Ranking The Roster - #2

TitanLegend

Who is the 2nd best player on the Titans roster?  

32 members have voted

1. 1. Who is the 2nd best player on the Titans roster?

• Jurrell Casey
    • Delanie Walker
    • Marcus Mariota
    • Jack Conklin
    • Kevin Byard
    • Malcolm Butler
    • Logan Ryan
    • Adoree Jackson
    • DaQuan Jones
    • Brian Orakpo
    • Derrick Morgan
    • Derrick Henry

I don't think there's even a remote debate about who the top two players are, and that's Lewan and Casey(the order of those two can be debated, but them being the top 2 is set in stone, IMO). After them, Walker, Byard and Conklin have an argument as #3 IMO.

Kevin Byard is All Pro but Casey is better?

Yeah he's been doing it longer and has the larger sample size but if we're talking about who is better going into 2018-19 I'm going with the All Pro.

4 hours ago, dtait93 said:

Kevin Byard is All Pro but Casey is better?

Yeah he's been doing it longer and has the larger sample size but if we're talking about who is better going into 2018-19 I'm going with the All Pro.

While I understand your rationale, Casey plays(ed) a role that isn't as big for the stat type plays. Makes his impact go a little unnoticed sometimes. A lot of Byards work also came in just a couple/few big games.

I do think that Byard is going to be in the conversation these next couple spots and would only be lower on the list because of the smaller sample size than others.

My guess- Byard lands at either 3 or 4. Next 3 being Walker, Byard, Conklin with Conklin probably landing last of the 3.

On 5/3/2018 at 12:33 PM, TheMonarch1110 said:

While I understand your rationale, Casey plays(ed) a role that isn't as big for the stat type plays. Makes his impact go a little unnoticed sometimes. A lot of Byards work also came in just a couple/few big games.

I do think that Byard is going to be in the conversation these next couple spots and would only be lower on the list because of the smaller sample size than others.

My guess- Byard lands at either 3 or 4. Next 3 being Walker, Byard, Conklin with Conklin probably landing last of the 3.

If you truly think most of Byard's work came in a couple/few games then I assume you are just valuing him for his 8 interceptions. If my assumptions are correct, then you don't understand the full scope of the impact he has on the field. Idk how you can conclude that Casey's impact can go a little unnoticed, yet in the position Byard plays, he isn't even on the screen half the time. You aren't seeing how he is influencing the quarterbacks decisions, which they don't have a stat for.

I believe people are voting off of how long (lifetime achievement voting as @RuskieTitan well put it) the player has been doing it rather than basing their vote off of last year going into this year. I especially think this is true after seeing how the votes have panned out in favor of Delanie over Byard as the third best player on our team in the other thread.

Naw. I know Byard is great. A lot of people see "Oh, he led the league in interceptions" and think that's the whole story and gets him upvoted too. Most of those INTs came from just a couple games. His impact is more than that, but it's those plays that end up being the stand out to make people think he's good except for his actual impact that goes unnoticed.

I actually agree with Ruskie after I read that comment in the vote for 3. After reading it, I would change my vote to Byard over Delanie. It's just hard to trust one full year of great production after seeing it from others for a longer period of time. Don't want to get caught in the hype of a great season for it to all fall apart. Hopefully that won't be the case for Byard.

4 hours ago, dtait93 said:

If you truly think most of Byard's work came in a couple/few games then I assume you are just valuing him for his 8 interceptions. If my assumptions are correct, then you don't understand the full scope of the impact he has on the field. Idk how you can conclude that Casey's impact can go a little unnoticed, yet in the position Byard plays, he isn't even on the screen half the time. You aren't seeing how he is influencing the quarterbacks decisions, which they don't have a stat for.

I believe people are voting off of how long (lifetime achievement voting as @RuskieTitan well put it) the player has been doing it rather than basing their vote off of last year going into this year. I especially think this is true after seeing how the votes have panned out in favor of Delanie over Byard as the third best player on our team in the other thread.

Here's the simple question I base these ranking off of... if I could only choose one of these players to be on the team next season, Casey ranks ahead of Byard, and its not by a landslide, but it's a pretty decisive answer for me.  

While we need to keep an eye on current and very recent successes, consistency definitely plays a part.  Casey has been one of our best players and one of the top DL in the league for a few years... hasn't experienced a drop off, and we don't expect one coming soon.  As great as Byard was last season, I need to see him maintain this and show consistency year to year.  How many times hasn't a player been able to replicate his success?  

For both, I expect the celing to be All-Pro/Pro Bowl level type play.  Casey's floor is much higher than Byard's however.  

53 minutes ago, ragevsuall17 said:

Here's the simple question I base these ranking off of... if I could only choose one of these players to be on the team next season, Casey ranks ahead of Byard, and its not by a landslide, but it's a pretty decisive answer for me.  

While we need to keep an eye on current and very recent successes, consistency definitely plays a part.  Casey has been one of our best players and one of the top DL in the league for a few years... hasn't experienced a drop off, and we don't expect one coming soon.  As great as Byard was last season, I need to see him maintain this and show consistency year to year.  How many times hasn't a player been able to replicate his success?  

For both, I expect the celing to be All-Pro/Pro Bowl level type play.  Casey's floor is much higher than Byard's however.  

Yeah I'm the exact opposite. If I had to choose one for next year I'm hands down going Byard. He's been nothing but consistent since he's started and he hasn't even plateaued yet. He's still on an upward trajectory. Idk if he'll get All Pro again but even if the votes don't fall his way I don't see any reason why he can't maintain top 5 status. He has great instincts, takes good angles, is a sure tackler, sets the tone, is a great ball hawk, and makes big time plays. There's literally nothing to dislike about his game other than the fact he hasn't been doing it as long as some of the other guys.

Edit: Also, how do you know Casey's floor is higher than Byard's? Not sure how you would prove that.

3 hours ago, dtait93 said:

Edit: Also, how do you know Casey's floor is higher than Byard's? Not sure how you would prove that.

Its my opinion (hence why I started that paragraph with "I expect")... And based on the fact that Casey has been great for at least the last 5 seasons, and really since his rookie year... In spite of DC, scheme, lack of talent around him, etc.

Casey has been severely underrated by the media his whole career, due to being on bad teams. Hes been this decade's Bulluck in terms of that. But hes been nothing short of great, and continues to be so. Acknowledging how great Casey is is not a direct shot at Byard (although I do need to see an encore before I fully drink the Kool-Aid)

Archived