2018 NFL Top 100 Players

Breesus mode

On 5/4/2018 at 10:24 AM, MSURacerDT55 said:

- No, he's not, yes he had about 4 dominant years but no that does not put him in the same breath as even a Bruce Smith, Warren Sapp or John Randle, let alone a Reggie White or Lawrence Taylor

- Come on bro, I saw the exact same guy, he was pedestrian, he had little to no impact (or godliness) in those games. Sorry 11 tackles in 5 games is not worthy of being on this list

- This and you are an example of getting caught into the moment and forgetting how historic this league really is and not respecting the magnitude of the players who've dominated years before.

Warren Sapp cannot compare to ANY of the players on that list and is not as good as JJ Watt. He always was, is, and will continue to be an overrated player.

24 minutes ago, BlaqOptic said:

Warren Sapp cannot compare to ANY of the players on that list and is not as good as JJ Watt. He always was, is, and will continue to be an overrated player.

wow been a while since I've seen that usernamer

4 hours ago, MSURacerDT55 said:

Horrible argument hoss, you should stop. You are basically saying dominant for the sake for being dominant, im talking about doing that for a sustained 10- 15 year a career. There have been plenty of guys who were dominant for a few years, when Watt does this for at least 10 years then will I consider him with those other legit greats. In laymans terms, im not a prisoner of the moment.

Fair enough. I guess I'm going for on-filed quality rather than a sustained period of performance. If his career would end now, I still would say he's up there just because of how dominant he was (and he was, clearly - in both run and pass defense). But to do it over a 10 year period takes a different kind of dominance, fair.

10 hours ago, BlaqOptic said:

This. JJ Watt was twice the player Sapp wishes he was. And yes I watched the majority of Sapp’s career.

On 5/4/2018 at 3:33 PM, Danger said:

Receivers definitely above him IMO

1. Jerry Rice
2. TO
2. Moss
4. Marvin Harrison
4. Larry Fitzgerald
6. Andre Johnson
7. Torry Holt
8. Cris Carter

After that there are probably a half dozen I'd mix him in with. Including the likes of Steve Smith, AnQuan Boldin, Michael Irvin, Isaac Bruce, Steve Smith, and Reggie Wayne

sorry man, this is just an asinine list. playing a long time and accumulating bulk stats does not make you a great player.

15 hours ago, BlaqOptic said:

K, the guy who revolutionized the 3 tech position. Some of you people have no idea what you are talking about, sorry. During and after he played, people looked at the position in a totally different way, they recruited a totally different type of athlete to fit the position because of the way he played. Are you kidding me??? You people kill me with this Watt crap, yes he's good but to blindly put him over established HOF'r is just plain disrespectful to this game and its great past. 

@BleedTheClock what do you think?

20 minutes ago, MSURacerDT55 said:

K, the guy who revolutionized the 3 tech position. Some of you people have no idea what you are talking about, sorry. During and after he played, people looked at the position in a totally different way, they recruited a totally different type of athlete to fit the position because of the way he played. Are you kidding me??? You people kill me with this Watt crap, yes he's good but to blindly put him over established HOF'r is just plain disrespectful to this game and its great past. 

@BleedTheClock what do you think?

I'd probably take peak JJ Watt over peak Warren Sapp, but you can't really go wrong. They're both elite players and in no way was Warren Sapp overrated. @BlaqOptic's take is goofy and he should feel a little bit bad about himself after posting that.

2 hours ago, game3525 said:

He is right.

Frank Gore is fifth all-time in rushing yards. How many people consider him a top ten RB of all-time?

The difference is Frank Gore was never considered Elite during his tenure. Everyone else I listed on that list above Calvin Johnson had at least a 5 year stretch were they were the crem de la crem and also continued to produce even after that.

9 hours ago, Duluther said:

This. JJ Watt was twice the player Sapp wishes he was. And yes I watched the majority of Sapp’s career.

You couldn't of watch the majority and ended up with that opinion. I'm sorry. You watching his Raiders days, absolutely. As a Buc, there was no DT in the NFL more dominate in his era! Not one. Only one remotely comparable would of been another HOF in John Randle.

Now if people want to debate who was better between him and Watt, go ahead. However not by dismissing Sapp as some sort of overrated POS scrub. That's just absurd.

39 minutes ago, Nabbs4u said:

You couldn't of watch the majority and ended up with that opinion. I'm sorry. You watching his Raiders days, absolutely.

Now if people want to debate who was better between him and Watt, go ahead. However not by dismissing Sapp as some sort of overrated POS scrub. That's just absurd.

If you're accusing me of lying, go ahead. That says more about you than it does about me. I'll keep my opinion just the same. I became an avid fan of the NFL in '98 (watched it since '96, give or take some time); Sapp entered the league in the '95 draft, so there's not much I missed. It's circumstantial, but my avatar since joining this site has been John Randle, Sapp's contemporary. If I watched Randle play, I watched Sapp play.

As a Buc, there was no DT in the NFL more dominate in his era! Not one. Only one remotely comparable would of been another HOF in John Randle.

How is this supposed to relate to what I said? J.J. being much better than Sapp stands independent of how good Sapp was compared to his contemporaries. Even if you wanted to go that route, J.J. is far beyond the next best DE of his time than Sapp was to Randle. But again, what's the point? Just compare the two (i.e. Sapp and Watt). 

Now if people want to debate who was better between him and Watt, go ahead. However not by dismissing Sapp as some sort of overrated POS scrub. That's just absurd

When did I say Sapp was some overrated POS scrub? Don't put words in my mouth. Sapp is in the HOF for a reason. It's possible for Player A to be much better than Player B and for Player B to still be a HOF player. And that's all I stated.

52 minutes ago, Duluther said:

When did I say Sapp was some overrated POS scrub? Don't put words in my mouth. Sapp is in the HOF for a reason. It's possible for Player A to be much better than Player B and for Player B to still be a HOF player. And that's all I stated.

You stated 

JJ Watt was twice the player Sapp wishes he was. And yes I watched the majority of Sapp’s career.

So if one is already a HOF and considered by many experts as one of if not the best 3 Technique DT's to ever play. What does that make Watt? The GOAT?

I mean if Sapp is only 1/2 the Player JJ is, where is Watt in NFL lore? I never had a problem with the suggestion by any of you that Watt was better, just with the way both you and Blaq tried to dismiss Sapp as some overrated afterthought who couldn't hold his jockstrap. That's all.

3 minutes ago, Nabbs4u said:

So if one is already a HOF and considered by many experts as one of if not the best 3 Technique DT's to ever play. What does that make Watt? The GOAT?

I mean... maybe?  Longevity is the only thing that will stop most people from making the argument, but Watt at his peak was probably playing at a GOAT-level.  He was a 3x DPOY after all.

29 minutes ago, Nabbs4u said:

You stated 

I mean if Sapp is only 1/2 the Player JJ is, where is Watt in NFL lore? I never had a problem with the suggestion by any of you that Watt was better, just with the way both you and Blaq tried to dismiss Sapp as some overrated afterthought who couldn't hold his jockstrap. That's all.

It’s just a colloquial phrase that means “quite a bit better than.” I don’t think anyone has ever used the phrase literally. I don’t think for every impact Sapp made or could make, that Watt would double it.

To rephrase my statement, Watt was quite a bit better than Sapp. 

Archived