally falling apart) that leads to a bunch of turnovers when trying to threaten certain areas of the field and certain tight window throws.  It worries me a bit, because i don't want to have to worry about another QB where they don't have the natural pop in their arm to make certain types of throws, which inherently limits some of what your offense can effectively do conceptually.

I mean, all QBs are going to have drawbacks.  This year's crop is no different, and might even be a little more flawed than others.  You can't be totally afraid to take a chance...you've gotta find a guy somewhere, and high in the draft is still your best shot at doing that.  But i don't think it's unfair to be harsh and critical.  Realistically...most QBs are flawed, and aren't going to be bonafide franchise guys.  Since 2000 (not including 2017 & 2018 since it's still way too early), out of 45 QBs i count taken in the 1st round...i'd say ~13 of them have established themselves as franchise guys.  As the stable, long-term "Answer" at QB.  That's like...1 in ~3.5 who actually go on to be actual long-term franchise-stabilizing QBs.  That means, a lot of guys are gonna fall by the wayside.  Various degrees of not good enough, from stopgap or purgatory guy to backup to complete washout from the league.  Historically speaking, more guys are going to fail than succeed as long-term franchise QB solutions.  It gets even uglier outside the 1st round.

But every year, tons of people load up on a runaway hype train on the newest crop of QBs like there's all these great future franchise passers just waiting to thrive.  It's cool to get excited about guys, but i think it's still important to look at the flaws and pump the brakes a bit.  Especially when you look at the historical results and see that many of these guys flaws are more likely to see them end up falling short, than actually turning a franchise QB situation around long-term.  A 1st round pick, especially a Top-10ish one is a big chip to wager against some flaws or drawbacks.  Might as well discuss them imo.