2018 NFL Top 100 Players

Breesus mode

2 hours ago, Danger said:

JJ Watt, while good, is comparable to Calvin Johnson in that while he was incredibly dominant while on the field, his time actually being on the field was so brief in the grand scheme of things that he did not have time to cement himself there.

I'm sorry.. you don't believe Calvin Johnson, the Megatron, cemented himself as an NFL great? Come again?

8 minutes ago, packerrfan74 said:

I'm sorry.. you don't believe Calvin Johnson, the Megatron, cemented himself as an NFL great? Come again?

He's certainly not top a top 5 WR career wise. Maybe not even top 10. Had he played 4 or 5 more seasons he would have been top 3. He didn't play long enough to cement himself. He'll still make the Hall of Fame, but he won't be the standout even amongst them that he could have been.

7 minutes ago, Danger said:

He's certainly not top a top 5 WR career wise. Maybe not even top 10. Had he played 4 or 5 more seasons he would have been top 3. He didn't play long enough to cement himself. He'll still make the Hall of Fame, but he won't be the standout even amongst them that he could have been.

If you ignore bulk numbers and look at efficiency and production... he is absolutely top 5.

4 minutes ago, packerrfan74 said:

If you ignore bulk numbers and look at efficiency and production... he is absolutely top 5.

To be amongst the greatest you need both efficiency and longevity, even if you taper towards the twilight of your career. Hell if you don't play into your older days of course you're going to be more efficient. The old adage of "I hope I die before I get old."

4 minutes ago, Danger said:

To be amongst the greatest you need both efficiency and longevity, even if you taper towards the twilight of your career. Hell if you don't play into your older days of course you're going to be more efficient. The old adage of "I hope I die before I get old."

I think longevity is sustained after 6 seasons if you are consistently performing at an elite all time level. 

Is Emmitt Smiths 14 year career with 18,355 yds more impressive or "greater" than Barry Sanders' 15,269 over a 9 year career?

3 minutes ago, packerrfan74 said:

I think longevity is sustained after 6 seasons if you are consistently performing at an elite all time level. 

Is Emmitt Smiths 14 year career with 18,355 yds more impressive or "greater" than Barry Sanders' 15,269 over a 9 year career?

Do you know where Calvin Johnson Ranks all time in major receiving statistics? 

44th in receptions
29th in receiving yards
22nd in receiving TD

Meanwhile Barry Sander's career ranks
3rd in rushing yards
9th in TD
6th in yards from scrimmage

It's not really comparable. Calvin Johnson also played in large part during the most passing friendly era and still couldn't break top 20 in any of the major 3 statistics.

5 minutes ago, Danger said:

Do you know where Calvin Johnson Ranks all time in major receiving statistics? 

44th in receptions
29th in receiving yards
22nd in receiving TD

Meanwhile Barry Sander's career ranks
3rd in rushing yards
9th in TD
6th in yards from scrimmage

It's not really comparable. Calvin Johnson also played in large part during the most passing friendly era and still couldn't break top 20 in any of the major 3 statistics.

How many WRs play into their late 30s vs. RBs?

Like I said, ignore bulk numbers because that **** is irrelevant to me. 

Most Rec. Yards in 1st 9 seasons:
1. Torry Holt - 11,864
2. Jerry Rice - 11,776
3. Calvin Johnson - 11,619
4. Marvin Harrison - 11,185
5. Rany Moss - 10,700

And if you want to look at it from age, Megatron retired at 30.. Most career receiving yards prior to 31st birthday, he is 2nd to only Randy Moss with 12,193.

2 minutes ago, packerrfan74 said:

How many WRs play into their late 30s vs. RBs?

Like I said, ignore bulk numbers because that **** is irrelevant to me. 

Most Rec. Yards in 1st 9 seasons:
1. Torry Holt - 11,864
2. Jerry Rice - 11,776
3. Calvin Johnson - 11,619
4. Marvin Harrison - 11,185
5. Rany Moss - 10,700

And if you want to look at it from age, Megatron retired at 30.. Most career receiving yards prior to 31st birthday, he is 2nd to only Randy Moss with 12,193.

Why are you pulling out arbitrary goalposts? 

Just now, packerrfan74 said:

I wouldn't really say they are arbitrary since Calvin Johnson retired after 9 seasons... 

Here's a more reasonable comparison for you since you yourself admitted that WR's play longer, to translate to RBs like you wanted to do.

Who had the superior career, Terrell Davis or Curtis Martin?

2 minutes ago, Danger said:

Here's a more reasonable comparison for you since you yourself admitted that WR's play longer, to translate to RBs like you wanted to do.

Who had the superior career, Terrell Davis or Curtis Martin?

Superior career, Martin. But TD was the better back.

3 minutes ago, packerrfan74 said:

@Danger genuinely curious where you would rank Calvin Johnson

Receivers definitely above him IMO

1. Jerry Rice
2. TO
2. Moss
4. Marvin Harrison
4. Larry Fitzgerald
6. Andre Johnson
7. Torry Holt
8. Cris Carter

After that there are probably a half dozen I'd mix him in with. Including the likes of Steve Smith, AnQuan Boldin, Michael Irvin, Isaac Bruce, Steve Smith, and Reggie Wayne

1 hour ago, packerrfan74 said:

And to think AB can pass Megatron for #2 on that list next year with 1709 yards, 2nd overall pick vs 195th overall pick.

Archived