Cobra Kai Season 1

TENINCH

This was so much better then I expected it to be. Love how they made the characters multifaceted and complicated. Not just Johnny = Bad, Daniel = Good. One of those shows I really didn't know who to pull for. Daniel has had the good life while Johnny lives in the slums, then Johnny going through a redemption arc. But then again Johnny is so crass and belligerent and Daniel tries so hard to be the "good guy". Even the students weren't so cut and dry. Miguel is a good hearted kid who starts his journey with good intentions but buys into Johnny's mantras and heads down a dark path, while Robby is a thief and starts his journey with bad intentions and learns balance then has his own redemption arc. Never really expected a Karate Kid spinoff to have such characters of depth. Was really quite impressed.

On 5/11/2018 at 12:29 AM, FourThreeMafia said:

Oh....and I hope the fight scenes are improved on a bit in season 2.   They were somewhat hit or miss in season 1. 

Agreed... although that one crane kick by Miguel mocking Daniel was on point though haha.

3 hours ago, Deadpulse said:

FYI for anyone who got youtube red to watch cobra kai, you can rent all three Karate Kid movies for .99 cents each. 

If you have Amazon Prime, you can watch the first one on Amazon Video for free.

I dont know if you can watch the other 2.   Didnt check.

3 hours ago, FourThreeMafia said:

If you have Amazon Prime, you can watch the first one on Amazon Video for free.

I dont know if you can watch the other 2.   Didnt check.

I think all three are on Hulu.

Just watched Karate Kid 1. Elisabeth Shue was my first ever crush. She taught me what sweater pillows were!!

I miss the 80s. Movies where a kid could turn into a werewolf and be great at basketball.

1 hour ago, TENINCH said:

Just watched Karate Kid 1. Elisabeth Shue was my first ever crush. She taught me what sweater pillows were!!

I miss the 80s. Movies where a kid could turn into a werewolf and be great at basketball.

I miss all 80s and 90s entertainment.   

I loved the first season. It was extremely well written. My only complaint is that I kind of hoped it would flip everything on its head by having Daniel lose his way and become the new Kreese (with his fixation on destroying Johnny and Miguel) instead of having Johnny and Cobra Kai turn back into what they once were. I'm a little disappointed in that aspect of it all, but there's no denying how good the writing was and how much depth there was to the characters.

13 minutes ago, jrry32 said:

I loved the first season. It was extremely well written. My only complaint is that I kind of hoped it would flip everything on its head by having Daniel lose his way and become the new Kreese (with his fixation on destroying Johnny and Miguel) instead of having Johnny and Cobra Kai turn back into what they once were. I'm a little disappointed in that aspect of it all, but there's no denying how good the writing was and how much depth there was to the characters.

I actually liked the way that all turned out.   I mean, they did have him kind of "lose his way" a bit, and thats why he went to talk to Miyagi and started doing karate again....to find his balance.....lesson for whole life, jrry-san.  :D

I definitely didnt want to see Daniel become like Kreese, and based on interviews Ive seen with Macchio, he wouldnt have done if they they completely turned his character to the dark side.....just like Zabka wasnt going to come back if they just made him Kreese either.    The best part of what they did is they explored both of their faults as human beings, but didnt make either out to be a bad guy or change the essence of either character.....Johnny is still an a-hole, but they explore why he became the way he did and he began to find some redemption......Daniel has become more cocky and narcissistic due to his success, but deep down still remembered the lessons taught to him by Miyagi and even his own mother.

I get where you are coming from, but again, I dont think the season wouldve even happened if they pitched Macchio becoming a bad guy...even if only temporarily. 

1 minute ago, FourThreeMafia said:

Johnny and Cobra Kai turn back into what they once were.

I'm not 100 on this. See spoiler:

Even though Kreese shows up at the end, I still think Johnny will ride the line. I expect him to resist Cobra Kai going full Kreese again.

2 minutes ago, FourThreeMafia said:

I actually liked the way that all turned out.   I mean, they did have him kind of "lose his way" a bit, and thats why he went to talk to Miyagi and started doing karate again....to find his balance.....lesson for whole life, jrry-san.  :D

I definitely didnt want to see Daniel become like Kreese, and based on interviews Ive seen with Macchio, he wouldnt have done if they they completely turned his character to the dark side.....just like Zabka wasnt going to come back if they just made him Kreese either.    The best part of what they did is they explored both of their faults as human beings, but didnt make either out to be a bad guy or change the essence of either character.....Johnny is still an a-hole, but they explore why he became the way he did and he began to find some redemption......Daniel has become more cocky and narcissistic due to his success, but deep down still remembered the lessons taught to him by Miyagi and even his own mother.

I get where you are coming from, but again, I dont think the season wouldve even happened if they pitched Macchio becoming a bad guy...even if only temporarily. 

Probably not, but I thought it would be a fun spin on the story. You gotta have the villain. I just hate that it's Cobra Kai again. What I absolutely loved is how they gave us flashbacks from Johnny's perspective that gave his character a lot more depth and showed his perspective (even if his actions weren't justifiable). He bullied Daniel because he was bullied by the two father figures in his life.

37 minutes ago, jrry32 said:

Probably not, but I thought it would be a fun spin on the story. You gotta have the villain. I just hate that it's Cobra Kai again. What I absolutely loved is how they gave us flashbacks from Johnny's perspective that gave his character a lot more depth and showed his perspective (even if his actions weren't justifiable). He bullied Daniel because he was bullied by the two father figures in his life.

Well, this season didnt have a true villain, and I think that was a good thing.  

Next season I expect to be different.

2 minutes ago, FourThreeMafia said:

Well, this season didnt have a true villain, and I think that was a good thing.  

Next season I expect to be different.

For most of it, no. By the end, Miguel and Hawk were emerging as villains.

39 minutes ago, Deadpulse said:

I'm not 100 on this. See spoiler:

Reveal hidden contents

Even though Kreese shows up at the end, I still think Johnny will ride the line. I expect him to resist Cobra Kai going full Kreese again.

Oh I agree he will fight it to a point, but I dont think he will succeed.

Main reason I believe this is because, with Daniel opening a dojo and Sam and Robbie figuring to be his students, they will be set up as a the "good guys", no doubt.      Based on the direction Johnny's students were going (fighting dirty....no mercy), I think Kreese will only push them further to that side, despite Johnny's best efforts to prevent that.

PS....how did you insert that hidden contents box?     O.o

Archived